You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why I'm sick of being a Liverpool FC fan

Coro

Says that and then goes on a long tirade about the owners. Brilliant.

Shit article.

Jesus wept. Precisely the point of the article. Who gives a fuck who I think, or he thinks, or they say is to blame? Who gives a fuck that we need a new manager? Who gives a fuck about what Beacroft, Aldo, Whelan or anyone else with an opinion of us has to say? Let's stop trying to decide amongst ourselves, fellow reds, who is right and wrong, and let's all come together in actually doing as much as possible to remove the cunts from the head of our, yes OUR, club. I for one haven't done anywhere near enough. I've sat and listened, then argued and whined about the situation. If I want Rafa out and you want him to stay, that's fine, but let's all stop the in-house divides, because at the end of the day we all want the same thing - what's best for Liverpool FC. OUR Liverpool FC.

I've had enough and now I'm going to actively do as much as possible in the war, because that's what it is, against the.....I can't even manage to think of words that suffice to express my emotions towards those two twats. Come on eh, let's get back to the Liverpool Way (and any other impromtu rhyming sentences).

YNWA

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, because mass protests, boycotts, sit-ins etc worked really well at Newcastle and did a lot more than just make their fans a laughing stock.

The yanks have said they'll sell. This will take time. We have to wait for now.

I know where you're coming from mate, but anything we do won't make us a laughing stock. We, the fans, are far from a laughing stock. The club in its purist form, is far from a laughing stock for many reasons. The only jokes, albeit totally unfunny and erosive ones, attributed to our great club are the 2 cancers and all the "top level" people who are feeding off us like pure parasitic diseases.

We'll never be a laughing stock, no matter how many people tell us we are, but there are forces at large who are trying to turn us into one who need to be stopped. Something needs to change and I'm not sure sitting back and waiting will bring that change, but you may well be right and I may be wrong. Who knows. We'll soon enough see

That fan was dead right as well, the club always should come first before anyone, manager, players, board members, etc etc....

Sadly many don't see it that way, thats why we are paralyzed in our efforts to rid the club of the two fuckers currently at the helm.

Really good quote that.

Yes, because mass protests, boycotts, sit-ins etc worked really well at Newcastle and did a lot more than just make their fans a laughing stock.

The yanks have said they'll sell. This will take time. We have to wait for now.

How do you wait for now? Are you stuck in a time machine or something?

Don't suppose anyone here will be interested but a couple of forums have decided to put there differences aside and actually do something about the ownership. SOS currently has 5000 members if everyone of them convinced just one person to join, well you know the rest.

Suppose you could spend everyday arguing about Rafa instead.

Well Red - a Liverpool FC blog: Why I'm sick of being a LIVERPOOL FC fan

I NEVER thought I'd write this, but I'm sick of being a Liverpool fan.

Not sick of Liverpool FC: I still find myself staring at my ticket stubs or thumbing through an old programme and enjoying the fond memories of Istanbul, Dortmund, Cardiff, Barcelona; my first derby win or even my first game, a less than glamourous Rumbelows Cup win over Crewe.

I still feel the emotions rise when I watch the DVD of that night in the Ataturk and I still get riled when faced with a crowing Manc (although there's not too many of them about right now).

So as I say, I still love the club.

But the being a fan bit? Well I'm sick of the soap opera, peeved with the politics and right now the whole thing has left me feeling a bit worn out and fatigued; my passion has been sapped.

Months ago, I glanced at the fixture list and I'd mentally pencilled in the Hull game as a trip I'd be making.

End of season, day in the sun, couple of bevvies, a laugh, and hopefully a comprehensive victory for the Mighty Reds.

That's how it went in my head anyway.

But who was I kidding? I keep making that mistake – thinking football is still the way it used to be. It's not – not at Liverpool anyway.

The Liverpool I know had its heart ripped from it and thrown in the Mersey long ago. Now it's all about being pro-Rafa or anti-Rafa. About belonging to one forum but hating another. About blaming the owners for ruining our club or claiming it's an excuse. About believing the Rafa stories, the Gerrard stories or the Purslow stories – or not believing them.

All in all it's a whole lot of in-fighting and that has punched my enthusiasm in the solar plexus and left it rolling on the floor and gasping for air.

So I didn't go to the Hull match – didn't even try to get a ticket, and after briefly toying with the idea of tracking down an ale house screening it 'on the foreign', I settled for listening to Aldo and co on Radio City.

The match, well you know the score, depressingly familiar – Aldo sounded like he'd had enough, too.

