You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Instant cunt identifiers

Remmie

A food bank featured in the Bafta award-winning film 'I, Daniel Blake' has been forced to close due to a vandal attack.

Church of the Venerable Bede in West Road, Benwell, has closed after a fire extinguisher was used to smash its windows and damage the main hall.

Food bank manager Michael Nixon said about 100 people collect their food allowance from the site each day.

Director Ken Loach filmed scenes at the site with volunteers playing extras.

The film was shot in 2016 and tells the story of Daniel Blake who ends up being plunged into poverty and losing his disability allowance after being diagnosed with heart problem.

The church-based food bank has been running since 2013

Mr Nixon said nothing was taken during the "mindless" attack but the damage is extensive.

"I don't think it was an act against the food bank and the work we do, its just mindless vandalism that stops us doing the work we do," he said.

"We had a break-in last week with less damage done and some money was taken from a cupboard so they may have come back hoping there was going to be [more cash].

"We are just seeing what repairs need to be done so we can get open, so if anyone out there could donate a glazier for free they would be very welcome."

I, Daniel Blake won the prestigious Palme d'Or at Cannes and also the Bafta for Best British film.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-40634012

A food bank featured in the Bafta award-winning film 'I, Daniel Blake' has been forced to close due to a vandal attack.

Church of the Venerable Bede in West Road, Benwell, has closed after a fire extinguisher was used to smash its windows and damage the main hall.

Food bank manager Michael Nixon said about 100 people collect their food allowance from the site each day.

Director Ken Loach filmed scenes at the site with volunteers playing extras.

The film was shot in 2016 and tells the story of Daniel Blake who ends up being plunged into poverty and losing his disability allowance after being diagnosed with heart problem.

The church-based food bank has been running since 2013

Mr Nixon said nothing was taken during the "mindless" attack but the damage is extensive.

"I don't think it was an act against the food bank and the work we do, its just mindless vandalism that stops us doing the work we do," he said.

"We had a break-in last week with less damage done and some money was taken from a cupboard so they may have come back hoping there was going to be [more cash].

"We are just seeing what repairs need to be done so we can get open, so if anyone out there could donate a glazier for free they would be very welcome."

I, Daniel Blake won the prestigious Palme d'Or at Cannes and also the Bafta for Best British film.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-40634012

You'd think Theresa May would have more important things to do.

• Upvote 1

Pretentious 'artists' and the sort of people who like pretentious 'art' such as a light switch being turned on and off in an empty room. Or this sort of thing, if the numerous quotes are anything to go by:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27798250

And the latest load of bollocks being paraded as 'art' - saliva portraits. The guy who wrote the article, Will Gompertz, is a pretentious knobhead too. He appears on News 24 every now and then, and looks like an egg in a nest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40732772

Spitting image: Can drool be art?

Justine Varga's portrait of her grandmother has caused controversy after winning the Olive Cotton Award - Australia's top portrait prize worth A$20,000 (£12,000). The portrait, called Maternal Line, contains no face - and the artist used her grandmother's pen scrawls and streaks of her saliva to create the work. But is it art?

Jackson Pollock made scrawly abstract drip paintings; 70 years later Justine Varga has made a scrawly abstract dribble painting. That's progress for you.

People complained about his work back in the 1940s, and people are complaining about hers now. So it goes.

Personally, I couldn't care less if she uses spit or sawdust to make her pictures (Warhol made images using urine), just as long as they are good.

It's a little unfair of me to judge a large photographic portrait from afar, on a small computer screen splattered (non-artistically) in cooking fat, but I can see it is not rubbish.

There's a touch of Twombly about granny's scribbles, and the way in which the green-grey rectangle appears to hover over the mauve background has a Rothko-like feel.

Can I detect a pair of cartoonish eyes in the top right-hand corner, or am I seeing things?

Whatever, I can't unsee them now - or the gnarly fingers just to their side, nor the translucent, ghostly figure looming below. Granny is beginning to give me the heebie-jeebies.

I'm being too literal.

Varga's idea here was to create an inner portrait, so it doesn't matter what granny actually looks like, this is about what she is like.

I'm guessing from the combination of colours, texts, and overall composition that she is an unstuffy, unconventional lady, possibly prone irreverence, and - on occasion - spiritual.

I think the image has an ethereal quality. We are definitely not in "my five year-old could've done that" territory here.

This is a picture made by someone who knows what she is doing, with the gumption to take a different view of a ubiquitous genre.

I like it.

And the work in question:

_97083698_mediaitem97083697.jpg

When I was on honeymoon in Venice 6 years ago, the biennial was on. The works were all a bit shit. The highlight for me was an egg on a table.

I dream of having the creative vision and the mastery of technique to put an egg on a table.

That's basically breakfast Saturday morning in our house when I've been on the lash. Where's my camera ?

And the latest load of bollocks being paraded as 'art' - saliva portraits. The guy who wrote the article, Will Gompertz, is a pretentious knobhead too. He appears on News 24 every now and then, and looks like an egg in a nest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40732772

And the work in question:

_97083698_mediaitem97083697.jpg

So Varga is 5 years old then? Impressive for a 5 year old.

As-the-crow-flies jogging cunts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-40860045/putney-bridge-cctv-of-jogger-pushing-woman-in-front-of-bus

Putney Bridge: CCTV of jogger 'pushing' woman in front of bus

A woman has escaped serious injury after appearing to be pushed by a jogger into the path of a bus.

CCTV of the incident shows a man running along Putney Bridge in west London and appearing to shove the 33-year-old into the road.

The oncoming bus is forced to swerve into the adjacent lane to avoid hitting her.

Sgt Mat Knowles said: "It was only due to the superb quick reactions of the bus driver that she was not hit by the vehicle."

The Metropolitan Police said the bus stopped and passengers tended to the woman - who received minor injuries - following the incident on the morning of 5 May.

Officers said the jogger ran the other way across the bridge around 15 minutes later and the victim attempted to speak to him, but "he did not acknowledge her".

He could easily have avoided her, and that last line shows just how much he couldn't give a shit.