You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good article by Maddock

TopMod

The yanks are our biggest problem by far. I'm not absolving Rafa of any blame, but I don't think any Manager would be able to build a squad capable of a league challenge under the current owners.

We'll not have that sort of logic around here!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But the article hasn't got anything to do with what the yanks have spent or not, it is about the financial problems of the club, and how the writer thinks the best solution to get rid of them is probably the most unpalatable to us, and that is to stop the boycott and/or protests against them.

Unfortunately, I think there is some truth in what he says.

Also, unfortunately, you are more repetitive than Catch 22. At least Catch has humour and often raises valid points

I despair of the education system I really do, in your response you acknowledge the article is about finances - then go on to try and remove "transfer funds" from the discussion about "Finances"??

If it wasn't so tragic it would be funny.

I despair of the education system I really do, in your response you acknowledge the article is about finances - then go on to try and remove "transfer funds" from the discussion about "Finances"??

If it wasn't so tragic it would be funny.

What has transfer funds got to do with the best way to get rid of the yanks?

The article is not about whether Rafa has had the funds to spend on players. I am firmly in the camp that he has not, however I am able to seperate different subjects, even if they are in the same broad area, something which you are obviously unable to do as you are turning every thread into the same subject.

And my education was just fine thanks.

What has transfer funds got to do with the best way to get rid of the yanks?

The article is not about whether Rafa has had the funds to spend on players. I am firmly in the camp that he has not, however I am able to seperate different subjects, even if they are in the same broad area, something which you are obviously unable to do as you are turning every thread into the same subject.

And my education was just fine thanks.

You've changed tack here - my reply was to you saying you can't understand what the Transfer funds have to do with the financial situation.

Read my posts it should clear that up for you.

Fair enough I'll respect that although I would have liked an answer to where you think the team I outlined would finish.

The team you outlined would not be played every week though would . But as usual you are being selective to amke your often repeated point and in the course made this into another Rafa or the leeches thread.

The team you outlined would not be played every week though would . But as usual you are being selective to amke your often repeated point and in the course made this into another Rafa or the leeches thread.

It started off as a thread about the Leeches, so having got this far with it you're now having a go at me for turning it into a thread about......The leeches????

Fuck sake!

Guest PurpleNose
There is only one way to know and in my imagination mate its like a Grenadier Guards helmet.

She can Grenadier guard my helmet anyday. Or something.

You've changed tack here - my reply was to you saying you can't understand what the Transfer funds have to do with the financial situation.

Read my posts it should clear that up for you.

As you have repeatedly mentioned to other posters about them not answering questions, perhaps you can answer the one I asked you?

At no point did I say that I don't understand what transfer funds have got to do with finances, 1, because I do, and 2, because transfer funds have nothing to do with the article. Neither does whether the squad is good enough for 4th, 7th, or 20th, but for some reason you seem to be discussing that a lot on this thread too.

Here are some other questions for you, what do you think is the best way to get rid of the yanks? Do you think boycotts will affect the way a potential buyer will see us? Do you think we should accept that C&A will have to make a big profit if we want them gone as soon as possible?

Now see if you can answer them without mentioning Rafa or transfer funds

Here are some other questions for you, what do you think is the best way to get rid of the yanks? Do you think boycotts will affect the way a potential buyer will see us? Do you think we should accept that C&A will have to make a big profit if we want them gone as soon as possible?

I know the questions were asked of kennys_spell, but maybe Rafa demanding the right to spend any cash raised from player sales, due to the terms of his contract (if any such terms exist), could well have a bearing on the outcome of the Hicks/Gillett situation?

That would only have an effect on the Rafa situation and whether he thinks he can work under the new (if they are new) conditions or not, and if he feels he cannot he could possibly have a chance at constructive dismisall I think.

It would unlikely have an effect on C&A leaving though, if anything, it could mean they are here longer if they Rafa leaves and they have to pay him off. They are likely to have a target return on equity that they are looking for, that includes both the profit from sale and profits (or loss) they earn whilst the still own us. Any payoff means that it will take longer for them to hit their target, as well as making us less attractive to potential investors, as in all likelyhood it would mean a furhter increase to the clubs debt to pay him off.

As you have repeatedly mentioned to other posters about them not answering questions, perhaps you can answer the one I asked you?

At no point did I say that I don't understand what transfer funds have got to do with finances, 1, because I do, and 2, because transfer funds have nothing to do with the article. Neither does whether the squad is good enough for 4th, 7th, or 20th, but for some reason you seem to be discussing that a lot on this thread too.

