You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Breaking Bad Thread

chorlton

• 1 month later...
Quite possibly the best thing on TV. Why it's never taken off over here is a complete mystery.

Because people would rather watch shite like X-Factor where they don't have to think of anything for the hour or whatever it's on for.

Starting to happen a bit over in America now. Most top class shows are being put on channels that aren't the normal (ABC, NBC etc) but on the cable style ones where viewing figures aren't as important to how it goes.

Because people would rather watch shite like X-Factor where they don't have to think of anything for the hour or whatever it's on for.

Starting to happen a bit over in America now. Most top class shows are being put on channels that aren't the normal (ABC, NBC etc) but on the cable style ones where viewing figures aren't as important to how it goes.

I don't think that's true. The Sopranos always got very good figures when it was on here. It's probably more a case of TV stations knowing how to promote superficial and vacuous shows, whereas shows that don't offer instant gratification aren't what they're used to.

It's the way of the world unfortunately. Other than people on here I know one person who watches it. Nobody else I know has ever even heard of it. Mental.

It is borderline psychotic in my book.

I don't think that's true. The Sopranos always got very good figures when it was on here. It's probably more a case of TV stations knowing how to promote superficial and vacuous shows, whereas shows that don't offer instant gratification aren't what they're used to.

The Unit, CBS, was cancelled in 2009 despite it's fourth season averaging around 10 million viewers. Blue Bloods is a current CBS programme that is averaging 12 million through two seasons and has not even reached any major talks about whether it should continue or not.

Friends, NBC, averaged no less than just shy of 15 million a season during it's run. If NBC had anything approaching that these days, they'd wanl themselves silly over it. Their biggest comedy in recent years has been 30 Rock and it's seasonal average has maxed out at 7.5 million.

The point I was making is that TV has changed completely these days. Channels like HBO, Showtime etc, aren't as arsed about ratings as they get basic money in from people 'buying the channel'. Whereas your NBC/FOXs are run on ratings because ultimately a show needs to turn a profit.

American Idol has been passing the 30 million mark on numerous occasions on FOX. Whereas 24 on the same network couldn't get over the 14 million seasonal mark.

Am agreeing that 'instant gratification' shows are being promoted, mainly reality tv bollocks, because people don't wanna think from one week to the next. Or to wait 6-9 months for another part of the story. They want an end to things or something that requires no thought process.

Can't wait.

I hadn't watched this until you all started on about the last season on here and then watched them all through from season one over a couple of weeks.

Is it even on the telly over here? Until I saw it getting talked about on here I pretty much had no idea what it was or what it was about and had barely heard about it.

I like the Wire and Shield type lack of making things obvious and leaving you to figure it out yourself.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

like when he is planning to blow the car up to kill Gus and you have no idea why Gus has stopped until you finally see that Walt has sunglasses on the top of his head and Gus has probably seen the light reflecting of them. Most programs would make it blatantly obvious that is what happened.

• 2 weeks later...
This is ace...

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

[YOUTUBE]NuN-70bICR4[/YOUTUBE]

Boss. Reminded me of this article with shows creator.

Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan: the man who turned Walter White from Mr Chips into Scarface | Television & radio | The Guardian

"I originally pitched it to the studio with one line," says Vince Gilligan, the creator of Breaking Bad. "I told them: 'This is a story about a man who transforms himself from Mr Chips into Scarface.'" The line turned out to be a clincher, and it remains as good a description as any of a show that wins serial Emmy awards and is frequently described by fans as being the best drama on TV. It may also be why you're likely never to have seen it.

Breaking Bad stars Bryan Cranston (previously the dad in Malcolm In The Middle) in the Chips/Scarface role. He is Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher suddenly diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. His response to the news is simple: employ his science skills to start cooking the best crystal meth in the south-western United States. The consequences of this single choice soon start to ripple outwards, affecting his family and friends, eventually influencing the actions of some incredibly dangerous people. What results is a drama serial that's humorous, gruesome, compulsive and compelling. It's also a programme that at its core is a morality play, examining what any of us might be capable of given the right incentives.

It's not an easy sell, and Breaking Bad is not always an easy watch. As such it seems to have found itself thrust into the company of other American programmes that have been loved by British fans but buried by broadcasters, from Seinfeld to Arrested Development, Damages to The Wire. Having been bandied around various digital channels, the show has no home on our screens at present, but with the third season being released on DVD, there is now the chance to immerse yourself in a drama that is as idiosyncratic, and as compelling, as Tony Montana taking over a boarding school.

