You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

I very much doubt it, mate. As I said, Grant took over from the best Chelsea team in history and won fuck all, just like how Ranieri went on football's equivalent of Supermarket Sweep in the summer Abramovich took over and he still managed to win fuck all.

Look at Mark Hughes at Man City, there was no chance of them ever winning the League under him because he's not a good enough manager, just like I'm sceptical they'd ever win the League under Mancini because he seems to struggle in getting to grips with the English game and keeping everybody in the squad happy.

It's not as if money alone is the single biggest reason for a team's success.

Read my post again. It is all relative to others, and if the advantage remains, just a question of time. I pointed out that I was impressed that Mourinho managed it right away, Ranieri couldn't. As far as Grant goes, that was when the advantage was starting to disappear, and he was not given even a full season. Even Grant managed a respectable result, and he is not exactly in anyone's top 30 managers on the planet.

For ManC it will clearly be more difficult, especially if Abramovich decides to dump more money into Chelsea. Arsenal are out of their stadium "hole", ManU a question mark right now but clearly a force to be reckoned with, and given the right circumstances, we might still factor in this (though I don't really see those right circumstances regardless of the manager).

If I had to pick, if we had financial stability and some money I would no doubt want Mourinho but there is a lot of ifs, buts, needs to happens at the moment with that.

Whether we like him or hate him I can actually see Martin O'Neill being extremely likely in all truth. Not saying I want him at all but there does appear to be an attraction to him by clubs.

We are already there and have been for 20 years.

1 European Cup

1 UEFA Cup

3 FA Cups

2 League Cups

Most teams would be well happy with that little haul over a 20 year spell. We'd all like it to be even better but there's no needs to write off what we've achieved in that time. An unprecedented eight managers in a row who have won at least one trophy over a 50 year spell, we really should be proud of ourselves.

1 European Cup

1 UEFA Cup

3 FA Cups

2 League Cups

Most teams would be well happy with that little haul over a 20 year spell. We'd all like it to be even better but there's no needs to write off what we've achieved in that time. An unprecedented eight managers in a row who have won at least one trophy over a 50 year spell, we really should be proud of ourselves.

Absolutely, but 1st is 1st, 2nd is nowhere.......despite claims by Guillem Balague that we are punching above our weight!

I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel at present.

We are stuck in a rut. We are £237M in debt, no new stadium on the horizon and the club is rotten from top to bottom.

Frank Rijkaard for me,has a much more positive outlook on the way his teams should play and the players would have huge respect for him.Not going to cost a bomb to get him

Yep, I agree with this.

Did really well with Barca before the egos in the squad took over.

Right then you are in charge of the club and have Mourinho on the phone what do you say to get him to become the manager.

"Hello Jose?

Hi, how do you fancy a job that most would and have found impossible to fulfill in the recent past?

I support a club that would have little money to spend on new players, that has dysfunctional owners, that has more press focus than any other in world football and which hasn't won a League Title in 20 years.

Now that would put off most ordinary Managers, but as you are "The Special One" why wouldn't you fancy the challenge?

On the plus side we have maybe 5 world class players to start with and several other international class players as well as quite a few excellent prospects in the reserves.

All they need is direction and guidance to succeed.

Something to build on then.

You know, some say you were only special at Porto because you were in a two horse league and got lucky in Europe, that you were only special at Chelsea because of the money and some say you were only special at Inter because you took over an already succesful team.

Well here you'd become immortal should you triumph.

You would also be able to shove it right up Rafa Benitez and alex fergusons arses and naff them both off at the same time, and you would have the support of the most discerning, passionate and loyal fans in world football.

And a brand new stadium in which to demonstrate your prowess and answer all your critics, you might even get the stadium named after you, so, what do you say Jose.

Hmmmm?"

Yep, I agree with this.

Did really well with Barca before the egos in the squad took over.

Rijkaard did a great job at Barcelona. He took over a club that hadn't won the league title since 1999-2000 & won 2 La Liga's, the Champions League & the Supercopa de Espana twice. He also got the best out of Ronaldinho & created a very attractive footballing side.

However, he is struggling at Galatasaray who currently lie 4th in the Turkish league.

One interesting point is that the people who keep saying, 'we can't afford x manager because of how much it would cost to remove Rafa', are the exact same people who were ridiculing those who didn't want him tied down to such a long contract.

Some manager stats from the PL for their current clubs before this weekends round.

Points pr game ratio:

1. Ancelotti 32 22 5 5 - 2,21 points

2. Ferguson 690 445 146 99 - 2,14 points

3. Wenger 518 305 131 82 - 2,01 points

4. Mancini 14 8 3 3 - 1,92 points

5. Benitez 222 124 52 46 - 1,90 points

6. Redknapp 61 31 16 14 - 1,75 points

7. O`Neill 145 57 52 36 - 1,53 points

8. Moyes 307 126 79 102 - 1,48 points

9. Allardyce 53 18 15 20 - 1,30 points

10. Hodgson 87 30 22 35 - 1,28 points

11. McLeish 56 17 18 21 - 1,23 points

12. Pulis 69 21 21 27 - 1,21 points

Bruce is next with 1,09 points in average but I cant bother with the rrest of the list, I wanted to get down to McLeish since he actually is talked about as a candidate.

Then the one many do not want.

Mourinho 120 85 25 10 - 2,33 points

Edited by Code72

1 European Cup

1 UEFA Cup

3 FA Cups

2 League Cups

Compared to Man Utd, thats crap. I really don't see what there is to be proud of.

