You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sack Rafa or keep Rafa?

Maldini

Do you want to sack Rafa or keep Rafa  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to sack Rafa or keep Rafa

• sack him
    • keep him

That pefectly sums up this site for me.

Like you I dont hate him and how could you hate a man that gave you one the greatest nights of your life but you can want him sacked for the good of the club and still like him.

Unfortunately the Rafaites see everythng in black and white

Don't talk shite softlad, your lot are calling him a fat cunt / spic / fat spanish waiter.. A lot of the "rafaites" are quite aware of his failings, but no fucker calls him god or absolves him to the extent that those on the dark side seek to castigate the man.

Fuck me carradonna can't get laid so lays into the only cunt he can on saturday night, and it's the rafaites who are extreme... you lot are taking the taliban shit too seriously

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't talk shite softlad, your lot are calling him a fat cunt / spic / fat spanish waiter.. A lot of the "rafaites" are quite aware of his failings, but no fucker calls him god or absolves him to the extent that those on the dark side seek to castigate the man.

Fuck me carradonna can't get laid so lays into the only cunt he can on saturday night, and it's the rafaites who are extreme... you lot are taking the taliban shit too seriously

Really?

It is, but while we still havent changed the owners, is there any point changing the manager ?

We didnt have the money to compete 10 years ago, thats why we wanted to build a new stadium. 10 years on were still missing out on the title, still not good enough, still not enough good players and still not enough money.

IMO Rafa should still go. There is no doubt he has been hindered by the 2 twats but as far as I am concerned Rafa is just so predictable. I called the subs yesterday before the game started and Rafa delivered. Same story with his tactics which generally are on the defensive side. TBH I think last seasons end of season campaign was just a blip and he reverted to type once the season was over. Generally our football under him has been mind numbingly shite.

Are you serious? Did you not read what I posted?

No, it's pretty easy. You click on a name that you don't recognise, and ... investigate! Not rocket science.

Yeah we know about them, but tlaking from the experience managing the DuckBilled platypuss in last years Animal thingy (Im still bitter about it), those with Alt accounts are just as likely to be anti as pro Rafa, for every Trevor the transfer budgie there is a TLW admin...... :whistle:

But really, in what other poll do people carry on saying the poll was flawed? We had a poll and it was split accept it, you are not in a majority on this, neither are those who want him to stay.

Yeah we know about them, but tlaking from the experience managing the DuckBilled platypuss in last years Animal thingy (Im still bitter about it), those with Alt accounts are just as likely to be anti as pro Rafa, for every Trevor the transfer budgie there is a TLW admin...... :whistle:

A number of those accused of being alt accounts in that competition are bona fide TLW site members, as I believe such luminaries as kop, Paul and Stu Monty will confirm if threatened at gunpoint ...

I am undecided, as I think he needs to change his ways a little if he wants to stay. We need less turbulence for once. I wrote this over the weekend as a message to Rafa. It's long (surprise!) and probably a bit uneven, but it's what I think so hey.

-----------------------

I am of divided opinion where it comes to you. You have fought long and hard to make sure the fans know what was happening behind the scenes. You have taken more flak than any other English club manager I can think of. It seems fairly evident that many people in football and the media HATE you, regardless of what you did or didn't do/say. You have been partly responsible for some of the most memorable nights I've had as a Liverpool fan. The most treasured is not the night of Istanbul, but the bus parade in the city the following evening, which was simply unforgettable. The first time I could be PROUD to call myself a Liverpool fan.

However, while your stubbornness is an essential element for a successful manager, it needs to be channelled in the right way. Being stubborn in EVERY situation only serves to alienate and de-motivate people in the long run. Particularly when the ends haven't justified the means, as we have seen over the past 12 months.

If you are really serious about staying, you need to do a lot more to get your players and the club on your side. The fans will back you (generally) if good results keep coming, but you will, as you've no doubt noticed, lose an awful lot of goodwill when you stubbornly refuse to change things when it's glaringly obvious that things are not working. Whether you disagree or not, you simply must remove the impression that you value players who toe the line and refuse to speak out, rather than players who can make a genuine difference on the pitch.

If you want your players to give you that extra 5-10%, you will be more successful by reaching out to them, allowing them to improvise if need be, and explaining to them why you believe a course of action to be correct. The players must be free to show greater mobility and improvisation within your nominated framework. The framework should not be designed to stifle that talent. Also, you must use players suited to this model rather than trying to fit square pegs into round holes. This was one of the key failings of your predecessor. One which you took full advantage of when managing your previous club.

If you simply tell the players to do something without justifying it, do not be surprised if they fail to take it fully on board. Leave some space in players' minds to think for themselves instead of filling their heads with tactical permutations. You might not realise it, but it's often led them to take a second or two to consider their options, and in that time they've lost a promising position. It can also exacerbate the situation when players are not fully confident in their ability to deliver your instructions, as not only will they have to contend with worries about the opposition’s abilities, but also their own perceived failings.

When it comes to player signings, you’ve often waxed lyrical about wanting players with character. This suggests that you and your staff have done thorough research into the individuals you’ve pursued. However, again you’ve given both fans and the media the impression that you most value players who will hang on your every word, instead of players who will make a difference on the pitch. Yet, a few of these players have done what you’ve asked of them, and fallen short, woefully so in a few cases.