Gilligan, who is 45 but speaks with an avuncular southern drawl that makes him sound 20 years older, made his name working on The X Files. As producer and writer he was responsible for sustaining one of the most successful franchises on TV; a programme where the most outlandish things would happen to ordinary people and be wrapped up in an hour. Then, after nine seasons, The X Files was cancelled. "A year or two after I was still looking for a new gig," Gilligan recalls. "I was talking to a friend and neither of us was having much luck. We were joking around on the phone and he said we should follow the example of a guy who'd put a meth lab in the back of a Winnebago and driven around the south-west. My friend said, 'Why don't we do that?' He was joking, but an image popped into my head of somebody who would do that."

After that conversation, Gilligan began to worry away at the character that would become Walter White. "I wondered why someone like us, which is to say a basically law-abiding citizen, would suddenly do such a thing," he says. "Why would someone make such a radical change in their lives if they were basically a good person, a non-criminal? I think of Breaking Bad as a bit of character study. It's really about this one man and this one particular set of circumstances, the fact he makes decisions that most of us, myself included, would not. We are telling a story of transformation in which a previously good man, through sheer force of will, decides to become a bad man."

The first season of Breaking Bad covered the story of Walter's bizarre life-switch with a tone of macabre farce. Walter and his slacker sidekick Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul), a former student, are a source of knockabout laughs, even when melting gangsters in bathtubs filled with acid. As each new season begins, however, both the scale and the stakes of the drama grow greater. Walter's brother-in-law, Hank, a Drug Enforcement Agency official no less, starts to pick up the scent. Mexican drug cartels get wind of Walter's product. What was once played for laughs becomes deadly serious (with the glorious exception of amoral lawyer Saul Goodman, a season two addition and cult figure in his own right).

Walter wanders deeper into a world of which he previously knew nothing, deeper into immorality, but as the viewer you are always able to understand why he's doing it. The same goes for the reactions of his friends and family. The meticulous plotting and characterisation (as well as stand-out performances from Cranston and Aaron Paul, who between them have won four acting Emmys on the show) is what raises Breaking Bad above most, if not all, contemporary TV dramas. And it's here that Gilligan built on his X Files experience.

"To crib a bit of Walt's expertise, it is very important to us that every action have a reaction, be it chemical or physical," Gilligan says. "In real life, actions have consequences and when bad things happen, big or little, they tend to resonate with us. We'll think of something that was said in a careless, thoughtless moment years before and we'll stew on it. I've grown up watching a lot of television, more hours of it than I care to admit to, but one thing that I've noted as a consumer is that things don't tend to resonate on a TV show. Marshal Dillon will gun down a bad guy in the middle of Dodge City one week and by the next it's completely forgotten about. Luckily I've never killed anybody, but I'd have to think that it would stay with you, unless you were an ice-cold sociopath. I'd have to think that pulling the trigger and killing someone would haunt you for the rest of your days. That's not what's portrayed on TV normally." Through the serial nature of his drama, Gilligan saw an opportunity to correct this. "I thought, let's have every action have its consequences. Let's revisit tiny moments from past seasons and see if we can milk more drama from out of them."

To achieve that effect requires many hours, often talking in code. "I am blessed to have six very talented writers, most of whom have been with me right from day one," says Gilligan. "We all have a shorthand for talking about things that happened in prior episodes and this allows us to remember moments we can mine for further use. We ask ourselves the same questions over and over again, like a mantra. 'Where is Walt's head at right now? Where is he coming from? What is his fear, what was his hope?' I won't lie and say we don't work towards certain ideas we have, but our best work is when we don't think about the future too much and we think about the now. That's when some of our best moments have come to us, usually after many, many hours of frustration. I want our show to feel as real as possible and I want those moments of reality to feel earned."

This maxim applies to the violence in the show too, a visceral kind that can easily disturb (think of Tony Soprano in a moment of fury, add the deliberate application of chemical properties, and you're pretty much there). "Breaking Bad is not a show for everybody and it was never intended to be," says Gilligan. "When you live that kind of life and you choose to become a criminal, bad things are going to happen. We never shy away from violence on this show. We never revel in it in any sort of gleeful or nihilistic sense; but, on the other hand, we want to be clear-eyed and realistic about these choices Walter has made and this world he's forced himself into."

Gilligan is true to his word about his commitment to verisimilitude. However, there are great moments of unreality in Breaking Bad, too. The show has visual flair: its time-lapse and POV sequences (often those of inanimate objects) are the subject of YouTube tribute. There are also moments of absurdity, such as the opening scene of one episode in season two where the normal introductory teaser is replaced by narcocorrido music: ballads that sing the praise of drug dealers. And did I mention "Better Call" Saul Goodman? It may require a strong stomach, but Breaking Bad also rewards a thoughtful mind. And watching it might keep you from loading up a caravan and heading out on the road.

• 3 weeks later...
No messin' about sunshine!

On a serious note though, I proper can't fuckin' wait for this. A shame that it is being done in two parts but I'm just expecting so much from this 8 episodes let alone the final 8 next year.