You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Link up with Charlton

WaltonRed

Charlton also revealed that the talks with Liverpool were also taking in a plan for a "strategic partnership" for the development of players from both clubs.

Thats from the Beeb's story on Shelvey.

Sounds like a good idea to me, hopefully we'll see some of our kids sent out on loan and we get 1st dibs on anyone they produce.

The Crewe one never really worked out did it?

It's a good idea in principle to have a friendly relationship with a lower league team so that we can loan them players to get experience, etc. But I don't think it really works in practice.

I tend to agree. These link-ups appear to offer the best for both parties, but in reality they're not going to let us have the next Fowler on the cheap, any more than we're going to loan them loads of very-good-but-not-quite-ready starlets.

It costs money to have a genuine 1st option on a decent player, we paid a good chunk of Ashton's wages at crewe only to pass on signing him in the end.

I suspect this reported arrangement has saved us a few quid off the fee.

"Let's link up with a club that's plummeted two divisions recently, they may be able to provide us with decent players".

I wonder whose suggestion this was?

Probably someone who knows how many great young players are produced in London who we can't sign

Probably someone who knows how many great young players are produced in London who we can't sign

Hadn’t thought about it that way Maldini.

What are the rules on signing kids? Within a 100 mile radius or something?

Considering a third of the population of Britain or something live in the south-east if there’s a sneaky way we can get a London club to help us capture some of those kids it’s probably a better idea than I initially thought.

Considering a third of the population of Britain or something live in the south-east if there’s a sneaky way we can get a London club to help us capture some of those kids it’s probably a better idea than I initially thought.

60 or 90 minutes travel time is the limit depending on the age group.

Not the same though. More people but far less footballers . Southern softies!

Yeah it's 60 minutes up to 14 (I think) and 90 after that so the furthest we can get is Birmingham I think. I suppose it makes Charlton a more attractive prospect for kids too, they're more likely to get first team football at Charlton, but if they're really special we might take them at a young age.

Charlton actually have a relatively good record of producing players for a club of their size.

I tend to agree. These link-ups appear to offer the best for both parties, but in reality they're not going to let us have the next Fowler on the cheap, any more than we're going to loan them loads of very-good-but-not-quite-ready starlets.

It costs money to have a genuine 1st option on a decent player, we paid a good chunk of Ashton's wages at crewe only to pass on signing him in the end.

I suspect this reported arrangement has saved us a few quid off the fee.

First I've heard of this.......why would LFC pay his wages?

Do you know why we never ended up signing him?

Even if this just means that a couple of our guys go there this year it'll be good for their development, which is a good thing.

I agree.

Players like Babel, Lucas, Kygriakos, Insua, N'Gog, Aquliani, El Zhar, Plessis, Degen and Riera would really benefit from some time on loan in England's 3rd division.

If it just to give then playing time then fine, but other than that I am not sure what it proves.

Look at Spearing, good player in a second division side, Eccleston, not exactly ripping up trees in the third division and the same for Darby at Swindon. Just proves that they have found their level.

If it just to give then playing time then fine, but other than that I am not sure what it proves.

Look at Spearing, good player in a second division side, Eccleston, not exactly ripping up trees in the third division and the same for Darby at Swindon. Just proves that they have found their level.

It toughens kids up, they play against adults who will target them because they are from a big club. The likes of Amoo, Irwin, Palsson and Cooper all have great aspects of their game but if they were to go and play it would put into perspective what they need to work on.

I think Spearing has shown that he has the talent to go further, I base my opinion on Darby more on his decent showing for us than his time at Swindon, I just hope it's toughening him up, I think he's no worse now than Carra was at his age. Eccleston's time has been a bit disappointing, but again it'll show him that looking good in the ressies is a long way from the first team and that he has a lot of work to do, he'll be back and hopefully spending a good amount of time with the first team in training, just watch, he'll cut a much more focussed figure on that field next year.

basically I think these deals prove very little, but they help the player get their priorities in order and hopefully make very real to the individual just how much work they have to put in to prove themselves.

"Let's link up with a club that's plummeted two divisions recently, they may be able to provide us with decent players".

I wonder whose suggestion this was?

Alternatively, let's have our young players stagnate when they reach reserve team level, where you see things like no match for 3 months, followed by about 10 in the space of 3 weeks.

Also, we're not asking for their entire team here. It may be just 2-3 players over a 2-3 year period. Glad you're not running the show.

This. We are widening our UK catchment area, to circumvent the whole "must be within 90-minute drive from Liverpool" fiasco.

the deal is done

---

Charlton Athletic's England youth international Jonjo Shelvey will join Liverpool on May 10.

The 18-year-old has passed a medical and agreed personal terms after the two clubs yesterday agreed a fee. Liverpool will pay an initial £1.7m with further potential payments depending on domestic and international appearances.

Shelvey became Charlton's youngest player when he made his first-team debut against Barnsley at Oakwell in April 2008 at the age of just 16 years and 59 days. He is also the club's youngest FA Cup and league goalscorer.

He has made 48 appearances and scored eight goals for The Addicks and is an established England U17 international.

Liverpool's Managing Director Christian Purslow said: "Jonjo is an exciting young England international. His signing is part of our long-term strategic recruitment plan and we all look forward to welcoming him to Melwood."

The two clubs are also in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions as a result of the transfer.

Charlton Athletic plc chairman Richard Murray said: "It is with the greatest reluctance that we have accepted an offer for Jonjo from Liverpool.

"No club likes to lose such a talented prospect, but the overall package is one we couldn't refuse, and one which was very attarctive to Jonjo.

"Liverpool are going to develop him over the next few years to be a top player, and I can't think of a better place for him to go to."

LFC sign England youth ace - Liverpool FC