It just washed over me, I was barely arsed. In fact, the most excited I got was when Chelsea went 2-0 up and I knew the Mancs wouldn't be lifting number 19. How sad is that?

So that was that and it was back to the politics. Rafa Benitez referring to "senior sources" on several occasions in his press conference, a clear reference to the planting of information in the media by those "senior sources". The same senior sources that took it upon themselves to talk about players with other clubs without the manager's knowledge.

That was like throwing a piece of meat to the hungry hounds – off we went again: the manager is out of order, Purslow is out of order, Rafa rubbed his hands together once (that really is a rumour going around, well part of it anyway), Gerrard doesn't care, Madrid want him, he's definitely going, it's Lucas's fault...and on and on and on until your left rocking yourself in the darkness, mumbling and praying for mercy.

The thing is, if anyone is rubbing their hands together and thinking about money, it's Tom Hicks and George Gillett. Because while we slug it out amongst ourselves – falling out on forums, arguing in boozers, even scrapping at the match – they continue to rape and pillage our club relatively – in terms of our worldwide (or even match-going) support – unchallenged.

The debt is mounting up, the loan from the off-shore company to the club is growing – and what are the majority of our support doing about it? Nothing.

Yes, there's Spirit of Shankly – they've done a sterling job. They have sent out the message that Liverpool fans will not just roll over and have their belly tickled by the carpet-bagging American pair.

But their ranks contain approximately 5,000 members – a fraction of the people who attend Anfield regularly and a mere spec on the radar when global support for Liverpool is totted up.

So why are so many doing so little? Are they burying their head in the sand? Can they not concentrate long enough to get their head around what Hicks and Gillett are doing to the club? Or are they just buying the spin and waiting for Sky Sports to tell them about it?

There's so many messages flying around the world about Liverpool FC that perhaps they are just not hearing the right one – the one that says Hicks and Gillett are ruining our club, dragging it down from its perch with barely a kick or a scream and pointing it in the direction of the road Leeds and Newcastle took after financial mismanagement – the road to nowhere.

It's a road the club is on now, despite what new chairman Martin Broughton tells us. Something will happen in months, people are interested, he says. Exactly what managing director Christian Purslow told us when he arrived.

We've gained another suit, but as a club we're still shivering in the cold, stark naked, looking in at the Premier League and Champions League parties knowing we've got no chance of an invite.

Meanwhile, the banks have extended deadlines, the interest – at £110,000 A DAY – continues to mount and Hicks and Gillett sit thousands of miles away, sitting and waiting for the buyer that never comes.

But for some all that doesn't matter. They want Benitez out and Jose Mourinho in. It doesn't matter if we haven't got money, he's got to go and Jose? Well, he'll happily kiss goodbye to Inter Milan, ignore a possible offer from Real Madrid and walk into a club on its knees who will pay him less than he can get elsewhere. It would be career suicide. It makes no sense at all. But still people say it.

That kind of debate suits the Americans just fine. It's another distraction and another step away from what would really get them thinking – mass, organised protest. Boycotts. Pressure. More of the same from Spirit of Shankly only with more bodies behind them, more money in the coffers, more helping hands to get the wheels turning.

But for many of the tactics that would truly make them sit up and notice to work it needs the whole of the Liverpool support on board – and as it stands that support is so factious, that doesn't look like happening anytime soon.

Hicks and Gillett can turn to their PR firms (or those "senior sources") to keep the pot bubbling with distractions about players, managers and rubbing hands. It's divide and conquer - the oldest trick in the book. And it's working a treat.

But who needs PR firms when you've got rumours (a speciality of the City of Liverpool), forum 'insiders' and journalists happy to be spoon-fed information and reproduce it as 'fact' without questioning its validity?

It all keeps fans from coming together and fighting the cancer that is eating away at our loved one. And that's exactly what the profit-obsessed charlatans want.

Pathetic but Im not surprised.

Im never sick, tired or ashamed to be a fan of my great club. Just because the club is poorly run now and the previous ten years or so doesnt affect the way I feel.

And some people like the OP try to give it large on here? Fuck right off.

Don't suppose anyone here will be interested but a couple of forums have decided to put there differences aside and actually do something about the ownership. SOS currently has 5000 members if everyone of them convinced just one person to join, well you know the rest.

Suppose you could spend everyday arguing about Rafa instead.

Not exactly putting your differences aside, eh?

Get on with the takeover before we take over

Posted on May 13th, 2010 by Jim Boardman

It’s depressing enough being a Liverpool fan just by looking at the league table or that big taxi-meter style counter totting up the ridiculous daily interest payments the club has to make. Then you find yourself trying to reason with people who have far more interest in seeing the manager replaced than finding ways of making the owners sell up more quickly. People who are so set on seeing that manager gone that they just won’t stop for a few minutes and consider that maybe, just maybe, it’s not all as simple as blaming one person for all the ills this club has to endure.

