You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Juventus begin to hire backroom staff for Liverpool boss Benitez

bonesman

I won't sign the contract, not enough money. We caved in.

I won't sign the contract, I want full control over transfers. We caved in.

I won't sign the contract, I want control over the Academy. We caved in.

Bit rich for him to moan about assurances now after his underperformance since he got the 110% slanted in his favour contract.

Time will tell. I don't think he'll leave unless he gets the heave-ho.

Maybe, maybe not, but it won't be down to Juve backing off. For me the only way he will stay is if he gets investment in the team which means new owners before July. The noises he's making at the moment seem commensurate with this.

Maybe, maybe not, but it won't be down to Juve backing off. For me the only way he will stay is if he gets investment in the team which means new owners before July. The noises he's making at the moment seem commensurate with this.

I'm not sure it's about investment personally, as long as they say they'll cut him slack and back him, as they have done this season, if there's bugger all money available again, I think that'll be enough for him. He's God here, he'll never get another chance at that. For someone like him an opportunity like he has is worth some sacrifices.

Under-fire Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez on the brink of sealing four-year deal at Juventus | Mail Online

Under-fire Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez on the brink of sealing four-year deal at Juventus

By John Edwards

Rafael Benitez refused to respond to speculation linking him with an imminent move to Juventus

Juventus expect Rafa Benitez to sign a four-year deal at the Stadio Olimpico in the next fortnight.

Sources in Turin claimed on Friday night that the club’s lawyers were in discussions over a financial package to compensate Benitez for the pay-off he would forfeit by walking out on Liverpool.

Benitez is ready to quit to take up his new post as successor to caretaker manager Alberto Zaccheroni but is mindful that he would be due at least £15million from Liverpool if he stayed put and waited for the axe to fall.

Juventus believe a compromise offer of around £5m, on top of a four-year contract worth £16million, should be enough to instal him in time to start work on a rebuilding programme that would begin immediately.

Benitez did little to change the perception that his six-year reign was nearing an end, as he reflected on a bitterly disappointing Europa League semi-final defeat by Atletico Madrid and admitted he had only remained at Anfield over the past season because of support from Liverpool fans.

Growing signs that even their patience is wearing thin may have influenced his thinking, as, for the first time, he refused to say whether he wanted to lead Liverpool into another campaign.

Plea: The majority of Liverpool fans want Benitez to remain in charge at Anfield

He had always expressed an eagerness to extend his Anfield stay ‘for many more years’.

Asked specifically if he would like still to be Liverpool manager at the start of next season, though, he replied: ‘I want to win against Chelsea and then Hull, and that is all.’

Challenged on Juventus’s assertion he was Turin-bound, he would only say: ‘I am here now, and hopefully I will be here on Sunday against Chelsea.

‘The fact that I am still here is down to the fans. I have had Pagemassive offers over the last year, but I decided to stay because of the fans.’

Juve’s new president Andrea Agnelli failed in a bold bid to appoint England coach Fabio Capello but is fully behind a push to recruit Benitez.

Final straw? Diego Forlan's goal in extra-time dumped Liverpool out of the Europa League and could signal the end for Benitez

Agnelli has sanctioned a transfer budget of around £75million for each of the next two summers in a bid to take Juventus back to the top of Italian football and recreate the golden era under Marcello Lippi.

After that, the Juve chief will expect to see signs of his heavy investment reaping rewards, particularly with their new stadium due for completion midway through the two-year spending plan.

Significantly, Juventus are being linked with Sao Paolo midfielder Hernandes, a top target for Benitez earlier this season, and are also said to be considering an approach for Liverpool’s Dirk Kuyt.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift | Liverpool - Times Online

Oliver Kay, Football Correspondent

Rafael Benítez could bid an emotional farewell to Anfield tomorrow after a breakdown of trust between the Liverpool manager and the board.

The club’s hierarchy believe Benítez is “playing games” as he weighs up an offer to take over at Juventus.

