You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election

JER

Who will you vote for (if at all?)  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you vote for (if at all?)

• Labour
    • Tories
    • Lib Dems

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm an extremist because I want us to have stricter control of immigration?

Erm, no. Nothing to do with your hideous views on immigration.

Perhaps to you uber liberals that makes me an extremist.

No, you're an extremist on any sensible moderate scale.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What gets me is that, once again, nobody appears to even want my vote!

Nobody has called at our house, I’m not aware of any campaigning locally, other than the odd poster in someone’s window, and I genuinely do not have a clue who our local candidates even are.

When I was young there seemed to be a lot more proactivity from politicians and wannabe politicians. There was hardly a month went by without somebody knocking on your door to tell you what they stood for. It may just be here in Leeds, but that just doesn’t happen any more.

In a way, I imagine the big parties like it this way though, as apathy means less people vote and just a couple of million votes from a hard-core section of support can win you an election.

The less people who vote, the easier it is to get a foothold of that select demographic.

they didn't last time round. I remember making an almost identical post a few days before the last general election.

If someone gets off their arse to actually engage me and have a conversation with me then they can have my vote. That hasn't happened in the last 3 elections I've been eligible to vote in.

As for Immigration, there’s a bizarre and ridiculous situation in this country where to discuss it is almost taboo and you can be deemed racist in some way for wanting some control on it.

I’m a million miles from being a racist, and I 100% support those who need to seek asylum here.

However, we live on an already over-crowded and service stretched island, so there simply HAS to be controls in place to limit numbers. That’s just common sense and I can fully understand why many people look to parties who are willing to discuss those things.

My main gripe with the situation of those seeking asylum is the ludicrous situation many of them find themselves in whereby they are refused the right to earn a living whilst waiting for their asylum status to be decided upon.

It’s a fucking joke, and it degrades and insults these poor people who are more than happy to work for a living.

You have often very well qualified people who have come here seeking a better life, who are more than willing to contribute and support themselves and their families, but they aren’t allowed to until their status is confirmed. You get this situation ongoing, sometime for years and years, stuck in this ridiculous limbo woith no home and no means by which to acquire one.

Meanwhile, instead of them contributing through taxes, the taxpayer is footing the bill for them to be here, and they’re often working illegally and bypassing the government coffers.

It’s an absolute fucking joke and one of the most nonsensical situations I could ever imagine in a so-called civilised society. If a party had some good policies on that then I’d be willing to listen.

I agree Tom - I get a leaflet through my door once every 6-9 months and that's your lot. I'd probably welcome any would be campaigner in for a chocolate hob nob and a chat. If it wasn't for the fact I lived in this ward for 21 years of my 25, I wouldn't know who is who, who does what and where you vote.

That's the worst argument of all time and usually the one trumpeted by those who have no sensible policy towards immigration. Those of us who were born and raised here are not immigrants.

So who you kicking out 1st then?

Can I have a free ticket with the rest of them because i'd love to leave.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'd probably welcome any would be campaigner in for a chocolate hob nob and a chat. .

I'll be round in a bit. I'd do anything for a hob-nob, including pretending to be a local politician.

I do think the Libs deserve a chance to have a go. The other two are both morally bankrupt in my eyes.

I had as a small business man considered the Tories but as much as I think they may well look after my interests I cannot abide Osbourne. The chinless tosser.

If the Libs get a shout I hope then can actually do something to change UK pollitics

You're in an area of the world where the Tories come fourth surely? If you don't want Labour then the LibDems would seem to be it. (Unless Alex Salmond is suddenly a champion of small businesses?!)

and not just make quotas for the number of lesbian disabled muslims I must employ.

But you can send them on free Fork-Lift truck driving courses at your local Chamber

What gets me is that, once again, nobody appears to even want my vote!

Nobody has called at our house, I’m not aware of any campaigning locally, other than the odd poster in someone’s window, and I genuinely do not have a clue who our local candidates even are.

When I was young there seemed to be a lot more proactivity from politicians and wannabe politicians. There was hardly a month went by without somebody knocking on your door to tell you what they stood for. It may just be here in Leeds, but that just doesn’t happen any more.

Tom, nobody is involved in politics any more. Parties frequently just don't have the personnel or the finance to canvass anyone. Memberships of political parties have dropped by between a quarter and a half over the last decade alone.

If I take Wallasey as an example, as that's where I live - I would love to be able to run a proper campaign here, but it's not feasible. We have around 50 members in our local branch, less than a fifth of whom are active. This is for a constituency of 43,000 households. It just can't be done. We are having enough trouble raising the £900 or so for the free Post Office-delivered election mailshot, on top of the £500 for the election deposit. None of us are wealthy, and we have our own jobs and lives to get on with too.

