You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Darby, Spearing and Eccleston

PaulMcC

And if he was, I think we'd be a lot better for it and Nemeth would too. As a side not, heard he got two good assists yesterday.

Very good assists, showed real strength on the ball as well, I think he should be able to mix it next year. We can but hope.

I generally agree with what you're saying about buchtmann, but to be fair from what I've seen Cooper has shown more since he's been given a chance than buchtmann did. McMahon has started to play players in a range of positions to push them to develop in different ways and we seem capable of creating players who understand the game, but we need to let them play more. Let Amoo drift from the wing and get involved with he feels like it, he needs time on the ball.

My biggest issue with JM is Pepper. I'd love to see Pepper and Duran play together in midfield, it seems totally unfair the way the lad has been treated this season. I've heard talk of egotism and a bad attitude but so what, he's young and bound to be a bit immature. If his attitude provoked this situation the way JM has reacted (also immature imo, freezing him out because of his personal opinion of the kid) will have only further frustrated him and, as a result, his attitude will have become more negative, JM should rise above it and find a solution. Give him a chance, get a smile on his face (a goal in a proper game would no doubt help) and see how that affects him and his attitude. If there was a question about his ego, do you know what a sensible course of action would have been? Give him games this year, push him to develop and then send him out on loan. A few months playing with adults who could not give a shit about how highly rated he is would soon have given the boy a grounding. He might even have become a man in the process.

There are a lot of issues but when you look at some in the team, you can see that players are getting to the point where they are deserving of opportunities, and Kelly has shown that if you take them, you can get into the squad. I think Darby and Jay (who have both been decent, if not great, for the first team when given a taste) will be here next year and will force the issue as they both seem determined to prove something while on loan.

ach, ignore what I said in the 2nd para (except the first line, I do think Cooper has been better), I mixed ressies and academy again. A better way to put it.

In the academy we are starting to try players in a range of positions and I think that'll help us in the long-run. It's the famous approach of the Ajax youth team and Borrell seems to embrace it. I think the way Wisdom has been deployed in a range of positions is going to really help the guy, same with Ngoo. In previous seasons he would be dumped up top and told to be a target... how will he develop there? Borrell has given him spells out wide to develop his touch and mobility, it might not always bring the best results in games, but it will help him more in the long run. Meanwhile, we are bringing guys like Emilsson and Sterling in, Silva has come out of nowhere and is being rewarded with games at a level which will push him and Coady and Robinson are also being brought through.

in short, I think that the quality of players coming into the ressies will rise in the next few years, it's just a question of whether we can transition them to the first team for a change.

It seems to be the case that we've had good reserve and U18 teams, but few stand out individuals.

Winning the reserve league and youth cup is great, but means little if we haven't anyone coming through for the first team.

Winning is important for confidence, but at that level it's not really a results business is it?

Nemeth is a prime example. I went to a lot of the Reserve games in his first season, and he was un-fucking-believable at times. So much hype around the kid, but he seemed to be grounded. What does Rafa do in that summer? Sign an unknown Frenchman with a funny soundin name. Not right. Nemeth is caste away like he's nothing and his career has dwindled since then. He should be where N'gog is. And if he was, I think we'd be a lot better for it and Nemeth would too. As a side not, heard he got two good assists yesterday.

Sorry mate, got to take issue with you there. Last season Nemeth was crocked beyond belief - he actually went out on loan to Blackpool, with a view of getting a decent run of games so he would be closer to the first team, and got injured again. His injuries are what is holding him back, not Rafa. Nemeth has done well for AEK but again, he's been mostly injured for them.

Just been speaking to a watford fan mate of mine who was at the Leicester game on Saturday. He said that Spearing was excellent and none of the Watford players could get close to him. Totally ran the show.

Nice one - sounds like he has found his level.

cmon, why cant anyone upload spearings goals somewhere?:) cant see it on bbc cos im not living in england.

i think spearing is good enough to be a decent squad player for us, maybe even a start player in 4-5 years, like fletcher for man u.

Very good assists, showed real strength on the ball as well, I think he should be able to mix it next year. We can but hope.

I generally agree with what you're saying about buchtmann, but to be fair from what I've seen Cooper has shown more since he's been given a chance than buchtmann did. McMahon has started to play players in a range of positions to push them to develop in different ways and we seem capable of creating players who understand the game, but we need to let them play more. Let Amoo drift from the wing and get involved with he feels like it, he needs time on the ball.

My biggest issue with JM is Pepper. I'd love to see Pepper and Duran play together in midfield, it seems totally unfair the way the lad has been treated this season. I've heard talk of egotism and a bad attitude but so what, he's young and bound to be a bit immature. If his attitude provoked this situation the way JM has reacted (also immature imo, freezing him out because of his personal opinion of the kid) will have only further frustrated him and, as a result, his attitude will have become more negative, JM should rise above it and find a solution. Give him a chance, get a smile on his face (a goal in a proper game would no doubt help) and see how that affects him and his attitude. If there was a question about his ego, do you know what a sensible course of action would have been? Give him games this year, push him to develop and then send him out on loan. A few months playing with adults who could not give a shit about how highly rated he is would soon have given the boy a grounding. He might even have become a man in the process.

There are a lot of issues but when you look at some in the team, you can see that players are getting to the point where they are deserving of opportunities, and Kelly has shown that if you take them, you can get into the squad. I think Darby and Jay (who have both been decent, if not great, for the first team when given a taste) will be here next year and will force the issue as they both seem determined to prove something while on loan.

What's the Pepper situation got to do with McMahon? Pepper is at the academy and isn't in the reserve squad.

• 1 month later...

Reds release young duo

Christopher Oldfield and Robbie Threlfall will leave Liverpool when their contracts expire on June 30.

The young duo - neither of whom have made a competitive first-team appearance - join Fabio Aurelio and David Martin in being released.

Meanwhile, Australian stopper Dean Bouzanis has committed his future until June 2012.

Five others have been offered fresh terms: David Amoo, Sean Highdale, Steven Irwin, Alex Kacaniklic and Andras Simon.

Reds release young duo

Christopher Oldfield and Robbie Threlfall will leave Liverpool when their contracts expire on June 30.

The young duo - neither of whom have made a competitive first-team appearance - join Fabio Aurelio and David Martin in being released.

Meanwhile, Australian stopper Dean Bouzanis has committed his future until June 2012.

Five others have been offered fresh terms: David Amoo, Sean Highdale, Steven Irwin, Alex Kacaniklic and Andras Simon.

Really?

Reds release young duo

Oldfield will no doubt be replaced as you can't have enough goalkeepers. We seem to be a finishing school for goalkeepers, and they all appear to follow the Pepe blueprint for dynamism. There problem is getting enough games as it's a position that requires continuity to develop.

I've said before about players like Threlfall that there is no point keeping them if they are too far away from the first team at age 21. Sending them on multiple loans is doing neither them or the club any good, so it's best all round if they move on.

Amoo, Irwin and Kacaniklic have shown a lot of promise, and have the potential to develop further as long as they retain a desire. Highdale deserves more time purely for the time he lost, but again must show signs of desire and development. With Simon I'm unsure, because to me he's not shown enough to suggest he'll develop further. I would have put him in the same situation as Threlfall above in that he needs to move on to stand any chance of progressing.