You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jury duty

JohnnyH

I'm doing this tomorrow. Initially I thought about trying to get out of it, but after hearing that this is now very difficult to do, and given that I do feel a bit like maybe I should do it anyway, I decided to accept my fate and so I'll head in to the courts in the morning.

Anyone any experience of this?

I quite enjoyed it, but there was a fair bit of sitting around ( Didn't get a case until the Wednesday ).

Cacked myself in the second week when they were trying to get a jury together for a 16 week trial ( I would have been shot in work ). They brought everybody who wasn't on a trial & had a lottery-style affair. If your name came out you had to either sit in the jury box or walk down to the trial judge & explain why you wouldn't / couldn't do it. I was one of only 5 people left when the last person went into the box.

The only funny story was when I was talking to another guy who lived at an address where his dad & son both lived & all 3 had the same name. He phoned up the jury office and asked who was actually meant to attend, thinking there would be some sophisticated system to it. The girl seemed flummoxed for a moment & then asked him who had opened the letter. He said him , she said ' well it's you then'

Well in the movies, the protagonist always manages to say something profound, humiliate the foreman, and bonk the mysteriously attractive young woman who seems to be hiding something.

The one time I ended up doing it though, I was bored stiff, the mysteriously attractive young woman ended up shagging the foreman, and the food was gash. A couple of days into it, I was ready to pronounce the miscreant guilty out of spite.

Hope you have more fun.

This is all sounding a bit shite. I may fake a heart attack. Or a decent dose of the shites.

A major gang and drug leader was shot and killed in a pub last weekend and I've been dreading someone would get arrested for it in case they decided to select the jury now.

I'll bring a book I suppose if there is going to be lots of handing around.

This is all sounding a bit shite. I may fake a heart attack. Or a decent dose of the shites.

A major gang and drug leader was shot and killed in a pub last weekend and I've been dreading someone would get arrested for it in case they decided to select the jury now.

I'll bring a book I suppose if there is going to be lots of handing around.

Make it a fucking big one: I spent days waiting to spend an hour listening to a few teenage scrotes from St Helens lying about some stupid little tiff they'd had. Still, I got a chance to read The Brothers Karamazov. (I considered Crime and Punishment, but I thought that'd be too obvious.)

• 3 years later...

Bumping this as I got a summons for jury duty yesterday. Arrived at my ma and da's address as I am registered there on the polls or whatever, they sounded all excited. Being invited for jury duty while self-employed is a fucking nightmare.

Have requested to be made ineligible as I would lose a lot of work, will lose the contract I am working on etc.

Weird thing is, 12 months ago I would have loved to have been summoned. Time off work, interesting scenario. Right now it is a real pain in the arse. I expect to be excused but I'd have loved to have gone. I feel my avatar shows how much of a great juror I would be. I believe in justice.

Bumping this as I got a summons for jury duty yesterday. Have applied for excusion as I am self-employed and would lose a lot of work.

Weird thing is' date=' 12 months ago I would have loved to have been summoned. Time off work, interesting scenario. Right now it is a real pain in the arse.[/quote']

No worries Noos knows...

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/50461-jury-service.html#post813397

Or write a letter like RiS...

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/82816-fucking-jury-service.html#post1872218

Sorted.

Cheers buddy, I must admit I was thinking along those lines, or even the classic works of Larry David in evading jury duty:

[YOUTUBE]94zkBGm1IoU[/YOUTUBE]

Always fancied doing it.

Me too.

Got called for it last year but then the Friday before it was due to start I got a call at work saying it wouldn't be necessary, but they did ask if I'd be interested in a further 3 months time. Course I would...

3 months later and my granda died quite suddenly, about 4 hours before my service was due to start. I phoned them and after some humming and harring they reluctantly agreed to again defer. No probs, look forward to it...

About another 3 months later I turn up at the court with my jury summons letter in my pocket. Odd, because it was a Tuesday and before the court opened I was talking to some of the other juror's who'd all started the day before.

Anyway, cutting a long story short, the jury manager bint starts giving me some attitude about how all jury service always starts on Mondays, so I reach in my pocket and pull out the letter...she was fucking flabbergasted. They court had only fucked it up again.

She had no choice but to pay my expenses, and ask whether I would again like to postpone. I told her that on this occasion I would rather cancel because my employer was getting rather pissed off at the whole thing, and out of fairness to them, yada yada...

So, I got the train back home, said fuck all to anyone, avoided work like the plague and had 2 weeks off, fully paid up !

Ha ha, fucking loved my jury service.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping this as I got a summons for jury duty yesterday. Arrived at my ma and da's address as I am registered there on the polls or whatever, they sounded all excited. Being invited for jury duty while self-employed is a fucking nightmare.

Have requested to be made ineligible as I would lose a lot of work, will lose the contract I am working on etc.

Weird thing is, 12 months ago I would have loved to have been summoned. Time off work, interesting scenario. Right now it is a real pain in the arse. I expect to be excused but I'd have loved to have gone. I feel my avatar shows how much of a great juror I would be. I believe in justice.

Follow up letter today. Excused from Jury Service for the foreseeable future.

• 8 years later...