You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why I'm sick of being a Liverpool FC fan

Coro

People were very much against protests during the match and anyone protesting was frequently told to instead 'support the team'.

So empathise greatly with those posts, they're very much spot on.

By the SOS?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[i'm going to apologise to Coro, because I had a pop at him in another thread for leading with personal abuse.]

Code - For fuck's sake, shut the fuck up, you shit-stirring, boring, antagonistic fucker!

All this bullshit was bad enough 3 years ago. These days, most of us have moved on (to low-level bickering, at worst). Leave the ghosts of the recent past where they lie.

And - did I mention? - shut the fuck up.

• 2 months later...
Well Red - a Liverpool FC blog: Why I'm sick of being a LIVERPOOL FC fan

I NEVER thought I'd write this, but I'm sick of being a Liverpool fan.

Not sick of Liverpool FC: I still find myself staring at my ticket stubs or thumbing through an old programme and enjoying the fond memories of Istanbul, Dortmund, Cardiff, Barcelona; my first derby win or even my first game, a less than glamourous Rumbelows Cup win over Crewe.

I still feel the emotions rise when I watch the DVD of that night in the Ataturk and I still get riled when faced with a crowing Manc (although there's not too many of them about right now).

So as I say, I still love the club.

But the being a fan bit? Well I'm sick of the soap opera, peeved with the politics and right now the whole thing has left me feeling a bit worn out and fatigued; my passion has been sapped.

Months ago, I glanced at the fixture list and I'd mentally pencilled in the Hull game as a trip I'd be making.

End of season, day in the sun, couple of bevvies, a laugh, and hopefully a comprehensive victory for the Mighty Reds.

That's how it went in my head anyway.

But who was I kidding? I keep making that mistake – thinking football is still the way it used to be. It's not – not at Liverpool anyway.

The Liverpool I know had its heart ripped from it and thrown in the Mersey long ago. Now it's all about being pro-Rafa or anti-Rafa. About belonging to one forum but hating another. About blaming the owners for ruining our club or claiming it's an excuse. About believing the Rafa stories, the Gerrard stories or the Purslow stories – or not believing them.

All in all it's a whole lot of in-fighting and that has punched my enthusiasm in the solar plexus and left it rolling on the floor and gasping for air.

So I didn't go to the Hull match – didn't even try to get a ticket, and after briefly toying with the idea of tracking down an ale house screening it 'on the foreign', I settled for listening to Aldo and co on Radio City.

The match, well you know the score, depressingly familiar – Aldo sounded like he'd had enough, too.

It just washed over me, I was barely arsed. In fact, the most excited I got was when Chelsea went 2-0 up and I knew the Mancs wouldn't be lifting number 19. How sad is that?

So that was that and it was back to the politics. Rafa Benitez referring to "senior sources" on several occasions in his press conference, a clear reference to the planting of information in the media by those "senior sources". The same senior sources that took it upon themselves to talk about players with other clubs without the manager's knowledge.

That was like throwing a piece of meat to the hungry hounds – off we went again: the manager is out of order, Purslow is out of order, Rafa rubbed his hands together once (that really is a rumour going around, well part of it anyway), Gerrard doesn't care, Madrid want him, he's definitely going, it's Lucas's fault...and on and on and on until your left rocking yourself in the darkness, mumbling and praying for mercy.

The thing is, if anyone is rubbing their hands together and thinking about money, it's Tom Hicks and George Gillett. Because while we slug it out amongst ourselves – falling out on forums, arguing in boozers, even scrapping at the match – they continue to rape and pillage our club relatively – in terms of our worldwide (or even match-going) support – unchallenged.

The debt is mounting up, the loan from the off-shore company to the club is growing – and what are the majority of our support doing about it? Nothing.

Yes, there's Spirit of Shankly – they've done a sterling job. They have sent out the message that Liverpool fans will not just roll over and have their belly tickled by the carpet-bagging American pair.

But their ranks contain approximately 5,000 members – a fraction of the people who attend Anfield regularly and a mere spec on the radar when global support for Liverpool is totted up.

So why are so many doing so little? Are they burying their head in the sand? Can they not concentrate long enough to get their head around what Hicks and Gillett are doing to the club? Or are they just buying the spin and waiting for Sky Sports to tell them about it?

There's so many messages flying around the world about Liverpool FC that perhaps they are just not hearing the right one – the one that says Hicks and Gillett are ruining our club, dragging it down from its perch with barely a kick or a scream and pointing it in the direction of the road Leeds and Newcastle took after financial mismanagement – the road to nowhere.

It's a road the club is on now, despite what new chairman Martin Broughton tells us. Something will happen in months, people are interested, he says. Exactly what managing director Christian Purslow told us when he arrived.

