You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good article by Maddock

TopMod

Earlier in this very thread, you called someone an idiot. Now that may be a statement of opinion, but it also name calling. I said you was repetitive, that is merely a statement of opinion and not calling you any type of name, although some would regard it as fact. I suppose did say that you are humourless, apologies if that upset you.

And why do you despair at the education system in response to one of my posts. What can you conlude from my post about my education? Do you think that inferring that I had a bad education, and therefore am unable to comprehend things could be interpretted as name calling?

Can you accept that you have been somewhat hypocritical there?

Accepted - I suppose I was being a little defensive there. No excuses - I apologise. I do however still think that someone who attempts to divorce the transfer budget from the financial situation at the club is being idiotic. Perhaps I shouldn't have called them an Idiot, perhaps I should have just let them carry on being an idiot.

Do you understand causality and effect? The lack of transfer funds is an effect of the financial situation at the club, which itself is due to the club being bought using debt and having very little capital injected by the owners.

Just because 2 things are intrinsically linked, it does not mean they can't be discussed in isolation. If I asked you about what causes the tides of the sea, would you be able to tell me about the gravitational pull of the moon without telling me that we can play around in the waves and go surfing?

I rather think you've strengthened my point for me there - imagine if suddenly there was no moon, would people still go to play in the waves? (notwithstanding winds and weather systems) In this post you've simply re-inforced my point that had we not had to pay the £78 Mill in interest payments, we would in all likelyhood of had that best part of £65 Mill available for transfer funds. The Fact that we didn't have £65 Mill available was intrinsically linked to the financial situation in our club. I make no apologies for highlighting this point when we still have Idiots (opinion) who suggest that the first and in some cases the ONLY thing we need to do is to get rid of the Manager.

There are lots of other threads discussing whether Benitez has had enough transfer funds. Would it not be better disussing it in one of those, and by all means use the facts you have found out from this one, so that this thread could be left for something that, in my opinion, has not seen much discussion?

Can you see how that by bringing transfer funds into the subject, and whether the squad is good enough for 4th or not for that matter, may be annoying?

This is NOT about transfer funds, no matter how many people try to claim it. It's about the Leeches, it's about their financial management of the funds of LFC and the effect that has on the transfer funds. I didn't mention Benitez, others did that. My thrust throughout has been to highlight the shite the Leeches have us in - I think the fact that they've denied us approx £65 Mill in transfer funds does exactly that. Again no apologies.

No, you missed my point. I did not say that you did suggest that, I am saying the our financial situation, and what I think was the more important aspect of the the article, how we can most effectively see off the yanks, can be discussed in isolation from the transfer funds and the quality of our squad.

I wouldn't - and haven't argued that point. I don't think that my introduction of the fact that they have denied us of approx £65 Mill of transfer funds is anathema to that point of view either - indeed I am 100% sure that it strengthens that view. There are far too many people that read a post, apply their own interpretationa and then proceed with that interpretation as fact into a debate. I can't be held responsible for their mistakes can I?

Perhaps that is because I am reasonable. However, I have also seen a number of other posters who I consider to be reasonable, from both sides of the Rafa arguement, take issue with you recently. Have you noticed any of their comments to you? Would that not suggest that it is possible that you are being unreasonable?

I've said it on many occasions, I'll debate all day with people on here and put my point of view, I'll even change my point of view if the other side of the debate can convince me that my view is wrong. Shouting louder and louder, calling names, being snide will NEVER change my mind. I'm not one to be easily swayed - I'm sure thats very evident but you know what, it's not entirely impossible that I'm right some times either.

I am not taking issue with what you say, I would say I am on your side of the arguement with regards to Benitez

I don't understand how you can make that statement without saying that you have read my post and interpreted them the way you want to. I've NEVER come out on here and told anyone what my view of Benitez is. I simply enter arguments about Benitez and put all factors of the equation into the melting pot. Lots of people - you as well apparently - interpret that the way they want.

what I do take issue with is that you say the same thing, with the same hysterity, all the time, and everywhere.