Labour and Tories are a bit better off as they have vested interests to pump them with money (unions and big business respectively) but, still, they have real trouble with numbers in many areas. I dread to think what it's like for the minor parties.

they didn't last time round. I remember making an almost identical post a few days before the last general election.

If someone gets off their arse to actually engage me and have a conversation with me then they can have my vote. That hasn't happened in the last 3 elections I've been eligible to vote in.

As for Immigration, there’s a bizarre and ridiculous situation in this country where to discuss it is almost taboo and you can be deemed racist in some way for wanting some control on it.

I’m a million miles from being a racist, and I 100% support those who need to seek asylum here.

However, we live on an already over-crowded and service stretched island, so there simply HAS to be controls in place to limit numbers. That’s just common sense and I can fully understand why many people look to parties who are willing to discuss those things.

My main gripe with the situation of those seeking asylum is the ludicrous situation many of them find themselves in whereby they are refused the right to earn a living whilst waiting for their asylum status to be decided upon.

It’s a fucking joke, and it degrades and insults these poor people who are more than happy to work for a living.

You have often very well qualified people who have come here seeking a better life, who are more than willing to contribute and support themselves and their families, but they aren’t allowed to until their status is confirmed. You get this situation ongoing, sometime for years and years, stuck in this ridiculous limbo woith no home and no means by which to acquire one.

Meanwhile, instead of them contributing through taxes, the taxpayer is footing the bill for them to be here, and they’re often working illegally and bypassing the government coffers.

It’s an absolute fucking joke and one of the most nonsensical situations I could ever imagine in a so-called civilised society. If a party had some good policies on that then I’d be willing to listen.

I agree. I guess this too makes you an "extremist".

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I agree. I guess this too makes you an "extremist".

You obviously missed my post where I said that it has ''Nothing to do with your hideous views on immigration''. You are most certainly an extremist, though.

When I say 'missed', I mean 'deliberately ignored'.

I completely agree with you.

Lib Dem policy since at least 2004 has been that asylum-seekers should be allowed to work while they wait for their asylum claims to be decided on. Clegg himself reiterated it in 2008.

You obviously missed my post where I said that it has ''Nothing to do with your hideous views on immigration''. You are most certainly an extremist, though.

When I say 'missed', I mean 'deliberately ignored'.

Frankly, I don't even know what you mean by "extremist". Extremist in what sense? I would say I am no more 'extreme' than the average Tory voter. I'm hardly a fascist.

Coming away from asylum seekers, what are Lib Dem's policies on controlling/limiting numbers from general immigration - point systems and that sort of thing, SD?

I am not well versed on immigration policy, I do recall that we (apparently) recognise that different regions have different needs, so there would be regional differences in immigration policy eg tougher in the crowded south, laxer in the north east. I do remember not being hugely impressed by the policy, it is a little rough around the edges.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Extremist in what sense?

In the sense that you advocate violence to be used in the way you've suggest on this forum - often as a solution to violence.

I would say I am no more 'extreme' than the average Tory voter.

The average Conservative voter doesn't, in general, accept vigilante vengeance as a substitute for due process. Nor due they advocate the use of firing squads as a solution for savage violence.

I'm hardly a fascist.

Well, I'm going to invoke Godwin's law here. It won't end up pretty if we go down that route.

I am not well versed on immigration policy, I do recall that we (apparently) recognise that different regions have different needs, so there would be regional differences in immigration policy eg tougher in the crowded south, laxer in the north east. I do remember not being hugely impressed by the policy, it is a little rough around the edges.

Other than the media driven hyperbole, and those that take notice of these things, immigration isn't really such a huge problem, especially in the grand scheme of things. The Lib Dems are, in my opinion, right to focus on more important issues. I'd suggest that is the reason why they don't have a more polished policy.

You're in an area of the world where the Tories come fourth surely? If you don't want Labour then the LibDems would seem to be it. (Unless Alex Salmond is suddenly a champion of small businesses?!)

But you can send them on free Fork-Lift truck driving courses at your local Chamber

Snp is irrelevant in Westminister. Pretty much a gang of twats up here as well. It has to be Lib dem for me.

In the sense that you advocate violence to be used in the way you've suggest on this forum - often as a solution to violence.

The average Conservative voter doesn't, in general, accept vigilante vengeance as a substitute for due process.

I stand by my belief that a man has the right to take any action necessary to protect himself and his family when his home has been invaded.

Nor due they advocate the use of firing squads as a solution for savage violence.

There are civilised countries that still employ the death penalty. There is nothing wrong with capital punishment.

Other than the media driven hyperbole, and those that take notice of these things, immigration isn't really such a huge problem, especially in the grand scheme of things. The Lib Dems are, in my opinion, right to focus on more important issues. I'd suggest that is the reason why they don't have a more polished policy.

It IS a huge problem. Try living some place that has been utterly awash with immigrants this past decade, and then you might have a better idea of the problem.