You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Commuting

Walton Park

i work in Manchester nowadays and apart from days working at home, its a two train every day commute, usually (including waiting time in between trains) over two hours in all. I don't mind it because i get to actually read books again, listen to albums and podcasts i've not heard before, which otherwise i wouldn't have the time to do. 

Given the choice i'd rather work in Liverpool again, but needs must at the moment.  

• Upvote 1

Becoming a fucking joke. Again. Not only have the cheeky cunts put the prices up despite 48% of trains last year being either delayed, late or cancelled but the cheeky cunts have also started taking carriages off already over-crowded trains. Fucking commute this morning on the Liverpool / Norwich train via Manchester had just 2 carriages. I got on it at 8:05 which indicates how bang in the middle of commuter time this was. The train normally has 5 carriages. oh no, cost cutting commuter robbing. Fuck you having to stand up or sit on the bin while being squashed by some lynx africa cunt, oh no, that's not important to us. We will even make you late you cunt. We gotta save/make money off you. Its an absolute fucking joke. Slags. 

I dont mind getting up for work, I actually enjoy my job and am glad to be back on the treadmill but by the time I get to picadilly i'm so fucking angry that I turn up pissed off. It takes me a good hour to calm down. Not only are the trains cunts, the train staff cunts, the prices cunts, the fucking people who set the arrival times lying cunts but the people I commute with are by and large cunts as well. Fucking out for themselves push out the way i'm more important than you bastards. Fucking snooty cunt got on at Birchwood on an already packed train and could see people were standing all the way down the aisles yet still pushed their way down the carriage looking for an empty seat that quite clearly did. not. fucking. exist then had the audacity to tut loudly and look at people sat down as if they are in the fucking wrong for sitting down before him. Fucking blazer twat if he had been closer to me I would have swung for the fucker. 

They should change the name of the film Trains, Planes and Automobiles to Cunting Travesty, Planes and Automobiles. 

If I ever flip and decide I am leading the fucking revolution I guarantee it will be on a fucking train. I'll just get off at the next stop with the severed heads of ticket inspector, mouth breathers and seat snobs and declare a free fucking life for all. Enjoy the world for fuck sake, kill all cunts. 

Capitalism baby, let's drive that profit margin!

My working hours are so consistently insane that I virtually never hit the rush hour. When I was commuting into London the shortened carriages thing was particularly annoying.

Maybe you could speak to you boss about flexi-time to try and avoid the busiest times?

Becoming a fucking joke. Again. Not only have the cheeky cunts put the prices up despite 48% of trains last year being either delayed, late or cancelled but the cheeky cunts have also started taking carriages off already over-crowded trains. Fucking commute this morning on the Liverpool / Norwich train via Manchester had just 2 carriages. I got on it at 8:05 which indicates how bang in the middle of commuter time this was. The train normally has 5 carriages. oh no, cost cutting commuter robbing. Fuck you having to stand up or sit on the bin while being squashed by some lynx africa cunt, oh no, that's not important to us. We will even make you late you cunt. We gotta save/make money off you. Its an absolute fucking joke. Slags. 

I dont mind getting up for work, I actually enjoy my job and am glad to be back on the treadmill but by the time I get to picadilly i'm so fucking angry that I turn up pissed off. It takes me a good hour to calm down. Not only are the trains cunts, the train staff cunts, the prices cunts, the fucking people who set the arrival times lying cunts but the people I commute with are by and large cunts as well. Fucking out for themselves push out the way i'm more important than you bastards. Fucking snooty cunt got on at Birchwood on an already packed train and could see people were standing all the way down the aisles yet still pushed their way down the carriage looking for an empty seat that quite clearly did. not. fucking. exist then had the audacity to tut loudly and look at people sat down as if they are in the fucking wrong for sitting down before him. Fucking blazer twat if he had been closer to me I would have swung for the fucker. 

They should change the name of the film Trains, Planes and Automobiles to Cunting Travesty, Planes and Automobiles. 

If I ever flip and decide I am leading the fucking revolution I guarantee it will be on a fucking train. I'll just get off at the next stop with the severed heads of ticket inspector, mouth breathers and seat snobs and declare a free fucking life for all. Enjoy the world for fuck sake, kill all cunts. 

I take it you're more a Lynx Java man.

Why does it cost less to use less carriages?

They are just boxes no engine in them. Don't get it.

Probably the electricity from lighting and heating. To be honest I don't think they do it to cut costs. I think they do it to piss people off. 

I do have sympathies for you Stig but I also sympathise for the train workers who are every bit as inconvenienced by delays as you, perhaps even more and also have to put up with misdirected irate customers.

It's fucking outrageous how much trains costs for relatively short distances, especially during peak periods for atrocious packed conditions.

