You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit - just seeing the "bottling it" line. No chance he might actually want to stay at Liverpool? Why has everyone decided he now just wants to stay because he's greedy (despite apparantly been offfered more money at Juve and rejecting it)?

Now, Johnny, let's nip this in the bud before it becomes the new mantra on TLW and RAWK.

Liverpool pay Rafa Benitez £4m basic salary a year.

Juventus were by all accounts offering Rafa 3.5m EUROS per year (c. £3.25m).

So to go to Turin, Rafa would have been taking approximately a 20% pay cut. I'm not saying he is greedy (although interesting how Xabi was dismissed on here as greedy for going to Madrid for more money, so clearly we all accept money matters). I don't know why he didn't accept the Juve offer (and at least we can now all agree he was offered the job and was in negotiations, which of course was once vehemently denied by the Usual Enthusiastic Members on here!). BUT I think we need to stop citing this 'could have left for more money' line. He would have taken a pay cut to go to Turin.

BUT I think we need to stop citing this 'could have left for more money' line. He would have taken a pay cut to go to Turin.

Why, because 'by all accounts'?

Some of the stuff posted on here is laughable.

Now, Johnny, let's nip this in the bud before it becomes the new mantra on TLW and RAWK.

So to go to Turin, Rafa would have been taking approximately a 20% pay cut. I'm not saying he is greedy (although interesting how Xabi was dismissed on here as greedy for going to Madrid for more money, so clearly we all accept money matters). I don't know why he didn't accept the Juve offer (and at least we can now all agree he was offered the job and was in negotiations, which of course was once vehemently denied by the Usual Enthusiastic Members on here!). BUT I think we need to stop citing this 'could have left for more money' line. He would have taken a pay cut to go to Turin.

They were paying him £5m up front as well according to the reports

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

So much for

A little more humility and a little less arrogance from all of us would make for a far more agreeable forum, maybe one where we can concentrate on what matters rather than squabbling endlessly about semantics.

Anyway..............

And replace it with some other made up nonsense.

Whose 'accounts' are these, the same 'accounts' that told you Juve had a signed agreement, or the ones that claimed to have a photo of Rafa meeting Juve's director(s)

I don't know why he didn't accept the Juve offer (and at least we can now all agree he was offered the job and was in negotiations, which of course was once vehemently denied by the Usual Enthusiastic Members on here!).
Care to point out where I posted that, because I don't actually think I did?

Don't make me plead now

By the way, as far as that 'witty' little play on words, how old are you, 12, I bet you went to public school too didn't you?

BUT I think we need to stop citing this 'could have left for more money' line. He would have taken a pay cut to go to Turin.
Because that just doesn't suit 'the policy' now, does it?

I had been asked to not bother responding to you, as you are boring the tits off everyone, and I'm not helping the situation, so if your going to call me out in future, do everyone a favour and pm me instead.

Juventus were offering him 3.5m euros a year AFTER tax. He earns £4 million a year here, but then pays (in theory) 40 per cent tax on quite a lot of it. Even with clever accounting (which must be hard, when everyone knows what you earn), he'd struggle to avoid paying a substantial amount to the tax. The offer from Juve was designed to match what he earns here in terms of take-home.

Not quite sure what "in negotiations" means, but are you telling me you'd not meet someone who was prepared to offer you a job and listen to what they had to say? I would. Doesn't make Rafa the bad guy because Juventus wanted him to be their manager.

Juventus were offering him 3.5m euros a year AFTER tax. He earns £4 million a year here, but then pays (in theory) 40 per cent tax on quite a lot of it. Even with clever accounting (which must be hard, when everyone knows what you earn), he'd struggle to avoid paying a substantial amount to the tax. The offer from Juve was designed to match what he earns here in terms of take-home.

Not quite sure what "in negotiations" means, but are you telling me you'd not meet someone who was prepared to offer you a job and listen to what they had to say? I would. Doesn't make Rafa the bad guy because Juventus wanted him to be their manager.

Erm.......Zing

As the kids say, apparently, or something

Royal Family, more like Royal Fail(ily) (I'm not good at this clever insult thing, evidently)

Inter surely wouldn't offer less wages than Juve, and if you don't like interfering "senior sources" you don't go to Inter. Or Real of course.

