You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good article by Maddock

TopMod

Rafa thread 89378291 warming up nicely.

Thanks Kennys_spell.

There's an interesting story in this article, though. It advocates paying a nice profit to the owners as that's the way the world is. Then we have Broughton saying:

"I'm not sure what has been said and by whom - there's been all sorts of things in the media but there is no price. There's no fixed price, there's no agreed price - it's a willing buyer / willing seller trade. We have willing sellers and I think there are willing buyers out there - that will determine the price."

Sure, you can spin that to mean that the owners should get a nice profit, as well, but somehow I doubt Broughton meant it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IDIOT!!!!!!! THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT. THE LEECHES ARE THE WHOLE POINT.

How the fuck have we still got fans that think like you is almost as depressing.

Clam down. My point was that Benitez isn't getting the most out of his available resources and he isn't.

Your retort was that I expect him to win the league, which isn't what I said. Finishing 7th with the resources he has available is far from good enough. Add in our cup performances and he's a long way from getting the best out of what he has.

The ownership situation and the management situation are two entirely different issues.

Thanks for the PM too x

Can't fucking believe this has become a Rafa thread. We have a decent article by Maddock, with his important co-writer Christian Purslow, and people again make it about Rafa. And I include both sides in the argument. Stuff like this is the most important thing and when it just keeps turning into a slanging match it looks pathetic. People really need to smarten up.

There's an interesting story in this article, though. It advocates paying a nice profit to the owners as that's the way the world is. Then we have Broughton saying:

"I'm not sure what has been said and by whom - there's been all sorts of things in the media but there is no price. There's no fixed price, there's no agreed price - it's a willing buyer / willing seller trade. We have willing sellers and I think there are willing buyers out there - that will determine the price."

Sure, you can spin that to mean that the owners should get a nice profit, as well, but somehow I doubt Broughton meant it.

I think that would be one end of the spectrum and Moddocks supposition would be the other end.

Broughton does appear to be suggesting that he can sell at whatever price he feels is the market price for LFC without recourse to the current owners. Maddock appears to be ignoring that angle and painting a doomsday scenario (or two to be precise) where the Leeches win.

I guess all we can do is wait it out and get into arguments on the internet messageboards until it's completed.

Guest PurpleNose
Can't fucking believe this has become a Rafa thread. We have a decent article by Maddock, with his important co-writer Christian Purslow, and people again make it about Rafa. And I include both sides in the argument. Stuff like this is the most important thing and when it just keeps turning into a slanging match it looks pathetic. People really need to smarten up.

Notbeingamongapologist.

I know mate, that's the sort of thing I was hoping to discuss.

Clam down. My point was that Benitez isn't getting the most out of his available resources and he isn't.

Your retort was that I expect him to win the league, which isn't what I said. Finishing 7th with the resources he has available is far from good enough. Add in our cup performances and he's a long way from getting the best out of what he has.

The ownership situation and the management situation are two entirely different issues.

Thanks for the PM too x

Fair enough - I should have said "you people" - it wasn't aimed directly at you. I would contend that 7th IS getting the best out of these players and these players, N'Gog, El Zhar, Spearing, Derby etc ARE the resources he has available to him. That he only has these players available to him is Intrinsically linked to the Ownership issues because - and here's my point again - if we had not had to spend £78 Mill in interest over Two years there would have been approx £65 Mill plus funds raised by players sales in place for us to have built up a decent squad of players.

You must see that - the Ownership and their spend policy has a DIRECT bearing of which players can be bought as back up for the first team.

The PM was in response to your action - there was no need for that just because I have a different opinion to you.

I'm not making it about Rafa - my point is and has been throughout the thread that the Leeches have denied the Manager Approx £65 Mill in transfer funds that could have taken us the next step.

Kenny, I'm not shouting to get my point across.

And yes, I'm applying logic to my debate. Which you disagree with.

You think 7th is the best this team can achieve. And I think you are massively wrong. In my opinion.

I think we should leave it at that.

PS: If anyone had asked you at the beginning of August on where we will finish, I don't think you would have said 7th. You might have said 4th (which is what I said by the way) but NO ONE would have thought we will finish 7th after the 2nd place finish last season.

You must see that - the Ownership and their spend policy has a DIRECT bearing of which players can be bought as back up for the first team.

The PM was in response to your action - there was no need for that just because I have a different opinion to you.

Of course it does, but I don't agree that our squad is the 7th best in the league. It's at least 6th... It's another argument though.

