You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

Our first XI is as good as any other in the league. Our problem is depth in certain positions, for example upfront.

If Hodgson can keep Torres and Gerrard, get one or two shrewd buys, getting our side playing football and attacking teams, I see no reason why we can't challenge for the title - let alone get in the top four.

Hodgson is a defensive manager though. He won do that.

the thought of hodgson doesn't inspire me at all,sadly it just shows how far we have fallen that non of the top managers out there are even getting linked with us.don't even mention hiddink as he had taken the turkey job before rafa went so that was a non starter anyway.anyone saying hodgson appeals to them really should look deep and ask themselves would you have been looking to hodgson if it hadn't been for his last 2 seasons at fulham?

It's gonna be hodgson, isn't it?

I'm seriously gutted we're gonna pay 8m to get rid of a manager and appoint a vastly inferior manager.

We should be aiming higher but I knew we wouldn't.

Non confrontational is all they want and people are lapping it up.

as much as parry and moores are two clowns, They at least had the cop on to have Rafa lined up when houllier got the bullet, which of the muppets at our club now got rid of Rafa without any f*ckin idea about who to replace him with? the owners who dont talk, the chelsea supporting chairman, or purslow...

My take on the links of managers.

Kenny - Yes

Hiddink - Yes - but wont / cant come

Hodgson - No Thanks

O'Neill - No Thanks

Mark Hughes - No Thanks

H Redknapp - No Thanks

Sven - ?!?! for the love of god no!!

Guest PurpleNose

I'm seriously gutted we're gonna pay 8m to get rid of a manager and appoint a vastly inferior manager.

They want a hassle free manager. Benitez kicked up too much of a fuss. They're actually not that arsed that we finished 7th. So we missed out on Champions League revenue, fuck it just sell another player.

They want someone who will shut the fuck up and let them asset strip us in peace.

Its hard to believe isnt it. Even harder to believe that so many people on here are happy to accept that.

Hodgson's best achievements have come when he was the manager of Finland... As a manager otherwise he is on par with Allardyce, is less obnoxious, and will not rock the boat. And he's pals with Dalglish.

That's the profile they're looking for...

Hodgson would be an appalling choice he proved at blackburn he couldnt deal with star players and turns thing round were going bad similar trait to Rafa.

However If we sell Johnson, Stevie, Mascher and Torres at least he wouldnt have the problem of dealing with star players

I'm desperate for it to be Kenny as he's the only one who'd suggest a sale of the club is in the pipeline.

Failing that, as I said it at the end of last season, I'd take Roy Hodgson because he'd calmly steer us through these treacherous waters.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting us to achieve anything under him, I just think he'd be the man to "batten down the hatches" and get on with the job until the storm passes - because if the owners aren't going any time soon, that's the best we can expect.

I also fully expect Gerrard and Torres to leave as Hodgson arrives (or pretty much anyone other than Kenny), the latter possibly only being kept here by virtue of the appropriateness of the clubs coming in for him- though I wouldn't be surprised if Broughton the stooge helps him on his way to Chelsea.

Hodgson would be an appalling choice he proved at blackburn he couldnt deal with star players and turns thing round were going bad similar trait to Rafa.

However If we sell Johnson, Stevie, Mascher and Torres at least he wouldnt have the problem of dealing with star players

True Nick.

Hodgson would be an appalling choice he proved at blackburn he couldnt deal with star players

He proved at Inter he can.

So it would appear that the smart money is on Hodgson. Which actually surprises me the level of growing support there is for him on this forum. Now he is a decent manager, or rather he has done a decent job at Fulham. By which i mean he hasn't got them relegated.

So far achieving that magnificent feat is seen that he is the man for this once great club. I see a number of posters on here stating that Hodgson would bring stability to the club he would steady the ship, but yet no question of where is the ship heading. What i think they mean is Roy will keep his gob shut, Roy won't upset the apple cart once the top players abandon ship jump into lifeboats and sail off to the island of success. People seem to be resigned to getting Hodgson just because he's a nice bloke. Well sorry not me been there done that with Evans. The only saving grace of that era was the Football was entertaining and ATTACKING. We won't get that under Hodgson.

As the Fulham fan on here has already said Hodgson will get your team compact and hard to beat. well haven't we had that for 11 years? under Ged and now Rafa. yet those who moaned and complained about the style of football under Benitez and Houiller are saying Woohoo lets get Hodgson. I just don't get it.

Liverpool centre back Sami Hyypia worked with Hodgson when he coached Finland and yesterday offered this insight: ‘Everything was based on how to play the game. Everyone knew their roles and in training we went through the team shape. He brought discipline into the team that you need to be successful nowadays.

‘Each player was disciplined to know his role. This is one of Roy’s strengths. Normally when you see his team play they are organised and don’t concede many goals. It was a pleasure to work with him.’

Read more: It's a whole new ball game at Fulham under sagacious King Roy | Mail Online

Paul Ince on Roy Hodgson: -

PLACID, intelligent, articulate. All words that you associate with Roy Hodgson and trotted out by those people who don't really know him so well.

But if you'd sat in a dressing room and seen him peeling the paint off the walls at half-time, you'd get a better picture of the man I'd have no hesitation in naming Manager of the Year.

