You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which individual opponent has given us the most trouble?

AussieRed

The best individual display I've ever seen against us was Anthony Gardner for Spurs at White Hart Lane in the 03/04 season when we got beat 2-1. The lad was unreal that day.

In all seriousness, it's up there with some of the best defensive displays I've ever seen.

Mark Hughes used to always play well against us.

Just beat me to it!

And Andy Cole.

But the Binman was sensational against us throughout the 80's and in the early 90's. Around the same time Hinchcliffe used to get an assist with every corner he used to take.

Adebayor is starting to be a pain in the arse.

This season Loris for Lyon has been outstanding, and in 3 out of 4 games against us that dirty bastard Luisao has been briliant.

Used to be Henry, but since he started to slow down a bit it has unquestionably been Drogba.

Back in the day, some really shit players always used to give us problems. People like Robert Fleck, Gary Crosby, and I'm sure there's another one from the 80's who's name will come to later on.

Graeme Sharp - always seemed to score.

Duncan Ferguson - he only ever seemed fit to play against us, and he always gave us a torrid time.

Matt Elliott - immense when we couldn't buy a win against O'Neill's Leicester side.

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer - boyhood Liverpool fan who was a bit like Arshavin in his goals-to-shot ratio against us. Mind you, he was like that against everybody.

Tino Asprilla - fantastic in both Anfield games, again with an Arshavin-like strike rate. So unpredictable we could never second-guess him.

Dion Dublin - fucked up many an Anfield fixture, particularly in 1996/97.

Used to be Henry, but since he started to slow down a bit it has unquestionably been Drogba.

Back in the day, some really shit players always used to give us problems. People like Robert Fleck, Gary Crosby, and I'm sure there's another one from the 80's who's name will come to later on.

That blonde haired Norwich cunt who scored last day of the old Kop.

Simao.

What a little fucking jinx he's been. Don't think he's been on a losing side against us. I can recall him playing for Benfica when they pumped us home and away in the Big cup. And 3 games against Atletico Madrid in the last few years where we failed to win.

Is he still at Madrid? *shudder*

The best individual display I've ever seen against us was Anthony Gardner for Spurs at White Hart Lane in the 03/04 season when we got beat 2-1. The lad was unreal that day.

In all seriousness, it's up there with some of the best defensive displays I've ever seen.

Mark Schwarzer is another one who always seems to do that to us - he's a good keeper in his own right but when he turns out against us he becomes unbeleivable!

Nigel Jemson, that's who I was thinking of. Little fat lad at Forest, used to always play well against us.

I think it was his his goal in 90/91 that officially eneded our last reign as league champions. We certainly lost at Forest to give Arsenal the league.

Ian Dowie is another one, as is Andy Johnson.

Drogba. The only time I've ever seen us comfortably deal with that shithouse snidey cunt was in the second leg CL semi 06 when Agger recovered from a nightmare first leg to contain the disgwaceful excuse for a human being.

Henry always used to give Carragher and co the runaround, but then again there's not really much shame there since he managed to do that to everybody.

In terms of one-offs, Ze Roberto in 02 was exceptional and that lad Contra in the UEFA cup final in 01 had a good one, I always remember seeing Carragher get turned inside out by him.

Flavour of the month in terms of loving playing against us is Arshavin of course, with that fucking irritating finger-to-lips celebration.

Definitely Drogba. Always seems to have a blinder against us more often than not. Scored twice in the semi final second leg in 07/08, turned the game in the second half in the 4-4 last season, scored a worldy left foot half volley on the turn in 06/07 and absolutely ran riot when they beat us 4-1 that time (i think he set up 3 goals and turned sami inside out).