We've gained another suit, but as a club we're still shivering in the cold, stark naked, looking in at the Premier League and Champions League parties knowing we've got no chance of an invite.

Meanwhile, the banks have extended deadlines, the interest – at £110,000 A DAY – continues to mount and Hicks and Gillett sit thousands of miles away, sitting and waiting for the buyer that never comes.

But for some all that doesn't matter. They want Benitez out and Jose Mourinho in. It doesn't matter if we haven't got money, he's got to go and Jose? Well, he'll happily kiss goodbye to Inter Milan, ignore a possible offer from Real Madrid and walk into a club on its knees who will pay him less than he can get elsewhere. It would be career suicide. It makes no sense at all. But still people say it.

That kind of debate suits the Americans just fine. It's another distraction and another step away from what would really get them thinking – mass, organised protest. Boycotts. Pressure. More of the same from Spirit of Shankly only with more bodies behind them, more money in the coffers, more helping hands to get the wheels turning.

But for many of the tactics that would truly make them sit up and notice to work it needs the whole of the Liverpool support on board – and as it stands that support is so factious, that doesn't look like happening anytime soon.

Hicks and Gillett can turn to their PR firms (or those "senior sources") to keep the pot bubbling with distractions about players, managers and rubbing hands. It's divide and conquer - the oldest trick in the book. And it's working a treat.

But who needs PR firms when you've got rumours (a speciality of the City of Liverpool), forum 'insiders' and journalists happy to be spoon-fed information and reproduce it as 'fact' without questioning its validity?

It all keeps fans from coming together and fighting the cancer that is eating away at our loved one. And that's exactly what the profit-obsessed charlatans want.

Glory Days - repped.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If we sell suarez this late in the Window then I ll believe you that these owners are as bad as ad h & g. If we keep him and get a few more in then its nowhere near as bad

Surely a few transfers in one window isn't the difference between being H&G or not? They very nearly drove us into the ground. Whilst not getting in a player or two will be very disappointing, and questioning their level of comittment will be right and proper, but it's not the same thing at all.

Surely a few transfers in one window isn't the difference between being H&G or not? They very nearly drove us into the ground. Whilst not getting in a player or two will be very disappointing, and questioning their level of comittment will be right and proper, but it's not the same thing at all.

I think theres a lot of suspicion around what they re doing like reducing the wage bill. Is this preparation for selling the club or are they actually doing what they said they would do? Buy younger players, get value for money.

Lets face it they inherited a mess and they added to that mess so now they re trying to clear it up.

If they are doing what they claim to be doing we may thank them in the long run. Then agsin they could be making mugs out of us.

Time will tell.

I think this fair play thingy that is supposed to be kicking in soon has an influence on their situation too - they're bound to be keeping an eye on that, whilst the likes of the rich fuckers at the very top of the Prem will blatantly try to ignore or subvert the new ruling. Also the likes of Abramobitch & the sheiks literally have money to burn. Three or four £30 million plus signings per transfer window is fun to them, a chance to show their financial muscle and massage those massive egos.

How do you cope with the rich kid at school when he gets a new car for his seventeenth birthday and you inherit your brother's rusty pushbike ?

I can understand people's impatience, but they've got to live in the real world. The one time FSG did try to grandstand it, we ended up with Andy Carroll and Stewart fucking Downing. That £50 million for Torres could have pushed us well along the path to the top 4, and eventually the top, but spunking it had the reverse effect. And being financially motivated, nobody will be more aware of that than FSG.

But to compare them to Cancer & Aids is just drama queen territory.

Get a fucking grip people.

I'm sick of fans complaining about lack of spending for the sake of spending. Value is the whole essence of doing well in the transfer market. It's not about paying over the odds for a single player to show what some call ambition.

Ambition is trying better at spending less on quality through proper scouting, like we did in January and to a certain degree this summer. We are not and hopefully we'll never be going to spend £90 million on a player who's had a few good seasons but still hasn't felt the pressure of being at a real top club.

I think this fair play thingy that is supposed to be kicking in soon has an influence on their situation too - they're bound to be keeping an eye on that, whilst the likes of the rich fuckers at the very top of the Prem will blatantly try to ignore or subvert the new ruling. Also the likes of Abramobitch & the sheiks literally have money to burn. Three or four £30 million plus signings per transfer window is fun to them, a chance to show their financial muscle and massage those massive egos.

How do you cope with the rich kid at school when he gets a new car for his seventeenth birthday and you inherit your brother's rusty pushbike ?

I can understand people's impatience, but they've got to live in the real world. The one time FSG did try to grandstand it, we ended up with Andy Carroll and Stewart fucking Downing. That £50 million for Torres could have pushed us well along the path to the top 4, and eventually the top, but spunking it had the reverse effect. And being financially motivated, nobody will be more aware of that than FSG.

But to compare them to Cancer & Aids is just drama queen territory.