I've never seen anybody go quite as bananas as Roy - and I include Fergie in that.

He might not get the hairdryer out right in your face in the way Fergie does but grown men don't dare catch Roy's eye when he's in full rant mode.

I was fortunate to work under him at Inter Milan for three years and it was a real education and insight into a great manager.

He came to Inter when the players ruled the dressing room and, in particular, Pepe Bergomi.

Bergomi was Mr Inter. He was the captain, had the ear of the president, went out for dinner with influential supporters and basically ruled the roost.

The problem was, Pepe was past it. He only got in the team through reputation, nothing else.

Roy saw that immediately and after he replaced Ottavio Bianchi as manager, the first thing he did was drop Bergomi.

Cue murder.

The fans went mad, there were huge inquisitions (mostly led by Bergomi himself) and all sorts of threats against Roy's position.

But he held strong because he knew he was right.

He laid down a marker and would not be swayed even though he came under tremendous pressure. I admired that. It showed a man whose outward manner hid an inner strength and belief in himself.

We used to live fairly close to each other on Lake Como and there were many nights we'd have a meal together, Roy with his glass of red and big cigar, me listening and trying to soak up as much information and advice as I could.

It was because of Roy that I didn't pack Inter in after a few months.

Bianchi was playing me on the left wing in a 4-5-1 formation but Roy switched to a 4-4-2, stuck me back in centre midfield and helped give me a football education I've never forgotten.

His CV was already packed with experience both at club and international level and he had a wisdom that rubbed off on players and gave him the immediate respect of even the biggest names. Training sessions were a joy, always fresh and packed with ideas you could easily take on board.

When he left Inter the president, Massimo Moratti, admitted that letting Roy go was the biggest mistake he made.

I see so many of the traits he bred at Inter in the current Fulham side.

They play to a system, they're fantastically organised and they play for each other.

There are no egos or star names which lulls opponents into a false sense of security meaning they underestimate Fulham... and pay for it. I hear managers say there's no pressure at a club like Fulham because there's no real expectations.

Rubbish. The pressure to stay in the Premier League is immense because relegation could cost a club like Fulham so dearly. Then there's the pressure of turning players who have been rejected by other clubs into better players through coaching and fantastic man-management.

Speak to somebody like Danny Murphy who was turfed out by Liverpool. Or Simon Davies. Or Bobby Zamora.

They will tell you Roy has improved them as players to the point Zamora is a real candidate for an England place.

You don't beat the likes of Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus and Wolfsburg by a fluke.

You win because you're a confident unit completely comfortable with the manager's system and tactics, and you believe in yourselves.

Fulham are at the same stage of the Europa League as Liverpool without spending a fraction of Anfield's budget. That says it all.

Roy is a real manager's manager who never gets involved in controversy, just does his job properly and wins the respect of all his peers.

So while Carlo Ancelotti or whoever wins the title will always be mentioned as Manager of the Year, for me there's only one winner... Roy Hodgson.

He proved at Inter he can.

Am on my phone so can't be arsed with the hassle of linking, but if you go on Hodgson's wiki page you will find a quote from him stating that Inter lacked star names during his spell there.

Personally, he'll get my full support, but I fear he'll be a disaster.

*crosses fingers and toes*

Football Italia - the Italian football website for English-speaking football fans

There are reports that Italy boss Marcello Lippi is Liverpool’s target to replace Rafa Benitez.

The 2006 World Cup winner has already confirmed he will leave his post after the tournament in South Africa, making way for Cesare Prandelli.

This week Liverpool terminated their contract with Benitez by mutual consent, so they are on the look-out for a new Coach.

According to the Gazzetta dello Sport, Lippi represents the kind of solidity and success rate that the new Anfield owners are looking for.

His presence would also help guarantee that stars such as Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres will stay on at the club.

The newspaper claims that both Liverpool legends Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush would support this appointment.

Lippi has always said that he would like an experience in the Premier League and that he wouldn’t accept another Serie A job after the Azzurri.

Am on my phone so can't be arsed with the hassle of linking, but if you go on Hodgson's wiki page you will find a quote from him stating that Inter lacked star names during his spell there.

Personally, he'll get my full support, but I fear he'll be a disaster.

I think he inherited a very average Inter Milan squad who had finished mid-table prior to his arrival. They finished 3rd & reached a Uefa Cup Final during his tenure.

*crosses fingers and toes*

Football Italia - the Italian football website for English-speaking football fans

There are reports that Italy boss Marcello Lippi is Liverpool’s target to replace Rafa Benitez.

The 2006 World Cup winner has already confirmed he will leave his post after the tournament in South Africa, making way for Cesare Prandelli.

This week Liverpool terminated their contract with Benitez by mutual consent, so they are on the look-out for a new Coach.

According to the Gazzetta dello Sport, Lippi represents the kind of solidity and success rate that the new Anfield owners are looking for.

His presence would also help guarantee that stars such as Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres will stay on at the club.

The newspaper claims that both Liverpool legends Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush would support this appointment.

Lippi has always said that he would like an experience in the Premier League and that he wouldn’t accept another Serie A job after the Azzurri.

Not a chance Woo sadly.

There's no way he'll shit over Juve fans by coming here.