It's impossible to mention the financial situation at the club without mentioning the transfer policy as the transfer policy is directly related to the financial situation at the club. There's absolutely NO WAY they can be seperated. The first line of your reply to me attempted to do exactly that:

You said:

"But the article hasn't got anything to do with what the yanks have spent or not, it is about the financial problems of the club"

The article mentions this and indeed gives figures £78 Mill in interest payments TO DEAL WITH THE FINANCIAL SITUATION AT THE CLUB over two years. Which, as I said means that effectively there is £65 MILL that has been taken away from the transfer budget that could have allowed us to take the next step and win the prem.

That was all in my posts you replied to and tried to seperate the clubs financial situation from transfers. I'm not making it about Rafa - my point is and has been throughout the thread that the Leeches have denied the Manager Approx £65 Mill in transfer funds that could have taken us the next step.

There's a lot more repetition for you however, it seems to be needed as the basics of the whole situation is passing some people by and hammering it again and again looks like the only way to get the message across.

Boycotts are the ONLY way to get the Leeches attention - they don't care about popularity, they don't care about trophies (other than trophies bring prize money, they don't care about marches, they don't care about demonstrations. MONEY is what they care about and if that income is threatened they WILL take notice. It may effect the way a potential purchaser views us but to be honest I would accept that. If a potential purchaser pulls out of the negotiations because of the passion of the fans - they're the wrong sort to be custodians of OUR club.

I also agreed with the original articles premise that the quickest, safest way to get them out was to give them the profit they crave. I don't see any way around that.

It's impossible to mention the financial situation at the club without mentioning the transfer policy as the transfer policy is directly related to the financial situation at the club. There's absolutely NO WAY they can be seperated. The first line of your reply to me attempted to do exactly that:

You said:

"But the article hasn't got anything to do with what the yanks have spent or not, it is about the financial problems of the club"

The article mentions this and indeed gives figures £78 Mill in interest payments TO DEAL WITH THE FINANCIAL SITUATION AT THE CLUB over two years. Which, as I said means that effectively there is £65 MILL that has been taken away from the transfer budget that could have allowed us to take the next step and win the prem.

That was all in my posts you replied to and tried to seperate the clubs financial situation from transfers. I'm not making it about Rafa - my point is and has been throughout the thread that the Leeches have denied the Manager Approx £65 Mill in transfer funds that could have taken us the next step.

All this is for another thread, and that is what my point is.

And you still haven't answered my first question.

I don't know why I'm gonna bother with this, but here goes. You are right that the transfer budget is related to the financial situation of the club, of course it is. But the transfer budget in itself does not affect our financial situation, and that is why it can be discussed as a seperate issue. For instance Utd have a significantly larger debt and interest payments than us, however they are able to still spend huge amounts because they have a big stadium which enables them to service their debt.

Our transfer policy has not caused the mess we are in, it is a consequence.

Can you see the difference and how it is more than possible to discuss cause and effects as seperate issues?

Boycotts are the ONLY way to get the Leeches attention - they don't care about popularity, they don't care about trophies (other than trophies bring prize money, they don't care about marches, they don't care about demonstrations. MONEY is what they care about and if that income is threatened they WILL take notice. It may effect the way a potential purchaser views us but to be honest I would accept that. If a potential purchaser pulls out of the negotiations because of the passion of the fans - they're the wrong sort to be custodians of OUR club.

I also agreed with the original articles premise that the quickest, safest way to get them out was to give them the profit they crave. I don't see any way around that.

Well done, now that you are on topic, I can say that I agree with much of what you say.

I think people need to realise that boycotts will very probably mean that they are here longer. However I think it is worth the risk of them actually being here longer if it is becasue what we have done is what is right and we have made our voice heard.

All this is for another thread, and that is what my point is.

And you still haven't answered my first question.

I don't know why I'm gonna bother with this, but here goes. You are right that the transfer budget is related to the financial situation of the club, of course it is. But the transfer budget in itself does not affect our financial situation, and that is why it can be discussed as a seperate issue. For instance Utd have a significantly larger debt and interest payments than us, however they are able to still spend huge amounts because they have a big stadium which enables them to service their debt.

Right there is one of the reasons I get frustrated with some of our fans - it's absolutely ridiculous to make that statement. BOTH are intrinsically linked - One is part of the other. It's like saying People can run marathons, therefore people who require heart transplants should still be able to run a Marathon. That people can run marathons does not effect the heart and therefore there is no link. One is has an absolute direct bearing on the ability to do the other.