Get a fucking grip people.

Changing history there? We bought Carrol and Suarez with the Torres money not Downing so that alone is a good return, if we sell Suarez for 50 million and Carrol went for 15 we have just about made a profit so lets not cry that one in.

Downing was bought in the summer after that.

I'm sick of fans complaining about lack of spending for the sake of spending. Value is the whole essence of doing well in the transfer market. It's not about paying over the odds for a single player to show what some call ambition.

Ambition is trying better at spending less on quality through proper scouting, like we did in January and to a certain degree this summer. We are not and hopefully we'll never be going to spend £90 million on a player who's had a few good seasons but still hasn't felt the pressure of being at a real top club.

Who the fuck is saying spend money for the fucking sake of it???

We are in profit despite massive boosts in revenue, we want smart investment not to be made to look like clowns to the world getting turned down by player after player or messed about by supposed rogue agents.

If this is going to be the squad for the season we haven't got even a slight chance of top 4, none.

Who the fuck is saying spend money for the fucking sake of it???

We are in profit despite massive boosts in revenue, we want smart investment not to be made to look like clowns to the world getting turned down by player after player or messed about by supposed rogue agents.

If this is going to be the squad for the season we haven't got even a slight chance of top 4, none.

Now that you’ve told us what we shouldn’t do can you please tell us what we should do?

It seems to me we’ve tried got get the players we want. Mkitharian turned us down. Now, Willian has chosen another club.

Willian? A 25 year old Brazilian playing in the Russian league. Not playing for a pretty ordinary Brazil national team, at least not in the Confederation cup. Until Chelsea came along not one CL club had any interest in him. Yet we were prepared to pay a staggering 30M for the player (it’s very possible we’ll all say “thank God we missed out” a year from now). Not even 30M was good enough. Should we up our bid to 35-40M for this unproven player? Should we risk braking our wage structure in our efforts ? Like we did with Downing a couple of years back?

What do you think we should do?

Now that our prime targets have gone, do you want us to fork out 35-40M for a 3rd choice player?

Who decides value especially in today's market. Value is whoever improves the team. You can pay 10 million for a player because you aren't prepared to pay 20 for the other yet the 20 million pound player could offer much more to the team, are FSG too guilty of looking for the value in pounds over the value to the football team. We will unearth gems for good fees but every deal can't be that ,the money we've saved buying those gems should go towards players we know already to instant improvements to the side. I'm tired of fans being labelled greedy or selfish because they want the club to be ambitious and as much as many don't like it that does include spending.

Changing history there? We bought Carrol and Suarez with the Torres money not Downing so that alone is a good return, if we sell Suarez for 50 million and Carrol went for 15 we have just about made a profit so lets not cry that one in.

Downing was bought in the summer after that.

Whether Downing was brought in a few months later was irrelevant. Whether we turn it into a profit long term is irrelevant. The point I'm making is that FSG got their fingers burned, and they're not fucking stupid enough to just leap in and do it again. You going to tell me that Downing & Carroll were value for money at an estimated £55 million ? Even the most deluded fuckwit on here (or anywhere else) would laugh at that. And considering we could have bought better ALONG WITH SUAREZ, the club would be a hell of a lot better off. Brendan might have got higher than he did in his first season if he hadn't been clearing the decks of players who were simply not LFC standard, for one reason or another.

Whether Downing was brought in a few months later was irrelevant. Whether we turn it into a profit long term is irrelevant. The point I'm making is that FSG got their fingers burned, and they're not fucking stupid enough to just leap in and do it again. You going to tell me that Downing & Carroll were value for money at an estimated £55 million ? Even the most deluded fuckwit on here (or anywhere else) would laugh at that. And considering we could have bought better ALONG WITH SUAREZ, the club would be a hell of a lot better off. Brendan might have got higher than he did in his first season if he hadn't been clearing the decks of players who were simply not LFC standard, for one reason or another.

Hang on you brought up the Torres money in relation to Downing and Carroll, failing to mention Suarez was bought with the Torres money and not Downing, so yea he is irrelevant to the point.

They got £50 million and bought a dud for £35 million and a player now being quoted as another £50 million player for £22 million, of course they could have done more but let's not forget they have recouped £15 million of the £35 and look set to more then double the £22 they paid for Suarez next summer, lets not pretend they have threw £50 million down the drain, instead they just totally overpaid for a dud, who's fucking fault is that?

Who is asking them to go out and spend £35 million on another bag of shite? The squad is paper thin and badly needs some quality adding to it, that doesn't mean it has to cost a fortune to add quality like we seen in January but it does mean your negotiating and scouting has to be better then everyone around you which is where they are massively falling down.

Oh and so what they got their fingers burnt, does that mean we all just accept then letting the squad go to shite because THEY fucked up nearly 2 years ago?