Quantcast
Liverpool 3 West Ham 0 - Prem (Apr 19 2010) - 1st team 2009-2010 - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TLW

Liverpool 3 West Ham 0 - Prem (Apr 19 2010)

LIVERPOOL 3 West Ham 0

Report by Dave Usher at Anfield

dave.jpg

westhamreport2.jpg

Scorer(s) – Yossi Benayoun, David Ngog, Robert Green O.G.

Half Time - 2-0

Venue - Anfield

Date - Mon 19 April 2010

Star Man – Maxi Rodriguez

Goals from Benayoun, Ngog and a Robert Green oggy ensured that West Ham's mini-revival came to a grinding halt at Anfield last night, as the reds made short work of Gianfranco Zola's side and showed that they can score goals even without Fernando Torres. Whether they can do it against sterner opposition than the hapless Hammers is something we'll find out in the weeks ahead, but this was pretty comfortable from the moment we went in front.

West Ham had started the game with a spring in their step, they were trying to attack and saw plenty of the ball in our half. Pepe was untested though aside from one Carlton Cole snapshot from a tight angle. At the back West Ham were all over the place, especially whenever any kind of cross came in.

We took the lead when Gerrard whipped in a free kick and Yossi diverted it in via his chest and the post. The second goal came from another cross, Maxi picking out Ngog, who made good contact with it to beat Robert Green. The keeper needs to look at himself there though, as there's no way a shot like that is beating Reina for instance.

Robert Green is no Pepe Reina though, but then who is? Even in this game when we were cruising and very comfortable, Reina still made an important contribution. Early in the 2nd half the Hammers sliced through our defence and Cole went through. He couldn't beat Pepe though, and we ended up running out comfortable 3-0 winners. If Pepe doesn't make that save, who knows what happens? He made it look easy too, he's just fucking class.

The third goal came from another Gerrard free-kick. The Greek got a toe on it, the ball hit the post before hitting Green's shin and going in. Another scrappy goal, but it was a scrappy performance and for long spells it was dull as fuck. West Ham were absolutely abysmal.

The Kop entertained themselves for a long period in the 2nd half by airing their new Maxi Rodriguez song. There wasnt really much else to get excited about, and the song took off quite well.

I couldn't be arsed with this game at all if I'm honest, I don't think I've been less interested in a game since the final throws of Houllier's tenure. The most worked up I got was when Rafa decided to send on Mascherano for Gerrard. Erm, Aquilani????? 3-0 up against shite opposition, and yet Rafa puts on a defensive midfielder and risks him picking up an injury ahead of the Atletico game. I'd love to know what he was thinking, because for the life of me I can't think of a single reason why you wouldn't put the Italian on in that situation.

It got worse for Alberto, he then had to suffer the indignity of Philip fucking Degen being introduced ahead of him. Had he been replacing Glen Johnson it wouldn't have been an issue, it would have made perfect sense, but he came on for Benayoun. Aquilani, El Zhar and Babel were all warming up at that point and yet we got Degen? Yeah, we won 3-0 so it hardly matters, but still, it was fucking bizarre and irritating.

I'm not El Zhar's biggest fan by a long way, but at least when he comes on he lifts the tempo of a game and things tend to happen. Instead of bringing him on in pressure situations when we're desperate for a goal, why not let him have a run around in a more relaxed atmosphere with the game won, and let him enjoy himself and gain some experience?

I mean come on, what's Degen going to do, apart from regularly get knocked over? Babel eventually got on for Ngog, but Aquilani must seriously be pining for home right now, with Roma flying and looking like they may win Serie A, whilst he is Anfield's forgotten man. I feel sorry for him.

When the Degen substitution was made, El Zhar looked at Aquilani and muttered something. The Italian just gave a wry smile and shrugged. I doubt he's even surprised by it anymore, and I don't know why I am.

In between the long quiet spells we played some half decent stuff at times, and when we did Maxi was usually involved. He came close to scoring in the 2nd half, and his first goal will surely arrive soon as he's going close almost every game now. I thought he was the star man in this game, but he didn't have too much competition in truth.

Carragher and the Greek both played well, Agger was ok and Johnson did some good things. Everyone else was a bit subdued I thought. Ngog wasn't bad and took his goal well, but he gave the ball away a lot. In fairness, so does Torres. Kuyt was alright, but Yossi was hit and miss (as he has been for most of the season) Gerrard was quiet and Lucas was sloppy at times. He did get stuck in and win the ball back quite a lot though.

The win was important as it keeps Everton at bay for another week and edged us above Villa again (they have a game in hand though). If City and Spurs both lose at the weekend, there will be a slight glimmer of hope again, but we'll have to win every game to stand even the slightest chance. One of those games of course is Chelsea, and if we win that one we're probably handing the title to the mancs. That would be the bluebottle on the top of the shit sandwich that has been this season.

Team: Reina; Johnson, Carragher, Kyrgiakos, Agger; Lucas, Gerrard (Mascherano); Maxi, Kuyt, Benayoun (Degen); Ngog (Babel):

Spot on about El Zhar, he needs a chance to show what he has because at the moment I can't see room for him in the 25 man squad next year

I know the Aquilani situation is beyond a joke now, the substitution of Gerrard for Masch made not even a grain of sense.

Absolutely shocking and it has slowly but surely made me realize that Rafa has to go, he has lost the plot.

Sign in to follow this