You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Happy Rumour Mill (Takeover bids, transfer talks etc)

WhiskeyJar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wright-Philips is terrible; no ta.

N'Zogbia will do for me.

Who will probably cost far more.

How much did Wigan reject the offer they had for him?

SWP has not had a good few years, but at 28 years old he is still young enough to rediscover he top form... I think he is worth a punt at that price. Even if he is just an impact sub, using Maxi as first choice and making a profit by selling Kuyt.

Whlst it would be nice for Gerrard and Torres coming out and saying they are staying i wonder if them actually keeping quiet and saying they want to see what progress we make is more to do with trying to put pressure on the owners or not.

As regards SWP i think he is a decent player who as the ability to run and the full back and get crosses in.

It also helps him been English although im not sure on what is happening with the ruling on that.

Whlst it would be nice for Gerrard and Torres coming out and saying they are staying i wonder if them actually keeping quiet and saying they want to see what progress we make is more to do with trying to put pressure on the owners or not.

That is a very good point, although I would rather they were a bit more vocal about the ownership situation like Reina has been.

If the owners are selling then they won't care what Torres and Gerrard say, it's irrelevant.

If the owners are selling then they won't care what Torres and Gerrard say, it's irrelevant.

Gerrard and especially Torres are the club big marketing spinner.

I somehow don't seem to think Kuyts face on the posters will be as appealing to the Asian market as what Torres is.

The owners rightly claim that the marketing and merchandise has improved under their ownership and the two players mentioned play a major part in that.

SWP has not had a good few years, but at 28 years old he is still young enough to rediscover he top form... I think he is worth a punt at that price. Even if he is just an impact sub, using Maxi as first choice and making a profit by selling Kuyt.

No way would I sell Kuyt and buy that waster.

Guest PurpleNose

N'Zogbia will cost about £12m-£15m.

He could probably be a decent squad player for any of the four who qualified for the Champions League. We have very little hope of signing him.

I would keep Kuyt and use him as a striker next season.

So would i.

People say we need another striker but currently at the club there is Torres, Kuyt, N'Gog, Babel, Jovanovic all capable at playing in that position plus the likes of Nemeth also knocking on the door.

I would keep Kuyt and use him as a striker next season.

I wouldn't.

If we start the season with Kuyt as back up to Torres next season then we'll struggle whenever El Nino is injured, just like last season.

He can't play the lone striker role effectively, as the opposition know he isn't going to beat them for pace and all he can really do in that position is hold the ball up.

Think Jovanovic might be able to play the lone striker role, however Kuyt and Babel can't.

I also would rather we saw Aquilani (or J. Cole if signed) playing behind Torres than Kuyt. They are technically better, offer more threat and Torres likes playing upfront on his own.

I'd sell him, I like the guy - but I think he doesn't offer enough threat out wide and doesn't have the game to play upfront, especially on his own. Rather we got the money he could raise and buy the players we need.

I'd use Kuyt as striker too, but not as a lone one, he's gash at that...that was somewhere i thought Rafa went wrong last season, using N'Gog up front on his own rather than moving Kuyt up top with him and either dropping Gerrard back into mid-field or putting him wide on the right.

I wouldn't.

If we start the season with Kuyt as back up to Torres next season then we'll struggle whenever El Nino is injured, just like last season.

He can't play the lone striker role effectively, as the opposition know he isn't going to beat them for pace and all he can really do in that position is hold the ball up.

Think Jovanovic might be able to play the lone striker role, however Kuyt and Babel can't.

I also would rather we saw Aquilani (or J. Cole if signed) playing behind Torres than Kuyt. They are technically better, offer more threat and Torres likes playing upfront on his own.

I'd sell him, I like the guy - but I think he doesn't offer enough threat out wide and doesn't have the game to play upfront, especially on his own. Rather we got the money he could raise and buy the players we need.

Who said anything about playing a lone striker?

Who said anything about playing a lone striker?

So you would rather play 4-4-2 with Kuyt and Torres upfront? Despite Torres preferring to play as a lone striker.

Rather than play Aquilani or a J. Cole behind Torres? Players who are more creative and likely to feed El Nino and win games.

Kuyt will drop deep, but unfortunately he doesn't have the skill or touch to play such a crucial role.

He'd be good in the box, but I'm not sure it is the approach we should go.

Rather we got a striker who could play with Torres or cover for him when rested / injured and is capable of leading the line on his own.