It's words, if I present facts time and again in a debate it's because it's perfectly obvious within that debate that those taking part have either ignored or are having problems assimilating these facts.

I know there are a lot of questions there, but seeing that you take umbrage when people don't answer your questions, I do hope you will answer all of mine.

Do let me know if I've missed anything out - I tend to ask this off people that accuse me of missing out answers to questions and they inevitably don't reply. Strange that eh? If they do reply they get an answer - always.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool by David Maddock

1) Was the season a success or failure?

Failure. Out of the title race by September and out of Champions’ League by November, this was the worst season in a decade at Anfield, lifted only by a brief splash in the backwaters of the Europa League. 4/10

2) How did the manager do?

Managers have been sacked for seasons like this at Anfield (Roy Evans and Gerard Houllier spring to mind). Benitez was too negative, especially away from home where Liverpool scored only 18 goals all season, and too rigid tactically. 3/10

3) Player of the season: Pepe Reina

Not only did he prove himself the best keeper in the Premier League, Reina also showed incredible commitment to Liverpool by signing a new long term contract when he could easily have used uncertainty to find a way out.

4) Villain of the season: Alberto Aquilani

See below...

5) Best signing: Sotirios Kyrgiakos

Pretty hard to even answer this one, but probably Greek defender Kyrgiakos for performing rather better than his origins suggested. 5/10.

6) Worst signing: Alberto Aquilani

Injury prone and totally unsuited to the Premier League, he has to rank as one of Liverpool’s worst-ever signings. 3/10

7) Best game

Liverpool 2-0 Manchester United. By far the best performance of the season and the only time Liverpool really showed what their real level was.

Liverpool 2-0 Manchester United match report and pictures

8) Worst game

Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea. The most dispiriting Liverpool performance I’ve ever seen. Better United win the title than the memory of this disgrace. Steps have to be taken to ensure it can never happen again.

Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea match reports and pictures

9) Funniest moment of the season

Pass. No humour at Anfield this year, just misery.

10) Key lessons to be learned

Political appetite is no substitute for footballing appetite. If everyone concentrated their energies on making Liverpool a better team, Anfield would be a better place.

Liverpool by David Maddock

1) Was the season a success or failure?

Failure. Out of the title race by September and out of Champions’ League by November, this was the worst season in a decade at Anfield, lifted only by a brief splash in the backwaters of the Europa League. 4/10

2) How did the manager do?

Managers have been sacked for seasons like this at Anfield (Roy Evans and Gerard Houllier spring to mind). Benitez was too negative, especially away from home where Liverpool scored only 18 goals all season, and too rigid tactically. 3/10

3) Player of the season: Pepe Reina

Not only did he prove himself the best keeper in the Premier League, Reina also showed incredible commitment to Liverpool by signing a new long term contract when he could easily have used uncertainty to find a way out.

4) Villain of the season: Alberto Aquilani

See below...

5) Best signing: Sotirios Kyrgiakos

Pretty hard to even answer this one, but probably Greek defender Kyrgiakos for performing rather better than his origins suggested. 5/10.

6) Worst signing: Alberto Aquilani

Injury prone and totally unsuited to the Premier League, he has to rank as one of Liverpool’s worst-ever signings. 3/10

7) Best game

Liverpool 2-0 Manchester United. By far the best performance of the season and the only time Liverpool really showed what their real level was.

Liverpool 2-0 Manchester United match report and pictures

8) Worst game

Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea. The most dispiriting Liverpool performance I’ve ever seen. Better United win the title than the memory of this disgrace. Steps have to be taken to ensure it can never happen again. Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea match reports and pictures

9) Funniest moment of the season

Pass. No humour at Anfield this year, just misery.

10) Key lessons to be learned

Political appetite is no substitute for footballing appetite. If everyone concentrated their energies on making Liverpool a better team, Anfield would be a better place.

What are the steps?

Does Christian apply 10) to himself?

Do let me know if I've missed anything out - I tend to ask this off people that accuse me of missing out answers to questions and they inevitably don't reply. Strange that eh? If they do reply they get an answer - always.

