You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What do you think of the new single?.Seriously now.

I honestly like it mate. I love the melancholy feel to it because I think the sadness is genuine, I have a theory that Bowie is genuinely struggling with being old and therefore the record is authentic and not forced if you like. I'm disappointed he's returned if I'm honest, I thought he'd reconciled himself with old age, I think he might still be fighting demons. Could be way off of course, what the fuck do I know.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly like it mate. I love the melancholy feel to it because I think the sadness is genuine, I have a theory that Bowie is genuinely struggling with being old and therefore the record is authentic and not forced if you like. I'm disappointed he's returned if I'm honest, I thought he'd reconciled himself with old age, I think he might still be fighting demons. Could be way off of course, what the fuck do I know.

I think he sounds ill on it.

I would never accuse him of not being genuine,ever.

He has always,Lets dance aside perhaps,essentially avoided pandering to the masses.His problem,if it is a problem is that he is not happy just to regurgitate his back catalogue like some of his contempories.

What I dont think he understands,and most likely never will, is that there is a finite period of productive,meaningful songwriting for any artist.

For selfish reasons I would love him to tour every other year singing his greatest hits.Never going to happen,perhaps for the best.

I think he sounds ill on it.

I would never accuse him of not being genuine,ever.

He has always,Lets dance aside perhaps,essentially avoided pandering to the masses.His problem,if it is a problem is that he is not happy just to regurgitate his back catalogue like some of his contempories.

What I dont think he understands,and most likely never will, is that there is a finite period of productive,meaningful songwriting for any artist.

For selfish reasons I would love him to tour every other year singing his greatest hits.Never going to happen,perhaps for the best.

I like your take on him, you're clearly a fan. I'm not sure I agree with you when you doubt his grasp of the finite songwriting process, in fact I'm not sure that's an exact science anyway, Nick Cave being a case in point. Like I say, I'm disappointed Bowie has chosen to work again for reasons I've already stated, but I'm still intrigued, and even excited, to see what the new album might bring.

I like your take on him, you're clearly a fan. I'm not sure I agree with you when you doubt his grasp of the finite songwriting process, in fact I'm not sure that's an exact science anyway, Nick Cave being a case in point. Like I say, I'm disappointed Bowie has chosen to work again for reasons I've already stated, but I'm still intrigued, and even excited, to see what the new album might bring.

I have just played his new track to my Mrs of over 20 years who has never been a Bowie fan and she likes it.What the fuck do I know!!.

I seriously hope he decides to tour this year.

Jean Genie is supposedly about Iggy .

I am not claiming by any means that he took Iggy and Lou to Berlin to get off drugs . He did drag them into the studio and got great albums out of them there though .

Berlin was indeed well known for scag . Nick Cave moved there for the same scene .

I never knew that about Jean Genie thanks for that.

As you can guess I am not a massive Bowie fan although one of my favourite albums of all time is Hunky Dory.

Apparently Ziggy was based roughly on Vince Taylor I have found out.

Talking about Ziggy I have to admit to liking the Bauhaus version of that song better.

Although again not really being a massive fan of his I think five years off that album is genius.

Brain Molko done a imprompt performance of that on some obscure French show.

[YOUTUBE]oCkMX721SsQ[/YOUTUBE]

I never knew that about Jean Genie thanks for that.

As you can guess I am not a massive Bowie fan although one of my favourite albums of all time is Hunky Dory.

Apparently Ziggy was based roughly on Vince Taylor I have found out.

Talking about Ziggy I have to admit to liking the Bauhaus of that song better.

Although again not really being a massive fan of his I think five years off that album is genius.

Brain Molko done a imprompt performance of that on some obscure French show.

[YOUTUBE]oCkMX721SsQ[/YOUTUBE]

Was your mouth out with carbolic soap young man.Good cover version but Fucking hell.

The Man Who Sold The World, is not only Bowie genius, it's Mick Ronson genius as well - the 'metal' quality to the album, just about pre-dates metal as a genre, although Black Sabbath recorded their debut album six months previously, from memory. There's also elements of Progressive rock on the album, and , obviously, some of the best rock lyrics you'll ever hear.

What a brilliant way to return in this age of twitter and leaks and nothing ever being a surprise though. Bang! Wake up to a new Bowie single with an album due out in two months. That's the way to do it.

Interestingly, Visconti has said that single aside it's very much a rock album.

I have just played his new track to my Mrs of over 20 years who has never been a Bowie fan and she likes it.What the fuck do I know!!.

I seriously hope he decides to tour this year.

He wont tour and as for Glastonbury not a hope in hell.

He was asked to play at the olympic opening ceremony and turned that down.

The only chance he might play live ever again imo would be him playing a extremely small venue with either no advertising of it or at best a couple of hours notice.

Still quite shocked that he is back. Never thought he'd come back and make another album. My dad is a huge fan and he lost hope as well. It was only a couple of months ago that I went to see a Bowie tribute act and I thought that was the 'closest' I'd get to hearing some Bowie songs live. I now have a bit more hope.