Then you realise that many of those people you’ve been trying to reason with haven’t got the courage to step away from the little group they’re in and actually think about things all by themselves, to make their own minds up, to question the joint opinion of their little group on all things LFC and to maybe even risk finding themselves drummed out of that little group. So, briefly, you wonder why you even bothered trying; they’ll not change their minds until one of their leaders or advisers tells them to.

That’s when you realise that you’re not talking to them, not really. They won’t change their minds in a hurry, but a lot of people listen in without getting involved. And they are the people you’re talking to really, people who will listen to all that is said and make their own minds up. People who don’t just follow their leader. People with the sense to see that people at the club are using fans for their own ends.

Rafa BenitezElsewhere someone else is trying to reason with people who won’t admit to Rafa making any mistakes at all – but if they did admit those mistakes they’d soon be able to turn the conversations back to the people who have wilfully messed things up for this club, deliberately acted in a way that put this club to so much harm. Rafa makes mistakes. Others made no mistake – they knew full well what they were doing.

Since Rafa Benitez signed his new contract, as negotiated by Christian Purslow back in March 2009, Liverpool have not spent much at all in the transfer market. In fact they’ve spent less than they got back in, with the profit since then currently standing at £6.3m. And that’s including the purchase of Jonjo Shelvey, who is of course yet to play for Liverpool.

An £8m profit on player trading in terms of players available for the season just gone and the priority is to get rid of the manager? Yes, Aquilani was a gamble and it didn’t pay off. But is that enough to make it right to send this message to the owners, this message that they’ve spent more than enough, thanks very much? Is it enough to tell them that, in fact, we’re so happy with their work on our finances that we’ll gladly let them free up money to pay a bit of that interest by selling more players this summer without reinvesting the proceeds into the squad?

Some people have started to turn on Rafa perhaps because they’ve started to think it’s the only change that could actually happen if they shout loudly enough. The reasoning seems to go that although it won’t fix the problems with the owners, and the new manager would probably have to sell some star names to get the funds to build a new squad, maybe it might work.

It might not.

And it will buy yet more time for owners who should have put up or shot off a long time ago. It buys more time for an MD who negotiated a contract that it is claimed would cost Liverpool £16m, to be paid within 24 hours, to terminate. If that’s true he should resign for that one major gaffe alone, if it’s false then maybe we need to talk about whether it’s right for Liverpool’s MD to be talking to the media the way he does. It also buys time for a chairman who promised a sale within a matter of months – I can hear it now: “The appointment of a new manager has caused us some delays in attracting a buyer; they are very keen on buying the club but wanted to see how well the new manager settled in first. It’ll be a done deal in a couple of months.”

There are still claims being made that the manager got his new contract so it all looked good to potential investors. Obviously that pretty much cancels out the idea that Rafa would have a contract that has to be paid in full the day after he is sacked, because that just does not look good to potential investors. But that expensive pay-off is being touted as the only reason he’s not yet been sacked. And then we’re told there aren’t any problems at the club, that Rafa is well and truly loved by his board and we shouldn’t even dream of suggesting otherwise – not with those potential investors ready to make a billion-dollar decision on the strength of an article on a website somewhere or other.

Still no regenerationPotential investors need to know something very important. This club is a long way from being harmonious. And maybe, just maybe, that is the best way this club will find a buyer.

What’s the point in inviting people to buy a perfect, sparkling, well-tuned club? They’re only going to be disappointed when they get here. And the fact they were brought here under false pretences means they’ll be gone quicker than the money from the Standard Chartered deal.

So tell the truth. Tell the buyers they’ve got work on their hands. They’ll need to appoint a new chairman (Broughton made it clear he’ll be gone after any sale), a new chief executive (we still haven’t got one) and they’ll need to get rid of the MD (we won’t need one with a CEO in place, and the MD is not a suitable CEO for this club). They’ll need to talk to the manager to see if they can give him what he asks for – and if they can’t then they need to make sure he knows that – no point making promises that won’t be kept.

And they’ll need to be honest with the supporters from day one. Those protests, the ones the MD pleaded should be kept to a minimum to avoid upsetting potential buyers; they’re not done because people see making anti-owner banners as a bit of a hobby. They’re not shouting to keep warm, they’re shouting about something that made them extremely angry. If those new owners can’t do what’s needed to stop those supporters being angry then they might as well go and buy some supermarkets or something.

