You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All seems a bit speculative to me. Has there ever been any indication from him or the club that he bought Johnson purely because of monies owed?

Remember, at that time the same people that defend him on this often repeat the mantra that he thought he had £20M plus player sales and was looking to bring another player in without selling.

So which is it to be?

I have no clue, and I don't how any others can claim to know either. Aren't we only speculating on here every single day?

We have a pair of cunts as owners, little money, a manager that has spent our scarce resources poorly for the last two years, and as a result the performances have gotten worse and key players have lost faith in the manager or are getting there. That's my only real "take" on the situation at the moment. Everything else is just details.

All seems a bit speculative to me. Has there ever been any indication from him or the club that he bought Johnson purely because of monies owed?

Remember, at that time the same people that defend him on this often repeat the mantra that he thought he had £20M plus player sales and was looking to bring another player in without selling.

So which is it to be?

You seem to be suggesting that he can't have thought both situations were true.

1 - He bought Johnson knowing Portsmouth owed us money

2 - He thought he had £20 left to buy another player with.

They're not mutually exclusive.

You fail at maths. They've since taken prize money off them for their FA cup run by the way.

That's not true.

Pompey get FA Cup cash boost

Portsmouth will receive more than £500,000 in prize money following their FA Cup quarter-final win against Birmingham last month.

The Football Association has confirmed the Professional Game Board has approved Portsmouth's request for the release of ₤607,000, which includes a win bonus of ₤360,000 and ₤247,000 in live television revenue.

The club applied for the money on 31st March and their request was approved on Wednesday.

Any club who enters administration is required to make a written request for prize money, broadcast fees and pool payments under FA rules.

Portsmouth can expect at least a further £450,000 in prize money, even if they lose Sunday's semi-final against Tottenham.

Each semi-final winner receives £900,000, with £1.8million awarded to the winners of the FA Cup final.

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Portsmouth | Pompey get FA Cup cash boost

Guest Pistonbroke
Aye, don't you just hate dissenters in a lynch mob.

I have my likes and dislikes, i dare say you are no different. Plus we're not on about religion here.

Guest Pistonbroke
Awwww, come on! Was it only because of the lynch mob thing?

Nope, you didn't send me an xmas card. Seriously, Kenny's spell gets on my tits with his body swerving whilst answering posts and his arrogant attitude. Might be a fine hap in real life, it's the posts and the way he words them which is my dislike. I read yours as well. Honest.

I rate Johnson. Lucky we managed to get him for £6m as I don't think we would have got much of the £11m we sold Crouch for from Pompey.. Worked out ok.

Also I don't think it's fair to say he sold Arbeloa. Yes, technically he did, but Bob wanted to go back home and if anything it was Rafa that made Bob the player that he is today. A regular in the Real Madrid and Spanish national side.

that money was protected, the PL would ensure that all football debts are paid. He was 17m, for a player worse than the one we had. My point is rafa sold 2 players, bought 2 for equal value and made the team worse. It took him about 50 goes at right back before he fluked on arbeloa, he loves this kind of revolving door, I don't think it works. I would prefer to stick with what we have than let him loose again. There's nothing we can do if torres and gerrard want to leave, but I'd be fucked if I'd let benitez loose with the cash, I'd sooner give him his 16m pay off and let someone else have the rest

The Code72 theory. Sell half your squad to buy one really good player.

Not really.

More like, dont buy players you`re not going to play, spend the money on someone who actually will contribute to the team and make it better instead if you actually for some strange reason feel the need to change things around.