You got into the discussion about Benitez straight away, you could easily have left it, but instead that is what the thread ended up being about because you kept going on about it, and you brought up that the squad is only good enough for 7th by the way, which started that part of the discussion.

So sometimes, if you think someone is being an idiot, perhaps it is bet to let them continue being an idiot, particularly if it is a flippant one liner. If we start arguing about flippant one liners, which happens a lot here, then that will reduce the constructive and interesting discussions.

You may think that I have strengthened some of your points, but then I think that you are one of the "far too many people that read a post, apply their own interpretation and then proceed with that interpretation as fact into a debate." So I guess we are just going around in circles there.

I don't understand how you can make that statement without saying that you have read my post and interpreted them the way you want to. I've NEVER come out on here and told anyone what my view of Benitez is. I simply enter arguments about Benitez and put all factors of the equation into the melting pot. Lots of people - you as well apparently - interpret that the way they want.

So what is your view on Benitez, have I interpreted you incorrectly? Do you think he should stay? Much of your debating seems to be about the fact that he has not had the funds to make the squad stronger, and if he had that he would be able to compete, am I wrong about that?

Or do you "simply enter arguements about Benitez" because you like to argue/debate? Do you ever play devils advocate in these debates?

You got into the discussion about Benitez straight away, you could easily have left it, but instead that is what the thread ended up being about because you kept going on about it, and you brought up that the squad is only good enough for 7th by the way, which started that part of the discussion.

I'll take that as acknowledgement by you that you've looked back and now realise it wasn't me that brought Benitez into the discussion - if only you had shown the priciples you appeared to be demanding of me we could close this now. As for the squad being only strong enough for 7th place - that was directly related to my claim that £65 Mill of extra transfer fees that were denied us by the Leeches would have changed the squad and more probably the position of the squad. THAT is directly connected to and strengthens my point about the £65 Mill transfer funds denied to the manager. Which actually has been my view throughout the thread - and has been posted a few times throughout the thread. You could check and then ignore that fact as well if you wanted. You appear to be presenting an argument that you think it's wrong to apply a supporting argument to a main point - are you???

As you've clearly looked back to see who introduced what points into the debate - how many posts were there about 7th place from me?

So sometimes, if you think someone is being an idiot, perhaps it is bet to let them continue being an idiot, particularly if it is a flippant one liner. If we start arguing about flippant one liners, which happens a lot here, then that will reduce the constructive and interesting discussions.

Apparently flippant one liners is much more preferable to debate about things the Leeches have done to our club - at least that's the impression I'm getting. I make no apologies for hating the air the Leeches breath, I make no apologies for repeating time and time and time again how much damage they are doing to our club - and will continue to do so for as long as we have posters making statements like :

Who has ever denied that they're the major problem?

It still doesn't excuse the poor management of on the pitch matters.

You may think that I have strengthened some of your points, but then I think that you are one of the "far too many people that read a post, apply their own interpretation and then proceed with that interpretation as fact into a debate." So I guess we are just going around in circles there.

If you could provide an example of me doing that, highlighting what you're claiming here you'd have the perfect opportunity of changing my point of view - or you could simply make a claim that probably won't be checked back on and hope to get away with it. Which option will you take?

So what is your view on Benitez, have I interpreted you incorrectly? Do you think he should stay? Much of your debating seems to be about the fact that he has not had the funds to make the squad stronger, and if he had that he would be able to compete, am I wrong about that?

Or do you "simply enter arguements about Benitez" because you like to argue/debate? Do you ever play devils advocate in these debates?

My view on Benitez is that he should be judged using all the factors surrounding his role. I've said many many times on here that the Leeches MUST go first, new owners should come in and fund the squad building that is so desperately needed - then at the end of that season judge Benitez.

Read back, ask people - that has always been my view.

If after reading that ANYONE is in any doubt at all that the major problem at our club is the Leeches then they are not only fooling themselves but helping the Yanks to get away with it.

Oh do change the fucking record!

Show me a post from anyone who doesnt think the owners are the major problem. Go on, just one post!

We know they are the problem running the club. We know they dont pick the team and piss off the senior players with shite decisions and tactics.

Dont we?