If you think you can make money out of this club today, sell it today. If you think you can get a finder’s fee or a big chunk of commission then get it and go. Take your money and run.

If you think we’re annoyed now, just wait and see what happens when this renewed anger bubbling under the surface finally erupts. There’s more harmony amongst fans than you think. We’ve been stuck in this limbo far too long. Sooner or later we’ll snap out of this depression and stand up to you once more. Sooner or later we’ll stop arguing with each other and we’ll turn to you and your banks. Sooner or later we’ll make it impossible for you to pretend everything’s okay. The day that happens you’ll not be able to smooth-talk your way out of it. You’ll not be able to hide; you’ll not be able to run. You’ll wish you weren’t here. And you’ll not see it coming.

Sooner or later we’re taking our club back.

Anfield Road » Get on with the takeover before we take over

If you think we’re annoyed now, just wait and see what happens when this renewed anger bubbling under the surface finally erupts. There’s more harmony amongst fans than you think. We’ve been stuck in this limbo far too long. Sooner or later we’ll snap out of this depression and stand up to you once more. Sooner or later we’ll stop arguing with each other and we’ll turn to you and your banks. Sooner or later we’ll make it impossible for you to pretend everything's okay. The day that happens you’ll not be able to smooth-talk your way out of it. You’ll not be able to hide; you’ll not be able to run. You’ll wish you weren’t here. And you’ll not see it coming.

Sooner or later we’re taking our club back.

Anfield Road » Get on with the takeover before we take over

Superb article, particularly this bit ^

It’s depressing enough being a Liverpool fan just by looking at the league table or that big taxi-meter style counter totting up the ridiculous daily interest payments the club has to make.

This line ^ reminded me of this video -

YouTube - Tom and George - Killing Our Club

Edited by Coro

I will never be sick of being a liverpool supporter,but these two americans have fucked us over goodstyle.anything that can be done to hasten their departure should be applauded.The situation with the debt issue is the big thing at the moment not who is the manager or who is going or staying next season.This club is potentially in critical condition as far as finances go.Credit to SOS for realising the situation early and attempting to raise awareness and do something about it.

Edited by halewood pete
spelling correction

• 3 years later...
Its because we're not allowed to protest during the match, a time when the whole world would hear our disgust in the two greedy cunts who are killing our club.

Yet the PC brigade shout us down because it might have an adverse effect on those poor sensitive players who have to concentrate really hard on playing, or they might get knocked out of all major cup competitions in the early rounds and only finish 7th in the league if the fans dare show any hate for the twats that have ripped the heart out of our club while they are on the field.

So we have been reduced to a few of us staying behind singing to no one, while the TV cameras have moved on and the stadium manager has turned the lights off.

But its all good as long as we dont upset those poor sensitive multi millionaire's out there on the pitch.

Isn´t that the truth!

I admire SOS, when I have been over I have taken part in the protests and marches myself, BUT it is not enough simply because the great majority of the fans are so passive.

I am fascinated by the stance taken by some arguing that the support for the team on a matchday is more important than protesting about the future of the club.

There are tons of things wrong about football here in Brazil but the one thing they do have right is that the institution (the club) is far more important than its current incarnation (the team).

I have contected with various people to ask if they want to be put in touch with fans organisations at Corinthians, Hicks' previous 'adventure' into football to see if something could be organised, if they had some suugestions etc. I had ONE reply voicing fears that the tactics adopted by Corinthians to get rid of previous management (after relegation in 2007 they stormed the AGM and effectively locked in the board members) would be 'too radical'.

Frankly, who gives a toss about the team when the very future of the club is at stake. As a group of fans we are too nice and too tame when it comes to the owners.

At the same time, we are, as the article rightly points out, constantly engaged in petty crap about

Rafa or the yanks

Rafa or the yanks

Rafa or the yanks blah blah blah

As if saying it often enough will somehow make it any less pathetic or any more true.

One Corinthians fan told me a few weeks ago that 'the badge is everything, the team are just a temporary representation of that badge. If you don't understand that, you get what you deserve'.

A bit strong perhaps, but sadly not that wrong.

That fan was dead right as well, the club always should come first before anyone, manager, players, board members, etc etc....

Sadly many don't see it that way, thats why we are paralyzed in our efforts to rid the club of the two fuckers currently at the helm.

Coro, whats your take on these post?

Haha so you agree it was a mistake not to continue the protests then?

People were very much against protests during the match and anyone protesting was frequently told to instead 'support the team'.

So empathise greatly with those posts, they're very much spot on.