You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

The last two summers, we've spent around £20M on individual players who have contributed little on the pitch for a variety of reasons, so getting rid of Benitez for £16M just may well be worth it.

Are all those people who wanted him to have his 5 year contract happy now?

Mourinho, Hitzfeld, Lippi, Dalglish or even Guardiola if there is an outside chance for him leaving Barca would all do a splendid job I guess.

Mourinho obviously wants out of Inter, Hitzfeld and Lippi can/will be availible after the World Cup and Dalglish is already here.

If I should throw an up and coming name into the ring P.Sousa seems interesting to me, he seems to have laid the foundations with a great defensive stability at Swansea this season and it would be interesting to see what he could have done with better attacking players.

He was a superb player with great game intelligence, he has learned from the best as a player and already have got himself some experiance as Scolaris assistant for Portugal and now in a few Championship clubs.

I think he is ready for a bigger challenge.

The last two summers, we've spent around £20M on individual players who have contributed little on the pitch for a variety of reasons, so getting rid of Benitez for £16M just may well be worth it.

A more pertinent question is 'where are all these people who wanted him to have a 5 year contract with pay commensurate to ferguson, wenger et al?'

They are remarkably quiet about this and how the club is seemingly over a barrel as regards sacking an incompetent manager.

If Rafa is going I wouldn't want Mourinho. He does have so good qualities, he builds players up and make them believe they can win and I think it is that has made people say that he is like Shankly but I would love to hear what the old Liverpool players have to say about that. For all I hear about Shankly the one thing I think he had in abundance was honesty and I don't believe Mourinho has that at all.

They say teams are a reflecion of their manager and look at Chelsea, in his time they were dirty, diving, cheating moaners. People said very similar things about his Porto team as well. People will argue whether it matters when they are winning. To me it does and I don't think people would accept our players diving all over the place. If Gerrard takes a dive now you hear "get up Stevie Superstar" from the stands so imagine how that would be under Mourinho.

For me though that is not the worse thing about him. I just think he is completely insincere, he would come here and say how he loves the club etc etc and then it would be come all about him. That is not what Liverpool is about for me and hopefully never will be.

In my opinion I think he is very clever, I think he leaves a club when he is starting to run out of ideas how to move them on. I think he has a very divisive management style and that works well in the short term but then he starts making too many enemies and has to move on. I think that is what is happening now in Inter (esp with the press) and also happened at Chelsea. I seem to remember when he left Chelsea that they had lost a few games that season and United were in the ascendancy and I think he just decided to get out of there before it reflected on him.

For my club, I would love to get back to the days where we just got on with trying to win football games, no off pitch dramas involving the manager or the Chairman, just boring Monday-Friday followed by exciting Match days.

If we are looking for a new manager then maybe the shout for someone like Laudrup is not a bad idea but I also think the guy below may be worth a shout. He comes across well in this interview, working for Holland will have no doubt managed some difficult characters and maybe looking for a change after the World Cup. Plus they seem to play good football!

The 2010 interview with Bert van Marwijk, pt 2. - Netherlands

If that's what keep him here then yes, I've been happy with him until this season and am more than happy to give him next season to turn it around.

Since he left...around the time the funding started to get cut...

But it's still been spent in the first place. And although they're not spending as much as they were in the first two years to assemble the squad in the first place, they've still spent big on a few players. They needed a striker a few years back to replace Drogba while he was at the African Nations so they thought nothing of spending in excess of £15m on Anelka, they bought Ivanovic for about £12m, Bosingwa for £16m and I'm sure that Zhirkov was pushing £20m. They're still spending, but just not at the scattergun rate in those first few windows when they needed to put together a squad to compete in the first place.

Here's the trophies won by Chelsea during the Abramovich era:

Ranieri: Fuck all

Mourinho: 2 League titles, 2 League Cups, 1 FA Cup

Grant: Fuck all

Scolari: Fuck all

Hiddink: 1 FA Cup

Ancelotti: (as of yet) Fuck all

As I said, money gives you an advantage but it's not the be all and end all in football.

There's no such thing as buying the League.

Money gives you an advantage, but you've still got to buy the right players, find a winning system and keep a hell of a lot of egos happy.

For all their resources, they've only been able to win an FA Cup since he left.

If someone gives the manager unlimited resources, and no one else has the same, the manager is very likely to win the league. Even if the manager's name is Allardyce. The only thing that impressed me with Mourinho was that he did it the first season.

The difference between Chelsea now and Chelsea then is their comparative spending power and the age of their team. The playing field is more level now, and the players getting old. They need younger, hungrier players. Ancelotti is plenty good enough if Abramovich still wants to fund the next generation there.

We, on the other hand, are not on the map any longer. It goes exactly as with all Hicks's sport investment, a controlled slide into obscurity. While we argue about the manager, the club burns...

The squad doesn't need a huge overhaul, it needs sensible transfers with players being bought for the position we need them for, rather than the scattergun policy of the Rafa/Eduardo axis. Sell some dross to free up the wage bill, use some youth players and maybe bring in one player of great quality. Some people make out like we're Hartlepool.

If someone gives the manager unlimited resources, and no one else has the same, the manager is very likely to win the league. Even if the manager's name is Allardyce. The only thing that impressed me with Mourinho was that he did it the first season.

The difference between Chelsea now and Chelsea then is their comparative spending power and the age of their team. The playing field is more level now, and the players getting old. They need younger, hungrier players. Ancelotti is plenty good enough if Abramovich still wants to fund the next generation there.

We, on the other hand, are not on the map any longer. It goes exactly as with all Hicks's sport investment, a controlled slide into obscurity. While we argue about the manager, the club burns...

Well Ranieri didnt win the title with all of abramovic's money.