The Article was very very clear in mentioning that the Leeches have had to pay £78 Mill in interest - an overall loss of £92 Mill over two years. I then dug a little deeper into those figures and pointed out that a £92 Mill loss over two years - of which £78 Mill was interest payments - would have equated to £65 Mill available for the transfer budget which would have allowed us to possibly take the next step. I'm not going to apologise because you either missed or were unwilling to accept that.

Our transfer policy has not caused the mess we are in, it is a consequence.

Can you see the difference and how it is more than possible to discuss cause and effects as seperate issues?

And there, right there is where you have completely missed my point - I wasn't suggsting that our transfer policy had caused our financial situation - where have you grasped that one from? - I've said, very very very clearly throughout that the financial situation AND THE FACT THAT WE'RE PAYING £78 MILL IN INTEREST PAYMENTS has dictated our transfer policy. i.e. There ISN'T one!

Well done, now that you are on topic, I can say that I agree with much of what you say.

I think people need to realise that boycotts will very probably mean that they are here longer. However I think it is worth the risk of them actually being here longer if it is becasue what we have done is what is right and we have made our voice heard.

Given that you do come across as reasonable I honestly believe that had you read my initial posts you would have agreed with what I said then. You've confirmed as much in these posts. There's absolutely no need to be calling people names and trying to appear smart when replying. Just apply logic and debate the points you wish to make. That'll make it much more interesting.

There's absolutely no need to be calling people names and trying to appear smart when replying. Just apply logic and debate the points you wish to make. That'll make it much more interesting.

Earlier in this very thread, you called someone an idiot. Now that may be a statement of opinion, but it also name calling. I said you was repetitive, that is merely a statement of opinion and not calling you any type of name, although some would regard it as fact. I suppose did say that you are humourless, apologies if that upset you.

And why do you despair at the education system in response to one of my posts. What can you conlude from my post about my education? Do you think that inferring that I had a bad education, and therefore am unable to comprehend things could be interpretted as name calling?

Can you accept that you have been somewhat hypocritical there?

Right there is one of the reasons I get frustrated with some of our fans - it's absolutely ridiculous to make that statement. BOTH are intrinsically linked - One is part of the other. It's like saying People can run marathons, therefore people who require heart transplants should still be able to run a Marathon. That people can run marathons does not effect the heart and therefore there is no link. One is has an absolute direct bearing on the ability to do the other.

Do you understand causality and effect? The lack of transfer funds is an effect of the financial situation at the club, which itself is due to the club being bought using debt and having very little capital injected by the owners.

Just because 2 things are intrinsically linked, it does not mean they can't be discussed in isolation. If I asked you about what causes the tides of the sea, would you be able to tell me about the gravitational pull of the moon without telling me that we can play around in the waves and go surfing?

The Article was very very clear in mentioning that the Leeches have had to pay £78 Mill in interest - an overall loss of £92 Mill over two years. I then dug a little deeper into those figures and pointed out that a £92 Mill loss over two years - of which £78 Mill was interest payments - would have equated to £65 Mill available for the transfer budget which would have allowed us to possibly take the next step. I'm not going to apologise because you either missed or were unwilling to accept that.

There are lots of other threads discussing whether Benitez has had enough transfer funds. Would it not be better disussing it in one of those, and by all means use the facts you have found out from this one, so that this thread could be left for something that, in my opinion, has not seen much discussion?

Can you see how that by bringing transfer funds into the subject, and whether the squad is good enough for 4th or not for that matter, may be annoying?

And there, right there is where you have completely missed my point - I wasn't suggsting that our transfer policy had caused our financial situation - where have you grasped that one from? - I've said, very very very clearly throughout that the financial situation AND THE FACT THAT WE'RE PAYING £78 MILL IN INTEREST PAYMENTS has dictated our transfer policy. i.e. There ISN'T one!

No, you missed my point. I did not say that you did suggest that, I am saying the our financial situation, and what I think was the more important aspect of the the article, how we can most effectively see off the yanks, can be discussed in isolation from the transfer funds and the quality of our squad.

Given that you do come across as reasonable I honestly believe that had you read my initial posts you would have agreed with what I said then. You've confirmed as much in these posts.

Perhaps that is because I am reasonable. However, I have also seen a number of other posters who I consider to be reasonable, from both sides of the Rafa arguement, take issue with you recently. Have you noticed any of their comments to you? Would that not suggest that it is possible that you are being unreasonable?

I am not taking issue with what you say, I would say I am on your side of the arguement with regards to Benitez, but that is neither here nor there, what I do take issue with is that you say the same thing, with the same hysterity, all the time, and everywhere.

I know there are a lot of questions there, but seeing that you take umbrage when people don't answer your questions, I do hope you will answer all of mine.

Apologies to everyone else for carrying on this pointless arguement.