I understand that money issues have played a significant part in the case of missing out on a number of notable players, such as Dani Alves, Simao, Sergio Aguero and Carlos Tevez to name but a few. But the fact is, you haven’t exactly been short of money overall. Yes, you have done well in terms of generating revenue by offloading players, but many of these were players you yourself signed on the strength of their character. This has been the case every year you’ve been at Liverpool, and understandably raises questions amongst the support and the media. It has undoubtedly raised questions in the boardroom, particularly with the club’s recently enforced policy of belt-tightening (not your fault but the owners, I hasten to add). The number of leaks to the press certainly appear to bear this out.

Several players have been ostracised over the years, most recently Albert Riera, for speaking out of turn about the club. Also, players like Mark Gonzalez, Craig Bellamy, Jermaine Pennant, Peter Crouch and Robbie Keane have found themselves left out, often without really knowing why. It’s more painful, to them and to us fans, when the likes of Nabil el Zhar, Damien Plessis and David Ngog have been afforded numerous chances. It’s perhaps unfair to single Ngog because he has shown some progress, however slowly. Some fans also feel certain players are afforded ample opportunities despite being very limited in ability. Again, whilst unfair to single them out, Dirk Kuyt and Lucas Leiva fall into this category, along with Emiliano Insua. Kuyt offers unquestionable spirit and work rate, and has often proved to be a matchwinner, but he can struggle against the best opposition. Lucas and Insua are both young and have ample time to improve, but perhaps need to have more freedom to perform rather than be contrained by tactics.

Speaking of signings, you have made a number of cheap or free signings over the years that have had little to no significant impact on the team. They have always earned big contracts, and been difficult to move on if things went wrong. I hesitate to include Fabio Aurelio amongst them, as when he’s been fit and injury free he has been a good player for us. Apart from his obvious injury record, he’s always struggled when trying to recover match fitness. Boudewijn Zenden and Philipp Degen have had less impact overall. It would be harsh to judge Sotirios Kyrgiakos who has done well when called upon, and served the purpose for which he was signed. However, we then come to the likes of Andriy Voronin and Charles Itandje, both of whom have displayed questionable attitude totally out of keeping with your philosophy of being players with the right character. I hope we don’t see more of the same from Milan Jovanovic, who will join Liverpool with a similar standing and reputation to Voronin when he joined in 2007.

Sometimes, it pays to have a player who is a disruptive dressing room influence. If that player can deliver on the pitch consistently, he can be worth his weight in gold despite any off-field problems. As long as the player doesn’t have a negative impact on the field, he’s just as valuable a player as someone who always listens. By shackling or ostracising such a player, all you are left with is a disruptive influence on a large contract who is difficult to move on.

I could go on and on here, but the main thing is that you, as the current manager, need to spend more time understanding your players, and rather less time forcing them to understand your methods. Everybody says you are a little cold and distant, so I don’t expect you to open up to your players personally, but meeting them halfway could be of significant long-term benefit to both you, the players and the club.

You can decide for yourself whether I’m just a rambling know-nothing fan, or whether I’ve contributed anything of value. If it’s the former, then perhaps you are not amenable to change and need to seek pastures new. If the latter, I hope it goes a little way to easing the trauma of the past season and wish you well for the future.

------------

I expect this to be picked apart, but it's still better than some of the incoherent mutterings some of you spout in favour or against.

Of course he should go. And go now. I don't believe that Rafa thinks any more about what is in the club's best interests, as he's far far more interested in fighting political battles in the boardroom and obsessing over 'control' (over which he can never have enough). His negotiations with Juventus have bene both a distraction and a disgrace. We've given managers too long in the past - Souness, Houllier, Evans, even when it was brutally obvious that they could not achieve what we expected or hoped for. Let's not do that again.

What a load of shitfests. The poll says 50/50 almost so all them that claim the majority want Benitez now out are talking out their arses. Fuck Purslow, ''Hi, I got a degree in my own face'',''Call me Oynvind'' fuck Broughton the wank promise sayer with Leo Sayer's tailor took his pants in and he can't dance no other way, promising sales in 6 months, yeah Torres sold to your beloved Chelsea and your BA wages structures with honors and a bent pipe trouser leg at the bottom of the Billy Ocean. (No they don't make them in blue and you're too pale to wear white muthafucka!) Fuck bootcut Hicks diddily dicks and a chest of tricks like ba boom biff the goonie slant kid. Gillete can fuck off an all, I cant stand short people, except Martins are ok and if you think I'd take Benitez over that decision to make an annointment by that cunt bag take a drag on Rafa so make him queen of the realm in my torn kingdom but I wouldnt wish cancer on anyone so am sorry Rafa but LFC 1st and you're our best option.

What a load of shitfests. The poll says 50/50 almost so all them that claim the majority want Benitez now out are talking out their arses. Fuck Purslow, ''Hi, I got a degree in my own face'',''Call me Oynvind'' fuck Broughton the wank promise sayer with Leo Sayer's tailor took his pants in and he can't dance no other way, promising sales in 6 months, yeah Torres sold to your beloved Chelsea and your BA wages structures with honors and a bent pipe trouser leg at the bottom of the Billy Ocean. (No they don't make them in blue and you're too pale to wear white muthafucka!) Fuck bootcut Hicks diddily dicks and a chest of tricks like ba boom biff the goonie slant kid. Gillete can fuck off an all, I cant stand short people, except Martins are ok and if you think I'd take Benitez over that decision to make an annointment by that cunt bag take a drag on Rafa so make him queen of the realm in my torn kingdom but I wouldnt wish cancer on anyone so am sorry Rafa but LFC 1st and you're our best option.

seconded. What?

TLW"s very own Shamen