You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car insurance gobshites

I've just had my renewal through for my car insurance and I have just nearly fallen right off my perch.

It went up slightly when I moved house, as the area I have moved to is a bit rougher (statistically anyway) but it has gone up from £998 to £1500. I absolutely cannot fathom out why and how they can consider justifying this.

If I add my dad as a named driver, it brings it down to £1100. I just can't understand where they're coming from. I'm 26 in August, I drive a 1.6 Focus, not a Lotus and I live in St Helens, not Tikrit.

Has anyone else been bummed by their car insurance company recently, or are they playing silly fuckers with me because it's my first ever renewal?

Something odd is going on here. All the prices are coming up the same. I have 1 year no claims as well. If I add my dad it puts the price right down. I've not hit anything, nor has anything hit me (touch wood) and I appreciate I don't exactly live in Lytham, God's waiting room, but I don't live in Beirut either.

What a gang of cunts. I'll have to add my dad, but it shouldn't come to that.

Yeah all my prices went up, I'd been paying £500-odd a year and all my renewal quotes were coming in at least 900, ended up getting it down to about £550 in the end but only because I paid it in one go, think that was Elephant. I got laughed at - literally - when I asked a few of them if they'd go any lower.

This no doubt has something to do with Alan Greenspan.

Something odd is going on here. All the prices are coming up the same. I have 1 year no claims as well. If I add my dad it puts the price right down. I've not hit anything, nor has anything hit me (touch wood) and I appreciate I don't exactly live in Lytham, God's waiting room, but I don't live in Beirut either.

*sniggers*

If Tesco are shit, then ignore Direct Line and Churchill (among the leading names) as they have the same underwriter.

If you work in the civil services, try Liverpool Victoria.

Sad but true. You get a substantial discount when you first join an insurer. They then hammer you at renewal time.

Consider adding named drivers (ie parents) as you can save money, as indeed you've seen. Even if they won't use your car. Remember to remove them from your policy if they've had a claim on their own insurance, or got points on their licence.

Get married. This gets you a substantial saving. You just get the pain elsewhere.

Don't add insurers' breakdown cover, as you'll get a much superior package direct from AA, RAC or Green Flag.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

i find the firm at the top of the list on a comparison site is best..

3rd party only

no windscreen

no breakdown

no legal cover

no driving abroad..

I mean you just want to be legal......and drive a bit careful

No problems....touch wood but thats what i've always done

Funnily enough, I actually renewed mine yesterday.

I was expecting the worst because I had a crash on Edge Lane back earlier this year and the beaut was giving it the whole whiplash lark, even though he was badly contradicting himself in what he was saying to me after it, but in fairness, it wasn't too bad. Only £500 odd quid, when I was expecting to be royally bum raped by them without lube.

I got hit for £320 this year when I renewed mine. OK, might not sound much compared to the OP's quote but that's to insure a 12 year old 1.2L Fiat Punto, it's only worth £500 tops. I've also got all the excesses maxed out, no legal, no breakdown, no fuck all. I'm 38 years old and have been driving for eleven years. The best bit is that the quote takes account of my ELEVEN YEARS no claims discount.

I got hit for £320 this year when I renewed mine. OK, might not sound much compared to the OP's quote but that's to insure a 12 year old 1.2L Fiat Punto, it's only worth £500 tops. I've also got all the excesses maxed out, no legal, no breakdown, no fuck all. I'm 38 years old and have been driving for eleven years. The best bit is that the quote takes account of my ELEVEN YEARS no claims discount.

Get married. This gets you a substantial saving. You just get the pain elsewhere.

Here is you're answer, i'm now fully divorced and available 2 weeks on sarturday if it helps?

Going to swim against the general tide of this thread and say that car insurance is one of the few things that you will buy with reasonable confidence that you are getting a good deal, if you can be bothered.

There are hundreds of different insurers with new entrants coming in a market that is close to perfect competition. Shopping around is easy if you want to. Some lower end companies do offer big discounts for new policies in the hope that inertia kicks in at next renewal. Its simply an annual contract so move it.

Here is you're answer, i'm now fully divorced and available 2 weeks on sarturday if it helps?

I'll actually be at a wedding two weeks on Saturday - it must be written in the stars. Tell you what, I'll bung the vicar a score and see if he'll just run through the service twice. If you don't want to make it a purely financial arrangement I could probably go halves on a Travelodge for the night as well, do it in style.

I'll actually be at a wedding two weeks on Saturday - it must be written in the stars. Tell you what, I'll bung the vicar a score and see if he'll just run through the service twice. If you don't want to make it a purely financial arrangement I could probably go halves on a Travelodge for the night as well, do it in style.

Pah, i'm offering to save you a fair bit on your insurance and you only willing for halves on the travelodge?

Deal.

Try Adrian Flux.

I use swiftcover and mine is £185 fully comp on a 1.9 406 estate. Mind you I live in one of the quietest parts of the country, the missus is the main driver, I have full no claims and I'm 36.

Bike insurance is £97 fully comp on a 750.

I love living down here.