You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa's Summer Budget

Preston Red

Just been having a look at the rumours on the BBC website.

According to The Independent Rafa has no money to spend during the summer. This has come from the horse's mouth if it's to be believed. Unfortunately I'm posting this from my phone so I'm clueless when it comes to copy and pasting things.

So, as usual the press are trying to dig up anything it can about us.

2 questions here.

Why aren't we seen favourably by the press?

If this is true about Rafa's summer Budget, who would you rather we sell to raise money?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rafael Benitez does not expect his Liverpool transfer kitty to be adversely affected if his club does not qualify for the Champions League this season – only because he has precious few funds to play with in the first place.

Benitez was advised at the start of the season that he could do little more than spend the money he generated, hence the purchases of Alberto Aquilani and Glen Johnson only once outgoing deals for Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa had been settled.

The manager has also spent a relatively small amount bringing Maxi Rodriguez and Sotirios Kyrgiakos to Merseyside yet he is anything but the last of the big spenders.

Not finishing fourth is currently unthinkable yet if they do not make it, he expects no reduction in his war chest only because he is determined not to miss what he never had.

"They [the owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks] told me before that it didn't make a big difference [if we don't qualify]. Every year that we have qualified for the Champions League it hasn't made a big difference so if we don't qualify this time I don't expect a big difference."

A failure to qualify for the Champions League would be a stark wake-up call to the fact that the likes of Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City and Aston Villa are now all genuine contenders. The hegemony of the old Big Four looks to be over – with Liverpool the principal victims – yet Benitez has not given up faith that a strong end of season can restore their position among the elite.

"It could go to the very end," he said. "I don't know which teams will be there. Hopefully it will be Liverpool and maybe another one but now there are four and maybe five teams involved so it is important to remain calm."

He also confirmed that Albert Riera's time at Anfield is almost up after he publicly criticised the Liverpool manager last week. Benitez said Riera could be sent out on loan.

Benitez: I have no cash for a summer spree - Premier League, Football - The Independent

The press dont like us because we're the only one of the "big 4" who hasnt won the league yet. The journo's are scum who'll write any old shite just to have a dig at us. I hate the press and i hate sky sports news.

Agreed!!! They are fucking dickheads!!! I hate All press, pundits and sky sports news telepromter readers and writers! Here's a question... If/ when we win the epl... Will they refer to us as "the champions?" I serously doubt it. Knobheads

The press dont like us because we're the only one of the "big 4" who hasnt won the league yet. The journo's are scum who'll write any old shite just to have a dig at us. I hate the press and i hate sky sports news.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My theory on your first question is this.

Because we arn't a London based team and as that is the place the majority of the press/papers are based,any team outside of there arn't really liked.

There is one exception to this and that is the scum.

The reason they are well supported not only in London but also worldwide is this.

The Munich air tragedy happend to them.

When that happend they became not only British headline news,but also worldwide news.

They quite simply became every neutrals favourite team and because of the age of the players and the fact so many lost there lives.

Great things were expected of that team for many years to come.

That tragedy stopped a team that were set to dominate not only here but Europe as well.

So the press have always had a soft spot for them,as well as most of the country etc.

Add the fact they became the first english team to win the European cup a few years after that,just added to the press/public fixation with them.

Now the reason we are hated so much and never recieved the acclaim we deserved in the seventies and early eighties,when we quite simply won everything,is because of the fierce rivalry between Manchester and Liverpool.That rivalry thing is not just a football thing,it is a social hatred that has always exsisted between the two cities.

Then add on the fact that to the rest of the country seen us scousers as arrogant and the fact that in the seventies,the scum got relegated while we took not only here but Europe by storm that hatred grew.

The thing that really pisses me off about that time,is the fact the press went out of there way to report about scouse thugs rampaging through Europe robbing designer shops of there wares,whilst totally ignoring the fact that the scum fans were rampaging through the quiet backwater towns of England looting shops etc at the same time.

That season they were in the second division,there fans set about rampaging throughout England,them little seaside towns did not know how to handle a set of fans that big in there towns etc.

The press hardly reported any of this and just foccused on us and wrote about thieving scouse thugs rampaging throughout Europe.

Then add on the mass unemployment in the eighties on merseyside along with the ill fated European cup final with Juve which led to English clubs getting banned from European competitions,not only the press,but the whole of the country and Europe turned against us.