And you were negged for being repetitive, not for being wrong (Joke).

You think 7th is the best this team can achieve. And I think you are massively wrong. In my opinion.

Fair enough I'll respect that although I would have liked an answer to where you think the team I outlined would finish.

Broughton does appear to be suggesting that he can sell at whatever price he feels is the market price for LFC without recourse to the current owners.

Of course he is. It's his job to at least give the impression he's finding a buyer. When someone else is briefing Maddock that the owners aren't going without a profit though, it doesn't fill one with hope that the sale process will be swiftly concluded.

Meanwhile we're all supposed to sit with fixed smiles and applaud politely whilst the club is run into the ground.

PS: If anyone had asked you at the beginning of August on where we will finish, I don't think you would have said 7th. You might have said 4th (which is what I said by the way) but NO ONE would have thought we will finish 7th after the 2nd place finish last season.

Strangley enough at the start of the season - after the bombshell about the Alonso money and the 'targetted' players had slipped through our fingers I said on the way back from Spurs that we'd struggle to get in the top four because of the Leeches. I got an earful of grief in the car on the way back for it. The reason I remember it was because Mark Bright was on Match of the day on Sunday morning and said exactly the same thing, that Liverpool would NOT finish in the top four. I sneered at him and thought 'we'll show you'. We didn't - we got 7th because that's what our squad resources (not our first team) are capable of. All, in my opinion due to the Leeches spending policy.

It was too long, couldn't be doing with reading it. Someone give me the gist of it, and not a sarcastic one either.

We are in the shit financially, and that we need new owners, but unfortunately the quickest way to get rid of C&A is to make the club itself as attractive as possible to potential buyers, and that means everyone, boss, players and fans showing a united front to make it a club worht buying, and that if we want C&A gone, we should accept that they will have to make a profit out of it.

EDIT: Unfortunately however, the thread is now about whether the squad is good enough for 7th.

Of course it does, but I don't agree that our squad is the 7th best in the league. It's at least 6th... It's another argument though.

And you were negged for being repetitive, not for being wrong (Joke).

Alright - for the sake of argument I'll concede 6th place to you. Still a MASSIVE failure in my eyes and one that has been created by a wafer thin depth of first team squad due to the spending policies of the Leeches.

It's all very well bringing in 75 players with potential but if they're thrown into the fray too early - as a lot of our players have - then to expect anything more than we got is wishful thinking in my opinion.

It is a good article-thought provoking.If shareliverpool was as effective as the red knights (or whatever they are called )then a more palatable solution could be possible.Like others I find the legacy of Moores and Parry to show them as totally shallow and incompetent.

I dont understand how this article has anything to do with whether we finish 4th or 7th.One is a long term structural and strategic issue as opposed to short/medium term tactical management of one part of the club.

We are in the shit financially, and that we need new owners, but unfortunately the quickest way to get rid of C&A is to make the club itself as attractive as possible to potential buyers, and that means everyone, boss, players and fans showing a united front to make it a club worht buying, and that if we want C&A gone, we should accept that they will have to make a profit out of it.

EDIT: Unfortunately however, the thread is now about whether the squad is good enough for 7th.

Thanks.

I dont understand how this article has anything to do with whether we finish 4th or 7th.One is a long term structural and strategic issue as opposed to short/medium term tactical management of one part of the club.

It doesn't, that discussion is simply about point scoring with regard to Benitez.

It is a good article-thought provoking.If shareliverpool was as effective as the red knights (or whatever they are called )then a more palatable solution could be possible.Like others I find the legacy of Moores and Parry to show them as totally shallow and incompetent.

Really - you really don't understand the link between the Leeches spending policy (i.e. there won't be any) and the fact that the team finished 7th?

Really - you really don't understand the link between the Leeches spending policy (i.e. there won't be any) and the fact that the team finished 7th?

But the article hasn't got anything to do with what the yanks have spent or not, it is about the financial problems of the club, and how the writer thinks the best solution to get rid of them is probably the most unpalatable to us, and that is to stop the boycott and/or protests against them.

Unfortunately, I think there is some truth in what he says.

Also, unfortunately, you are more repetitive than Catch 22. At least Catch has humour and often raises valid points

Ah well, I did think this was a good article but I didn't think I'd be reading about net spend and 7th bloody place. Going by the last 2 summers I wouldn't trust Lafa with 65m if it was spare.

At least I've learnt that Maddock is on the side of Purslow and Babel has some how made it into the Dutch squad.