You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Red Mist

Someones famous.

Dave Usher

Editor of the Liverpool Way fanzine

'There will be no satisfactory outcome on Sunday. If we win, we are basically handing the title to the Mancs and allowing them to overhaul us as the most successful side in the land. But if we lose, we are giving up any faint hope of finishing in the top four. I want us to win but if we don't you won't find me crying about it. There is a part of me that would find it hilarious if Rafa 'rested' most of our side and we lost, as it would cause Fergie's head to explode'

The Anfield dilemma – win over Chelsea could hand title to United | Football | The Guardian

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In some ways, you could read that as a positive. He'd get a medal knowing he did fuck all to earn it. In the long run, that's maybe as bad as not getting one.

Oh, but he did. He scored the winner deep into injury time against Man City. I even had to neg some bastard on here as he'd done he's best to jinx it by taking the piss out of Owen before/during the game.

EDIT: Usher beat me to it.

As far as I can see on this thread nobody has mentioned that Everton could still mathematically finish above us this season.

They go to Stoke on Saturday which is winnable for them which means they could be two points behind us going into the last game when they play Portsmouth who they will beat with Portsmouth having the small matter of a FA Cup Final the week after and we travel to Hull. We should beat Hull but there is more chance of Everton beating Portsmouth than us beating Hull with our diabolical away form this year.

Would people be happy with us losing against Chelsea if it meant Everton finishing above us and us finishing as low as we have finished since our promotion in 61-62? 8th is our lowest finish back in the write off season in 93-94 when Evans took over half way through. We could easily finish that low again should results go against us in the final weeks and behind our neighbours for only the second time since 86-87.

Edited by Juan Galonso

Would you if it meant Rafa left?

I don't think Everton finishing above us or not will have any sway over that somehow. Whatever is going to happen will happen no matter if Everton finish above us or not. If they did then his position would surely have to be untenable even if I liked it or not.

I am talking about it from a fans perspective however and the whole bragging aspect of it not the manager's situation.

I was just trying to say that its not always a simple choice.

I'd rather Everton finished above us in our worst final position for 16 years, than the mancs get the title. No matter what they say, they couldnt take real satisfaction from their own performance finishing above us if we fell that low. And I doubt any of them would be saying anything worse than our own fans do about our performances / position.

And theoretically, I was giving you a similar choice, we know your position on Rafa - would you accept finishing below Everton for him to go - local bragging rights v's your beliefs on whats best for the club?

I was just trying to say that its not always a simple choice.

I'd rather Everton finished above us in our worst final position for 16 years, than the mancs get the title. No matter what they say, they couldnt take real satisfaction from their own performance finishing above us if we fell that low. And I doubt any of them would be saying anything worse than our own fans do about our performances / position.

And theoretically, I was giving you a similar choice, we know your position on Rafa - would you accept finishing below Everton for him to go - local bragging rights v's your beliefs on whats best for the club?

Yeah fair point. My take on the Everton finishing above us situation seeing the back of Rafa basically is neither here nor there as we will finish 7th or 8th either way which is enough reason alone for a parting of the ways surely? 4th wasn't good enough for Houllier. 3rd wasn't good enough for Evans so should 7th or 8th be good enough for Benitez regardless of what I personally think?

Personally.

I don't care either way, the season for me may possibly end on Thursday. I have no intention of watching the Liverpool v Chelsea game.

If Everton finish above us, which wouldn't surprise me, hopefully it would convince the remaining lot that Benitez needs to go faster than warts on yer dick.

This has been a nightmare season for us and we all would like to forget it as soon as possible but in years to come it could also be remembered as the season were Liverpool threw a game to stop ManU winning the league. Being tarnished like that would be shameful. Could even make us less attractive to investors.

We simply have to go out and try to win against Chelsea and see what happens.

This doesn't mean Rafa has to play a full strength team if he wants to rest players for the Europa final should we get there - we will probably rest players at Hull as well but then no-one will question that.

This has been a nightmare season for us and we all would like to forget it as soon as possible but in years to come it could also be remembered as the season were Liverpool threw a game to stop ManU winning the league. Being tarnished like that would be shameful. Could even make us less attractive to investors.

We simply have to go out and try to win against Chelsea and see what happens.

This doesn't mean Rafa has to play a full strength team if he wants to rest players for the Europa final should we get there - we will probably rest players at Hull as well but then no-one will question that.

Who said Liverpool are throwing the game? You honestly think we are good enough to decide wether to lose, draw or beat a team like Chelsea (or anyone else for that matter)? How about Sunderland are they going to throw their game?

I know we wont throw the game but if it 'looks' in any way that we didn't try to win (like some fans are asking for) then the accusation will always be leveled at us. The Sunderland players wont be thinking they have upset their own fans if they beat United so no reason for them not to try except they have nothing to play for.

Personally I'd rather hand Chelsea the three points.

We've been shit this season. And what makes people think if we finish 4th we'll finish there next season? We're just prolonging the inevitable.

Plus, I'd give anything to see Fergusons head explode like many on here.

We can finish 4th and below. But each place is still mediocre. In that sense, I couldn't give a fuck what we do.

Personally I'd rather hand Chelsea the three points.

We've been shit this season. And what makes people think if we finish 4th we'll finish there next season? We're just prolonging the inevitable.

Plus, I'd give anything to see Fergusons head explode like many on here.

We can finish 4th and below. But each place is still mediocre. In that sense, I couldn't give a fuck what we do.

Not saying I disagree with you Mick but would that mean finishing below Everton as well? That is a very realistic possibility should we lose and they win this weekend.

Not saying I disagree with you Mick but would that mean finishing below Everton as well? That is a very realistic possibility should we lose and they win this weekend.

Are they at Stoke?

I know what you mean, John. But if they finish above us to get into the Europa League I'd be arsed. But other than that, I couldn't give two fucks.

Plus, here's the mother of all questions:

Would you rather the Mancs beat us to number 19? Or Everton finish above us for one season?

Saying that, are we just going to hope the Mancs don't win the league every season so they can't get to number 19 before we do?

We can't do that forever. They're far closer to winning the league than we are so I'd put my money on them winning the league again before us.

I know we wont throw the game but if it 'looks' in any way that we didn't try to win (like some fans are asking for) then the accusation will always be leveled at us. The Sunderland players wont be thinking they have upset their own fans if they beat United so no reason for them not to try except they have nothing to play for.

Doesn't really matter what people on an internet forum say though does it?

I really dont give two fucks what the Mancs think.

Us and Sunderland only have to draw our games to fuck one of the title contenders up.

If it does look like we couldnt be arsed even attempting to get something out of the game, tough shit.The Mancs have already been presented with 3 points before a ball was kicked this season by a team rolling over(Wolves). And, come Sunday we could have nothing to play for.

If Chelsea were playing away to a team, with nothing to play for, managed by one of their ex legends, West Ham, for instance, with John Terrys brother playing centre half for West Ham (having already scored a 94th minute og in the previous meeting), which game, if any, would you put money on being 'fixed'?