Some manager stats from the PL for their current clubs before this weekends round.

Points pr game ratio:

1. Ancelotti 32 22 5 5 - 2,21 points

2. Ferguson 690 445 146 99 - 2,14 points

3. Wenger 518 305 131 82 - 2,01 points

4. Mancini 14 8 3 3 - 1,92 points

5. Benitez 222 124 52 46 - 1,90 points

6. Redknapp 61 31 16 14 - 1,75 points

7. O`Neill 145 57 52 36 - 1,53 points

8. Moyes 307 126 79 102 - 1,48 points

9. Allardyce 53 18 15 20 - 1,30 points

10. Hodgson 87 30 22 35 - 1,28 points

11. McLeish 56 17 18 21 - 1,23 points

12. Pulis 69 21 21 27 - 1,21 points

Bruce is next with 1,09 points in average but I cant bother with the rrest of the list, I wanted to get down to McLeish since he actually is talked about as a candidate.

Then the one many do not want.

Mourinho 120 85 25 10 - 2,33 points

McLeish's record at Birmingham City is very good. He may or may not be good enough to be manager of Liverpool, but his acheivements at St Andrews are impressive.

McLeish's record at Birmingham City is very good. He may or may not be good enough to be manager of Liverpool, but his acheivements at St Andrews are impressive.

Are you talking about his home record at Birmingham or his overall achievments now, because overall its not really impressive at all?

Its on the same level to what Neal had at Coventry actually.

Edited by Code72

1 European Cup

1 UEFA Cup

3 FA Cups

2 League Cups

You are correct. But look at the dog's abuse Houllier gets from a large section of Liverpool fans after winning 5 trophies.

I thank benitez for the CL win in 2005 and the FA Cup win in 2006. There were without doubt, up there for excitement with the UEFA Cup win in 2001.

But like Houllier, benitez has lost his way. Football is an 'industry' where results are paramount. Managers survive or lose their jobs based on that.

I dont see any chance whatsoever, that benitez will change his ways. People say he should have a chance to put right the wrongs of this season. To me, he's had the whole of this season to put this right but, we saw yet again on Sunday when Torres was taken off to the bemusement of all the players, not to mention the travelling plans, that he's no longer capable of making the right decision.

No, he has to go.

Are you talking about his home record at Birmingham or his overall achievments now, because overall its not really impressive at all?

Overall for a recently promoted club like Birmingham City it is impressive. What more do you expect from a manager of Birmingham City?

Overall for a recently promoted club like Birmingham City it is impressive. What more do you expect from a manager of Birmingham City?

His overall record for Birmingham is worse than the record to loads and loads of managers of midtable/relegation clubs who have been sacked.

Looking at those manager stats an interesting name pops up high in the table.

Phil Thompson 24 games 17 wins 7 draws 3 losses - 2,04 points average, that puts him nicely in between Ferguson and Wenger.

I would not be opposed to the idea about a Dalglish/Thompson combination again at all, the more I think of it the better it sounds.

Certainly a lot better than some of the candidates mentioned, the likes of McLeish, Hodgson, O`Neill etc, to be honest I would rather have A.Curbishly instead of any of those.

Think my shortlist would be (in order of preference):

Hiddink

Rijkaard

Laudrup

Blanc

Hodgson

I think we could get any of those relatively inexpensively, and I think they would have us playing decent football. Not convinced any of them would be long term choices for us so I would want to retain Kenny as Director of Football if he'll take the job. Ideally I would have him managing us, but I'm not sure if he would want it or not.

Looking at those manager stats an interesting name pops up high in the table.

Phil Thompson 24 games 17 wins 7 draws 3 losses - 2,04 points average.

I would not be opposed to the idea about a Dalglish/Thompson combination again at all, the more I think of it the better it sounds.

Certainly a lot better than some of the candidates mentioned, the likes of McLeish, Hodgson, O`Neill etc, to be honest I would rather have A.Curbishly instead of any of those.

I wouldn't be against Phil Thompson returning to the club in a coaching capacity.

Was Thompson Caretaker Manager for 24 games?

Counting league and champions league as major trophies

1990-2010(20 years)

Man Utd: 11+1

Liverpool: 0+1

Chelsea: 2+0

Arsenal: 4+0

Barcelona: 9+3

Real Madrid: 6+3

Out of all the major clubs, we have been the worst in the past 20 years..thats why we gotta have a manager who believe that we can be the best, not one who thinks that an european cup in 5 years is good..

I think either Mourinho or Laurent Blanc would be good..

Btw, does the owners decide or Purslow and Dalglish decide, on who will be the next manager?

Mourinho who I think is the best manager out there and will be for years ahead, him coming in would give the whole place a lift, whether he will or not is another matter, but you can only ask. If not Mourinho then Kenny.

Think my shortlist would be (in order of preference):

Hiddink

Rijkaard

Laudrup

Blanc

Hodgson

I think we could get any of those relatively inexpensively, and I think they would have us playing decent football. Not convinced any of them would be long term choices for us so I would want to retain Kenny as Director of Football if he'll take the job. Ideally I would have him managing us, but I'm not sure if he would want it or not.

I would have Rijkaard over Hiddink because of both his age and his achievements being within the last five years.

I also think that the Director of Football debate needs revisiting, wouldn't be surprised if people were more receptive to the idea.