As for the new song, I heard it early tuesday morning and immediately I thought that is an album track. I can imagine it to sound brilliant on an album, but as a lead single, it's not great. The song itself is good, though. I like the lyrics and the way it slowly picks up a bit towards the end.

People are saying he sounds old, weak, ill etc... Personally, I think it sounds like Bowie just slightly older without proper training on his vocals. It's not a hard song to sing, but he's not done an album since 2003 and last played live properly in 2004 apart from the odd appearance. I think it's going to be a decent album still.

Heathen and Reality were fantastic albums. Heathen had some of Bowies best work in my opinion. Slow Burn, Slip Away, Everyone Says Hi, 5:15 Angels Have Gone and a few others are brilliant songs.

Tony Visconti (Producer) has promised fans that rock songs will be on the album and he himself was shocked that Bowie chose this to be a lead single.

Also, Earl Slick has said he wants Bowie to tour. He's told him that he has kept his schedule free incase he wants to tour so don't give up if you plan to see him. I doubt it will be a full world tour. Or even a big tour, but a few small shows here and there will be epic and it will be so good to see Bowie back on stage.

The Man Who Sold The World, is not only Bowie genius, it's Mick Ronson genius as well

He chose his associates well didn't he?

Ronson, Visconti, Alomar, Eno and Garson all served him well. But his dalliances with Bolan, Rick Wakeman,Luther van dross , Lou Reed, Mott,and Iggy also offered their moments.

He chose his associates well didn't he?

Ronson, Visconti, Alomar, Eno and Garson all served him well. But his dalliances with Bolan, Rick Wakeman,Luther van dross , Lou Reed, Mott,and Iggy also offered their moments.

Rick Wakeman was popping up on everybodys albums in them days.

He and also fellow yes member Steve Howe played on Lou Reeds debut album and he Played on Elton Johns fourth album.

He played with Bolan and Cat Stevens and also on Sabbaths Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album.

I am keen to get more into Bowie than what I know at the moment. Which is basically his well known hits like Space Oddity, Jean Genie, China Girl etc.

Where would be the best place to start?

I have always been intrigued by Bowie but never got serious enough to sit down and really listen to him. However seeing the discussion on here ia prompting to get right on it.

I am still to hear the single. Heard people say it's shit, for which I don:t believe it will be when I hear it.

I am keen to get more into Bowie than what I know at the moment. Which is basically his well known hits like Space Oddity, Jean Genie, China Girl etc.

I have always been intrigued by Bowie but never got serious enough to sit down and really listen to him. However seeing the discussion on here ia prompting to get right on it.

I am still to hear the single. Heard people say it's shit, for which I don:t believe it will be when I hear it.

I have to say, for most of my life, I've avoided Bowie for no good reason. I like to think I have a broad taste in music... and have given many a listen to artists I didn't like (to 'force myself' into understanding their appeal), but I still have to give Bowie a chance.

Of course, I've heard lots of him, but never really set out to listen to a number of albums properly.

I think it's about time I gave him a proper listening to.

Hunky Dory's my favourite album, piano based mostly and lovely and weird. Zingy Stardust is glammed up beauty. Low and Heroes are more spacious, Diamond Dogs is... Well a case can be made for all of them up to 1980 or so when I think he lost his mojo a bit.

Hunky Dory's my favourite album, piano based mostly and lovely and weird. Zingy Stardust is glammed up beauty. Low and Heroes are more spacious, Diamond Dogs is... Well a case can be made for all of them up to 1980 or so when I think he lost his mojo a bit.

The 80's ruined many artists.... I blame MTV.

The necessity to become a video artist overtook the need to make good music, and suddenly, the music was becoming a soundtrack to the all important music video.

If a song wasn't catchy in under 2 minutes, it was never going to be played.

Tragic really.

That said, his 80's stuff wasn't too shabby in the grand scheme.

For me, his purple patch is from Hunky Dory (1971) onwards, album by album until Scary Monsters (1980). There's too much quality there to go the compilation route. Plenty of stuff worth checking out before and after this period, but this string of records pretty much touches perfection.

Hunky Dory

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

Aladdin Sane

Diamond Dogs

Young Americans

Station to Station

Low

Heroes

Lodger

Scary Monsters

For me, his purple patch is from Hunky Dory (1971) onwards, album by album until Scary Monsters (1980). There's too much quality there to go the compilation route. Plenty of stuff worth checking out before and after this period, but this string of records pretty much touches perfection.

Hunky Dory

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

Aladdin Sane

Diamond Dogs

Young Americans

Station to Station

Low

Heroes

Lodger

Scary Monsters

I'd agree with this list. All of them are quality albums. I'd maybe stick The Man Who Sold the World on, but Hunky Dory was my first Bowie album and it is the perfect album to start with if you're wanting to get into Bowie.