I very much doubt it, mate. As I said, Grant took over from the best Chelsea team in history and won fuck all, just like how Ranieri went on football's equivalent of Supermarket Sweep in the summer Abramovich took over and he still managed to win fuck all.

Look at Mark Hughes at Man City, there was no chance of them ever winning the League under him because he's not a good enough manager, just like I'm sceptical they'd ever win the League under Mancini because he seems to struggle in getting to grips with the English game and keeping everybody in the squad happy.

It's not as if money alone is the single biggest reason for a team's success.

The squad doesn't need a huge overhaul, it needs sensible transfers with players being bought for the position we need them for, rather than the scattergun policy of the Rafa/Eduardo axis. Sell some dross to free up the wage bill, use some youth players and maybe bring in one player of great quality. Some people make out like we're Hartlepool.

This is what its all about. Change the manager, change the philosophy, change a few players and see the difference.

What is the main criteria for a Liverpool Manager at present in our current situation?

Are we looking at someone who can make an instant impact in the short-term and make us competitive like Hiddink did at Chelsea, or are we looking for an Arsene Wenger who can work to a budget and be part of a long-term project that will see us playing good quality, attacking football and will develop young talent ?

Quite right.

Reina. Best keeper in the league.

Johnson. Best right winger in the league.;)

Gerrard /Masch best mid combo in league.

Torres. best no 9 in the league.

Babel Kelly and Agger all have the goods to step up too.

Plenty to build on, with the right bloke in charge.

If you were to add Bellamy and Crouch in to that we'd have a squad good enough to win the league.

Subject to decent leadership of course.

Liverpool Specials Next Permanent Manager Betting Odds

Sky Bet

Jose Mourinho 9/4 - Can't see it, not enough money to spend on players or his wage demands. Also, I can't stand the egotistical side of him.

Martin O'Neill 3/1 - Good grief, I can't believe those odds. Surely not?

Kenny Dalglish 8/1 - 10 years ago maybe, doesn't need the hassle these days.

Laurent Blanc 10/1 - Performed wonders at Bordeaux, I wouldn't be averse to him.

Mark Hughes 12/1 - Useless by name, useless by nature. A non-starter.

Oswaldo de Oliveira 12/1 - Who?

Roy Hodgson 16/1 - Excellent manager and class guy, but too old to build anything here long-term.

Jurgen Klinsmann 16/1 - After the reaction to the flirting with him 2 years ago and his poor spell at Bayern, can't see it.

Alex McLeish 16/1 - Done well wherever he has been (Motherwell, Hibs, Rangers, Scotland and Birmingham) but could he handle the expectation at a club like ours? Too defensive in his tactics for my liking too.

Guus Hiddink 16/1 - I think he's cut out for international football more these days and hasn't he just signed a long-term contract to manage Turkey?

Bernd Schuster 20/1 -Not a chance, why is he even mentioned?

Frank Rijkaard 25/1 - Barcelona haven't looked back since he left. I wouldn't be against a Dutch coach as they all believe in playing the game the right way.

Marco Van Basten 25/1 - See above.

Bert van Marwijk 33/1 - And again.

Bruce Arena 33/1 - Surely only mentioned because the two twats are Yanks?

My thoughts on that list.

If Rafa is going I wouldn't want Mourinho. He does have so good qualities, he builds players up and make them believe they can win and I think it is that has made people say that he is like Shankly but I would love to hear what the old Liverpool players have to say about that. For all I hear about Shankly the one thing I think he had in abundance was honesty and I don't believe Mourinho has that at all.

They say teams are a reflecion of their manager and look at Chelsea, in his time they were dirty, diving, cheating moaners. People said very similar things about his Porto team as well. People will argue whether it matters when they are winning. To me it does and I don't think people would accept our players diving all over the place. If Gerrard takes a dive now you hear "get up Stevie Superstar" from the stands so imagine how that would be under Mourinho.

For me though that is not the worse thing about him. I just think he is completely insincere, he would come here and say how he loves the club etc etc and then it would be come all about him. That is not what Liverpool is about for me and hopefully never will be.

In my opinion I think he is very clever, I think he leaves a club when he is starting to run out of ideas how to move them on. I think he has a very divisive management style and that works well in the short term but then he starts making too many enemies and has to move on. I think that is what is happening now in Inter (esp with the press) and also happened at Chelsea. I seem to remember when he left Chelsea that they had lost a few games that season and United were in the ascendancy and I think he just decided to get out of there before it reflected on him.

For my club, I would love to get back to the days where we just got on with trying to win football games, no off pitch dramas involving the manager or the Chairman, just boring Monday-Friday followed by exciting Match days.

If we are looking for a new manager then maybe the shout for someone like Laudrup is not a bad idea but I also think the guy below may be worth a shout. He comes across well in this interview, working for Holland will have no doubt managed some difficult characters and maybe looking for a change after the World Cup. Plus they seem to play good football!

The 2010 interview with Bert van Marwijk, pt 2. - Netherlands

I'd love Capello to come here, I think he'd be made for us and vice versa.

There could be a gamble on a relatively unknown, younger manager due to cost. Who, I don't know.

Or it could come down to who is well known enough to be high profile enough, would take enough money, but not too much and be available after the World Cup.

Step forwards 80-1 shot Sven Goran Eriksson.

Quite right.

Reina. Best keeper in the league.

Johnson. Best right winger in the league.;)

Gerrard /Masch best mid combo in league.

Torres. best no 9 in the league.

Babel Kelly and Agger all have the goods to step up too.

Plenty to build on, with the right bloke in charge.

If you were to add Bellamy and Crouch in to that we'd have a squad good enough to win the league.

Subject to decent leadership of course.

Not done too bad with his transfers has he :whistle: