You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Commuting

Walton Park

'Cuddly Hawkwind fan eating burger on the 335 to Shipton on the morning commute, You early twenties, blond hair, plaid skirt and a hole in your tights about an inch from your girdle. We met eyes after you caught me looking up your skirt, I saw you pulling at it down and letting it ride up, over and over again, trying to entice me. Fancy meeting round me mams for a quick fumble, we'll have to be quiet though me mam doesn’t let girls over normally'

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Commuting is one of the banes of existence. A complete waste of time and it depresses the fuck out of me. 

Mate of mine does two hours each way, five days a week for a job he hates. Leaving at five thirty and getting in around eight/nine.

He’s been doing this for two years, he had a breakdown last year and had to take time off for stress, work we’re sympathetic, he now only commutes four days.

He’s a husk of the person I used to know.

He rides to the station from his house on a Brompton at half five, gets on a packed train for an hour, then gets the underground and finally a fifteen minute bike ride. Then the reverse on the way home.

Everyday, fuck that. 

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Mate of mine does two hours each way, five days a week for a job he hates. Leaving at five thirty and getting in around eight/nine.

He’s been doing this for two years, he had a breakdown last year and had to take time off for stress, work we’re sympathetic, he now only commutes four days.

Nightmare. 

20 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

He rides to the station from his house on a Brompton at half five, gets on a packed train for an hour, then gets the underground and finally a fifteen minute bike ride. Then the reverse on the way home.

Everyday, fuck that. 

Ah, but you’re not considering the adrenaline rush he gets as he battles to get on a packed train. Makes it all worth it. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Ah, but you’re not considering the adrenaline rush he gets as he battles to get on a packed train. Makes it all worth it. 

It’s about the only thing that gets him through the day, that and a Tesco meal deal and the hope that one day he’ll be dead and not have to do this anymore. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Everyday, fuck that. 

Life really is too short. Wherever you are, mister, there has to be another way

28 minutes ago, Champ said:

Life really is too short. Wherever you are, mister, there has to be another way

Fully story...

His wife took a job ‘that she just must have’ in truth it was a terrible backwards step, but she’s too busy trying to emulate her dead mother career, genuinely Freud would have a field day, but she’s too self absorbed to ever realise this. She’s a live-in teacher at a crap boarding school, which means she gets one day a weekend per month off, meaning they can’t do fuck all with their weekends. He committed to this as they’re idiots (aspirational, pointy elbowed, entitled middle class fops) who saw this as a quick way to saving a fortune and buying a house as her job comes with a home onsite, literally 100 feet from her desk. They reasoned that they’d save a fortune by not paying London rent, without factoring in the cost of his commute £6000 per year!

So now they have two kids that’s with a nanny all day and in to the evening whilst they work themselves silly for less than they would have been earning and literally no social/cultural life. Her wage covers the nanny as they need her five days a week between 7am and 6pm. 

So in short he travels four hours everyday, only sees his kids at the weekend when he has to be principle parent as she’s working, so never really gets to rest, they don’t see friends and have taken a financial hit to be worn out, isolated and miserable.

A cautionary tale for the modern world.

• Upvote 2

I've done plenty of travelling to work, usually in a van/car, maximum 2 hours. 

I used to get the train from Southampton to Chertsey which wasn't so bad as it was very early morning but the return was usually horrendous, on that same job there was a few lads who travelled each day from Stoke-on-Trent by van which I found unbelievable. 

First day back in 6 months. 5 min walk to the station, car park is empty, 5 mins to buy a ticket.  Old bloke gets to the window just before me (no one else on the platform) and he proceeds to plan a journey he’s making next fucking week, but all the tickets and a fucking railcard.  Twat. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Went into the City yesterday, completely deserted, closed shops and bars everywhere. Really unsettling. I hear rumours that developers currently building central london office skyscrapers are considering abandoning half built construction sites rather than keep spending money on building new offices they know they won’t be able to let. If true, the city will soon be full of abandoned rusty construction sites which will push more people out and lead to a downward spiral. Why pay a fortune to rent an expensive office in a ghost town with no shops or bars and surrounded by half built derelict buildings ? 

I think the days of commuting 5 days a week to sit in an office looking at a computer screen are over. Fuck knows how much money is tied up in london office real estate but it must be billions of £s relying on office rents. This could be another sub prime in the making. 

The next sub prime time bomb is never far away because nobody ever addresses the structural problem of the fact nonody has any money.

Nobody has any money because it's been taken out of people's pay packets and pensions and siphoned off by shareholders, tax avoidance schemes or swiss bank accounts.

They've tried to put a sticking plaster on the problem, inflated house prices, household debt, cheap credit, leasing cars instead of selling them, student loans "powering" the night time and leisure economy in a lot of cities, turning apartments into apart hotels or flogging them to foreign investors becsuse no locals can afford them. It's always just a matter of time. The next time bomb after this one will be student debt I reckon.

This is why Monopoly is so boring towards the end, because one person has got all the money, and once you're past the point of no return, borrowing off them just perpetuates the agony because you no longer have a chance of winning.

• Upvote 1