Or Milan, where Berlusconi has been known to pick certain members of the team! Or Juve where the board is split into two factions, one of which wanted Rafa and one of which wanted an Italian manager? Hardly a recipe for stability? Isn't that exactly the point, RR? That actually he is in a powerful and largely unfettered position at Liverpool, as indeed most English managers are compared to their counterparts at continental teams? For the record, I think Rafa is far more interested in 'control' than money, and this was the sticking point in his contract negotiations last year.

Your bud nipping needs a bit of work RF. Benitez would have been on a higher monthly wage at Juve if the figures are true. The figures (by all accounts as you say) are an equivalent of £6m a year. It would have been a pay rise.

Also, I don't agree that Rafa has had discussions with Juve, I was merely going off the party line from here and the created rumour that he has. If the club want rid of him, then they would have got rind of him by now on the back of those discussions I would imagine.

If the club want rid of him, then they would have got rind of him by now on the back of those discussions I would imagine.

Yes, we can happily agree on this. As we established before, Hicks rang Rafa to ask him to stay: the owners, or at least the only one who is compos mentis, do want Rafa to stay as they think it makes the club a more stable and thus attractive option.

Yes, we can happily agree on this. As we established before, Hicks rang Rafa to ask him to stay: the owners, or at least the only one who is compos mentis, do want Rafa to stay as they think it makes the club a more stable and thus attractive option.

Didn't realise this had been established. There certainly seems to be some amount of insiders listening in on Rafas phone calls.

Anyway, C&A have stepped back and these decisions are with Purslow and Broughton, so a call from Hicks (no doubt designed to make it look like Rafa supports Hicks) would make no real difference as Purslow and Broughton can sack Rafa if they want, and I'm sure they would once they become the last people on earth to find out about this guaranteed fact of Rafas meetings and signed agreement with Juve.

Inter Milan have denied reports they have approached Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez about the possibility of replacing Jose Mourinho.

Mourinho has been linked with a summer move to Real Madrid, should the Spanish club part company with Manuel Pellegrini, and will make a decision on his future after Saturday's Champions League final against Bayern Munich.

When asked about Benitez, Inter sporting director Marco Branca said to Sky Italia: 'We absolutely have had no contact with Benitez.'Our coach is Jose Mourinho.'

Benitez has also been linked with the Juventus hotseat in recent months but the Turin giants are set to unveil former Sampdoria tactician Luigi Del Neri as their new coach this week.

Didn't realise this had been established. There certainly seems to be some amount of insiders listening in on Rafas phone calls.

It hasn't

He may well have been calling him to wish him Happy Birthday, or to tell him to pack his bags, pleaded with him, even.

He might even have dialled him accidentally, trying to get hold of this place

Raphael's Restaurante Mexicano > Home

But just like the 'photo', the 'note' and Juve offering less money, your just expected to believe every nonsense accusation.

I dont think theres any truth regarding the juve job offer.

However I do think its a situation that was created by Rafa.

He seen his arse when he realised he would not get a big transfer pot.

So next thing its oh look Juve want me.A change from the usual RM interest.

Only problem this time is the club never responded to the rumour.

The reason the club never responded this time,is because the situation at the club has changed.

RBS have/had seen there arse with C+A,they wanted to call time up with the loan.

They knew though that if they did,that would make the club insolvent,which they didnt want to do.

So when C+A announced they wanted to sell up,RBS gave them the 6 months to find a buyer option.

If C+A never put us up for sale,RBS would of called the loan in.

RBS dont trust the owners but have given them the chance to find a buyer.

They know C+A could be just trying it on with putting us up for sale,which is why they put a condition on the 6 months buyer option.

If it is true then they are looking at the situation here again in July.

If they find C+A have not done enough to satisfy them in looking for buyers,they will call the loan in then.

The owners dont give a fuck if Rafa goes or stays.They would prefer him to stay,as they know if he left,they could not get a manger anywere near as good here.

We havent got a pot to piss in,we are at the top of shit creek with no paddle,and a boat starting to capsize.

Rafa created his own problem with the juve want him stuff.

Now he finds himself in a situation all his own doing.

Now we need to see if a club comes in to get him or if he waits to see what happens in July with RBS.

Thats just my take on whats going on.