• 2 years later...

This is genuinely one of the maddest articles I’ve ever read. Utterly fucking mental. I mean, who doesn’t miss the daily dose of adrenaline and road rage and almost getting ran over by a bus? If this is all they’ve got to get people back the office they’re fucked. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/get-back-on-the-train-commuting-is-the-ticket-to-a-better-you-dgq0fs769

Get back on the train! Commuting is the ticket to a better you

Without a journey to work, we miss the chance to unwind, be creative or even find a partner, says Iain Gately

It’s been nearly six months since we were first asked to work from home, and one of the early silver linings of lockdown was — I think we can all agree — not having to spend a large proportion of every morning and evening with our nose pressed into a stranger’s armpit on a packed train or bus.

But, with a half a year to reflect, did we wish our commutes away too readily? If you’re not back at your desk, isn’t a small piece of you missing that daily ride to and from the office? For many of us, the commute is part of who we are — and it serves a useful purpose.

The average British commute is — or at least was — 58.4 minutes a day, and people frequently refer to it as “drudgery”.

But that doesn’t match the science. When, in 2004, the technology company Hewlett Packard attached electrodes to the heads and chests of rail commuters, it found the elation and anxiety they experienced when rushing for trains and jostling for space were as intense as the emotions felt by fighter pilots during combat. Commuting gives a daily double dose of free adrenaline.

Even for those driving to work, which is still what most British commuters do, a bit of road rage can be good for us, a way to let off steam in a controlled environment. As Tom Vanderbilt writes in his study Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do: “It can be quite therapeutic to act like a yelling maniac once in a while, and the plush, leather-seated interior of a car provides a nice, semi-private environment in which to do that. Remember, in traffic, no one can hear you scream.”

The cyclists among us may well be experiencing withdrawal symptoms from the endorphin surges caused by slippery roads after rain and near collisions with buses and careless pedestrians.

For others, commuting offers tranquillity: two periods of limbo in between home and work, that allow us to steel ourselves for a stint at the coal face, and unwind before we return to the gentler pleasures of domesticity (and not take the stresses of the office out on our families).

“It was my ‘conversion’ time, where I slipped out of work mode and into my ‘home self’,” says Daisy Hollands, a writer.

“Lines are so blurred now. My boyfriend even calls our kitchen the staff canteen. Without that gap between home and work, the whole day is just as one.”

The commute can also be a period of uncluttered thinking that history shows can lead to inspiration and creativity. Albert Einstein first wondered if time might be relative while he looked at the town hall clock on his daily train ride to Bern, where he worked as a patent clerk. Anthony Trollope wrote the first volumes of his Barchester Chronicles on trains, using a wooden laptop desk he balanced on his knees.

John le Carré’s career as an author began while he was working as an intelligence officer in London. “If I could write for an hour and a half on the train, I was already completely jaded by the time I got to the office to start work,” he wrote. “In the evening something again came back to me. I was always very careful to give my country second best.”

Commuting is of course the prime time to read a le Carré, or plough through a podcast. “I would normally listen to an Audible book in my car for an hour each way, and I now dream about that time,” says Alexandra Sedgemore, an account director. “I don’t have the time or energy to read once the children are in bed.”

When the psychologist Paul Bloom examined the question, “How can I be happy?” he decided that its answer lay in the definition of “I” rather than the “happy”. We have multiple, usually complementary, personalities that take turns at controlling us. There is a home “I”, a work “I” and a commuting “I”. Our commuting “I” might make loud unselfconscious phone calls and share our feelings with a captive audience. It might visit websites we wouldn’t dare click on in front of family, friends or colleagues: we can gamble, shop, check our horoscopes, go internet dating.

The Metro newspaper’s long-running “Rush Hour Crush” column demonstrates that many of us still dream of finding true love on our journey to or from work.

For most of our existence as a species, we’ve been hunter-gatherers, hardwired to spend part of each day in motion. The hunters of the Hadza tribe in Tanzania, for instance, spend an average of two hours travelling seven miles a day in search of their quarry. We need to roam, and are frustrated if denied the chance to do so. By placing the “commuting” part of our identity in furlough, we diminish ourselves.

If your office still won’t have you back, and you are missing the fields flying by on your twice daily train ride — or want to reinsert a buffer between work time and home time — surrogates are available. Full-length videos from many of Britain’s train rides are on YouTube, including such (often delayed) classics as Brighton to London Bridge.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

That Rush Hour Crush is some of the creepiest cringy shit ever. Proper perv section. 

"Rose between two thorns with the red handkerchief on the District Line, our eyes met, can our lips? Man in yellow overcoat with leopard print boots" 

You’re describing @Dr Nowt there aren’t you?