Sources at Anfield said last night that the situation looks increasingly untenable for both parties, but the mechanics of Benítez’s departure remain unclear because of two factors: the extraordinary sum of £16 million that he would be due as compensation if relieved of his duties and the uncertainty over the future ownership of the club.

The board insists that Benítez’s potential payoff will not stop it acting decisively. However, the Spaniard believes he has a watertight five-year contract, agreed only last year, which entitles him to be paid within 24 hours of having his contract terminated.

With at least two groups expressing serious interest in buying Liverpool from Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the uncertainty may be prolonged until a takeover has been finalised, but the club’s hierarchy are prepared to discuss the matter with potential investors if they fear Benítez has become a “lame duck” manager after a wretched season in which they lie seventh in the Barclays Premier League with two matches remaining, the first against Chelsea in a potential title decider tomorrow.

Benítez has an arrangement with Christian Purslow, the managing director, to sit down at the end of the season, after the final Premier League fixture away to Hull City a week tomorrow, to discuss the future. Having not yet spoken to Martin Broughton, who was appointed as chairman a fortnight ago, Benítez fears the worst, but a swift resolution looks unlikely. The Liverpool board will not stand in Benítez’s way if he wants to join Juventus or any other club, which would at least spare it the payout.

Benítez said yesterday: “I decided to stay last year because of the fans and for one year I have been working hard, trying to do my best. We will see what happens in the future.”

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift | Liverpool - Times Online

Oliver Kay, Football Correspondent

Rafael Benítez could bid an emotional farewell to Anfield tomorrow after a breakdown of trust between the Liverpool manager and the board.

The club’s hierarchy believe Benítez is “playing games” as he weighs up an offer to take over at Juventus.

Nooooooo......Rafa Benitez? Surely not. A man of integrity is Rafa.

I won't sign the contract, not enough money. We caved in.

I won't sign the contract, I want full control over transfers. We caved in.

I won't sign the contract, I want control over the Academy. We caved in.

Bit rich for him to moan about assurances now after his underperformance since he got the 110% slanted in his favour contract.

Correct

Time will tell. I don't think he'll leave unless he gets the heave-ho.

Incorrect. This twat will jump ship if Juve offer him money to cover his arse for walking out on us.

Then you'll see benitez in his true light, a manager not capable of winning another title. Ever again even if he has a shit load of money. What'll be his excuse then?

Nooooooo......Rafa Benitez? Surely not. A man of integrity is Rafa.

The end is nigh, mate. He's going.

The new chairman hasnt spoken to him yet. This is the same man who had wall to wall newspaper covergae of being made chairman and how a sake would be done etc, etc but he hasnt had the time to speak to the manager!

That says a thousand words like 'sorry matey but you're down the road, one way or the other'!

I think your not far off there John. I can see this getting very messy indeed. I'm looking forward to Rafa's book.

A lot will depend on how much Juventus compensate him for leaving I suppose Mick. He is legally entitled to get as much as he can from us but if that happens and he drags us through the court then I think it will finally put to bed the whole I stayed an extra year for the fans tosh.

I keep reading about this clause of the contract that guarantees him £16M within 24 hours if he's sacked. If it's true, it's sickening.

How could someone profess to love the club etc if they insisted on such a thing?

(If indeed it is true, of course).

I keep reading about this clause of the contract that guarantees him £16M within 24 hours if he's sacked.

I wonder who divulged that info to the press. Not Rafa - "now gentlemen, turn off your microphones. I have something to say" - Benitez surely?

Guest TK-421

I don't really understand this concept of the fans winning Rafa a new contract. He was offered a contract based on his performance as manager up until that point, which was very good. He got offered market terms.

Having said that, if his pay-off clause is excessive I feel he owes a duty to the club to reach an amicable and reasonable compromise, if there is to be a parting of the ways. It would be best for all concerned to draw a line under it.