You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

Rafa may well get an offer at Real Madrid or Juventus. So, I don't think it all that unlikely that he'll go of his own accord, take another well-paid job, and save himself the indignity of the sack. In any case, more misery this season (starting on Thursday) might force our hand, nothwithstanding the expense - which, given that he'll want another job in the short term, might not cost as much as we think...

Oh come on. Gerrard was already here. Reina, a player signed when Pako was here and the team hasnt been the same since he left.Mascherano was on an 18 month loan before we signed him. If keane, aquilani, dossena, morientes and a few others had been on loan, do you think he would have been able to spot they wouldnt work here?

Torres is by far and away his single major signing success.

Even his Valencia side, he inherited a better backbone of a team than he built.

I dont think Rafa deserves to be in a job come next season but some of what you have said is bollocks. Reina, Torres, Alonso, Johnson, Mascherano, Agger, Maxi and Benayoun would all be top players in a side managed by somebody with the right mentality and implementing an attacking approach. They are all signings made by Rafa and all but Alonso are still here. The Alonso money might not have been spent well but equally Aquilani might also prove to be class for our next manager.

If there is any truth in this article by the way, then he goes top of my list:

Guardiola for Arsenal is Pep talk that won't go away

By Guillem Balague

Published 08:01 05/04/10

Fans think that decisions about managers come from hard reflection, and the choice tends to be one that is logical with the philosophy of the club. Sometimes it's more luck than judgment and often it has little to do with football. Take Pep Guardiola.

When it became clear that the Barcelona coach's predecessor had given his stars too much freedom and complacency was costing them points, two out of the three most important people at Barcelona decided that Jose Mourinho was the right man to restore order.

The money men also calculated that the Portuguese would merge the two very powerful brands Barcelona and Mourinho: allowing them to conquer international and domestic markets.

Local legend Guardiola and FC Barcelona, on the other hand, were the same brand and therefore lower profile. President Joan Laporta ignored his bean counters and listened to a football man, Johan Cruyff. And even when the inexperienced Guardiola responded to being offered the reins at one of Europe's biggest clubs by telling his president 'You haven't got the cojones!', Laporta followed his instinct.

As the Barcelona players celebrated winning the world club cup in January, a tearful Guardiola asked his assistant: 'where do we go from here?' He knew that the season after winning six trophies would always be the hardest.

As players start to believe their own hype, they sacrifice less for the group and as a consequence - and as we saw at the Emirates - there are two Barcelonas: the magical one that started the first half and the one that switched off in the second.

Because reproducing the success of last year is impossible and, aware of the fickle nature of fortune in football, Guardiola views managing Barcelona as a medium term plan. What might follow?

He went for a trial to Manchester City at the end of his career and loves English football. He's aware of the rumours tipping him as a candidate to succeed Arsene Wenger at Arsenal. It's even been suggested he could be Wenger's choice if the Frenchman, with whom Guardiola is in contact, moves 'upstairs' at Arsenal.

However, the wheels have not been set in motion regarding that possibility. Yet.

I dont think Rafa deserves to be in a job come next season but some of what you have said is bollocks. Reina, Torres, Alonso, Johnson, Mascherano, Agger, Maxi and Benayoun would all be top players in a side managed by somebody with the right mentality and implementing an attacking approach. They are all signings made by Rafa and all but Alonso are still here. The Alonso money might not have been spent well but equally Aquilani might also prove to be class for our next manager.

Johnson couldnt get in chelsea's side and looking at his defending for brum's goal Im not surprised. Alonso isnt here anymore, Benayoun wants away if stories are to be believed. As for Aquilani.....................

Johnson couldnt get in chelsea's side and looking at his defending for brum's goal Im not surprised. Alonso isnt here anymore, Benayoun wants away if stories are to be believed. As for Aquilani.....................

Why were they after signing him last summer then?

Johnson is a better player than Ferreira.

Aquilani is shit, maxi has been here 5 mins and had 2 decent games and Agger is the most overrated player in LFC history, having had 4 good games 4 years ago.

Bennayoun is good, but nowhere near world class and lacks consistency.

The only other genuinely class players have been shipped out or just couldn't take his shit any longer, making them failed signings too.

In summary, Benitez has made just three no brainer successful signings in six years and 13 transfer windows - Reina, Torres and Mascherano. And out of those three, only Reina could really be considered as a "brilliant signing" - ie a world class player unearthed at a great price under the noses of the competition.

Basically, Benitez has made ONE brilliant signing. In six years.

He's a total fucking failure.

WOOOOO!

So am I. So fucking what?

I was replying to the other poster and what he said.

Do keep up.

Probably as cover, not a first team regular, possibly because we were after him.

They were willing to spend close to 20 million for a reserve right back?

Are you for real? Yeah, chelsea really dont have two pennies to rub together.

Why did they sell him in the first place if he was that good?

I am from the internets.

Ask Mourinho why Johnson was sold.

Ask Capello who he thinks is one of the best right backs in Europe.

Playground stuff this.

Aquilani is shit, maxi has been here 5 mins and had 2 decent games and Agger is the most overrated player in LFC history, having had 4 good games 4 years ago.

Bennayoun is good, but nowhere near world class and lacks consistency.

The only other genuinely class players have been shipped out or just couldn't take his shit any longer, making them failed signings too.

In summary, Benitez has made just three no brainer successful signings in six years and 13 transfer windows - Reina, Torres and Mascherano. And out of those three, only Reina could really be considered as a "brilliant signing" - ie a world class player unearthed at a great price under the noses of the competition.

Basically, Benitez has made ONE brilliant signing. In six years.

He's a total fucking failure.

WOOOOO!

I disagree as I've seen the players I've named look class for sustained spells, not the sprinkling of games you mention. Last season being a very good example of how good they can be. I dont believe they are all of a sudden overrated or shite. What we need is a new manager and two or three top signings. Nothing more than that.

What makes Benitez a "total fucking failure" as you put it, is his inability to manage what he has to the levels required. That means making inspiring and bold substitutions, not dropping in form players and playing players in their proper positions.

Edit: And Aquilani isn't shit. The style of football we play is shit. Put him in a side playing free flowing football and you'll be saying what a class act he is.

Edited by Liam

Cant belive that Capello isnt under serious consideration. Every club he's been at he's won the leageue - even Roma. He understands this league now. Style of football is very Benitez / Mourinho but he adapts to a new job very quickly. he wouldnt be in for the long haul but who cares if he wins a league! Dont see why he would want to stay as England manager beyond world cup - not even sure what his contract situations is. Personally i'd be more confident of him delivering a league championship than any other candidate - irrespective of budget.

Moment of clarity last night.

Benitez knows hes going, knows hes for the chop, knows that Maureen is on his way.

Thinks to himself, right, i scorch the earth and pocket £16mill. No??

He was smiling as he threw fourth away yesterday.

Hes a political animal.

I say the more bizarre his decisions become, the more likely Mourinho will be our next manager.

They hate each other.

From Rafas point of view, he gets £16mill, moves to Madrid, and fucks up Mourinho for at least a season.

So, i conclude Mourinho will be in charge next season. We are now the ideal canvas on which to daub his ego.

I think you forgot your breakfast.

tabs.jpg

Cant belive that Capello isnt under serious consideration. Every club he's been at he's won the leageue - even Roma. He understands this league now. Style of football is very Benitez / Mourinho but he adapts to a new job very quickly. he wouldnt be in for the long haul but who cares if he wins a league! Dont see why he would want to stay as England manager beyond world cup - not even sure what his contract situations is. Personally i'd be more confident of him delivering a league championship than any other candidate - irrespective of budget.

I'd be happy with him.