That hatred of us would still be as vindictive today throughout Europe and here but for one thing,that showed everyone the real meaning of what being a scouser or Liverpool fan was .

It took the loss of 96 lives to change the public view of a fucking press led hatred of against anything scouse or lfc that had been going on for years.96 totally unessacery fucking deaths which still over twenty years fucking later the truth of that day has still not been told by the fuckers in whitehall and the press.

That faithful day showed the world of what being scouse or a Liverpool fan was all about.96 fucking deaths before people realised that there wasn't a more fucking better set of caring and close knit people and football fans as us,96 fans of the greatest club side the world has seen it took that many lives,before peoples press led hatred of us started to change.

Even now it still goe's on with the press,who in the seventies reported every time the Munich song got sung by us,yet never ever mention the vile shit sung especially by the scum hordes about the loss of 96 Liverpool fans that goe's on today.

Fuck the lot of them.

Sorry about the rant.

YNWA

Hopefully he won't be here next season to blow, sorry spend any more money.

If he isn't however then a new manager is going to be seriously restricted because of this ridiculous pay-off that he wormed for himself last year.

How the hell did this contract end up so one sided in his favour? Scandalous.

Rafa's contract was not about a golden parachute, as far as I can tell. He just got a payrise and a longer deal which makes it more expensive to sack him. There is no need to hold that against him.

There have been reports recently (not sure if they are true) that Rafa Benitez has a clause in his contract, that he will be entitled to a £16M pay-off within 24 hours if sacked by the club this summer!

Liverpool can't afford to sack Rafa Benitez! Firing would trigger £16m pay-off clause | Mail Online

Rafa Benitez will have £16million paid immediately into his bank account if Liverpool sack him this summer.

The under-fire Anfield manager has a clause in the five-year contract he signed in March 2009 which dictates that his £4m-a-season deal is paid up in full within 24 hours of him being dismissed.

Not sure whether it has been mentioned yet - just to go back to the press thing, How much exposure have the Green & Gold movement from the mancs got in comparison to us??

BBC news did a big story on them the other week, and The One Show ( which the missus likes ) did a big 10 minute story on them on Friday.

Their movement is moving along cos they are getting a lot more exposure than us, showing that the press will cover anything to do with them, whilst we are labelled small time, minority of supporters. Sadly this also contributes to the apathy of our own fans

Guest davelfc
Not sure whether it has been mentioned yet - just to go back to the press thing, How much exposure have the Green & Gold movement from the mancs got in comparison to us??

BBC news did a big story on them the other week, and The One Show ( which the missus likes ) did a big 10 minute story on them on Friday.

Their movement is moving along cos they are getting a lot more exposure than us, showing that the press will cover anything to do with them, whilst we are labelled small time, minority of supporters. Sadly this also contributes to the apathy of our own fans

You could argue that they've had their owners longer than us, so maybe they are a little behind? But I agree they get a lot more exposure but then again they're currently a lot more successful than we are.

We've not had a good campaign like they have with the scarfs, it's a decent idea and it's caught on. It is something we need to follow, but we need decent leadership as us all talking about it achieves nothing.

Of course there is a certain irony about them doing so damned well and yet still complaining about their owners.

The Green & Gold scarves etc is a lot more visual and eye catching than anything that we have done collectively as fans.

Liverpool can't afford to sack Rafa Benitez! Firing would trigger £16m pay-off clause | Mail Online

Rafa Benitez will have £16million paid immediately into his bank account if Liverpool sack him this summer.

The under-fire Anfield manager has a clause in the five-year contract he signed in March 2009 which dictates that his £4m-a-season deal is paid up in full within 24 hours of him being dismissed.

Fuckin disgusting that is, you would think he had won the league with that obscene contract.

Fuckin disgusting that is, you would think he had won the league with that obscene contract.

It may not be true of course, but IF it is then yes i agree it is disgusting.

If it is true then I would imagine that it is Rafa's camp who have insisted on this clause, unless of course we have hired Peter Ridsdale to handle all contractual matters!

Perhaps Rafa will take legal action against the Daily Mail if it is not true.

If it is true then who is leaking this information & why - Rafa & his advisers or Liverpool FC?