You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manager support from match going fans?

Mitch

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I 'm a member of another popular liverpool fans forum and there seems to be a trend developing. On one hand you have the internet fan who primarily want change at management level ( I'm one of them admittedly i live outside the UK i try and get over to Anfield every season to see the lad's play) And on the other hand you have the matchgoing fans who complicitly support the gaffer. That's the feedback i do get from season ticket holders ,die hard kopites who go to the games.There seems to be a sympathy and an appreciation for Benitez's work. He's working under extreme conditions, he had had to sell to buy, circumstances have gone against him this season, injuries,loss of form, gerrard and carra especially. I'd like to know what is stance of liverpool fans on here from scouse kopites to armchair followers on the manager's position?

everybody i go the match with wants him gone. in fact the only person i can think of who wants him to stay posts on this forum, although he is also a match going red.

Guest the boy

season ticket holder; I want him to have at least another summer, in which he is actually given funds to strengthen the squad, rather than maintain it. Failing that, I am accepting of the fact that, steadily, over the coming seasons we will descend into the slog of mid table. Whether we have Gerrard and Torres now is irrelevant: the descent without any investment into the club will be inevitable. All I'd ask in that case is that we try consistently to play proper football against the dross. If he sets up as he has against Wolves and we still come mid tableish, then I'd want him gone.

Of the group I go to the game with, one fervently wants him to stay, two are indecisive, though I presume a win in hamburg would swing the balance.

I find that opinions are split with my mates. Some won't hear a bad word against him- which is really not deserved as he is definitely not beyond criticism, and some just are completely against him and have wanted him out for quite some time. Others- 'the fence sitters' (like myself) are torn, between acknowleding his glaring faults, which I won't go into here, and also acknowleding apsects like bad luck, injuries, lack of funds, the owners etc.

Guest davelfc

ST Holder: I think he's had his time, but if we get new owners and cash I'd like him to stay for a season to see what he can do. I think we're in much deeper shite than just the manager though. Without new owners it doesn't matter who manages us, we're fooked.

My mates and I are match going fans... (normal group of 5), 3 (including me..) want Rafa to be given another season, 1 wants him gone now.. The other pisses with the wind and depending on the result he either wants him gone or wants him to stay!!

ST Holder: I think he's had his time, but if we get new owners and cash I'd like him to stay for a season to see what he can do. I think we're in much deeper shite than just the manager though. Without new owners it doesn't matter who manages us, we're fooked.

He's had cash, he's had time. His problem is that he refuses to learn from his mistakes, continuing to be too defensive and blowing money on quantity instead of quality.

Allowing him to stay will just be more of the same.

Guest davelfc
He's had cash, he's had time. His problem is that he refuses to learn from his mistakes, continuing to be too defensive and blowing money on quantity instead of quality.

Allowing him to stay will just be more of the same.

You're at a different point than me, I can see your argument but I'm still wavering. I also do not believe he has ever had decent cash to spend on single players who will really improve us. He's often had to sell to buy or needed to buy several players with the cash he has. He has his faults (like most managers) but he's the best we'll see in that position for a long time (unless we lose the owners)

But whatever opinion, he's not had the resources of some of our rivals and that cannot be argued with.

I go the match and regardless what goes on now til the end of the season I reckon he'll be gone in the summer.

I was all for giving Rafa a chance, another season at most, but I was made aware of things that I didn't know about him. New start I reckon.

10-15 matchgoer a season. Dislike his football philosophy and have wanted him gone for 2 yrs. Admittedly wavered last 10 or so games last season, but for me it ended up proving how devastating we could be with a more consistent positive approach.

I go the match and regardless what goes on now til the end of the season I reckon he'll be gone in the summer.

I was all for giving Rafa a chance, another season at most, but I was made aware of things that I didn't know about him. New start I reckon.

He really is "just a fat Spanish Waiter"?

Seems to be probably 60/40 for him to go from what I see and hear at games, i was at lille away a few weeks back and i think everbody wanted him gone that I spoke to, a good friend of mine who has been pro Rafa spoke to me the other day and said enough is enough, after 6 years we still dont have a positive style of play, and are fucked without Torres as the whole style of play relies on his pace.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Seems to be probably 60/40 for him to go from what I see and hear at games, i was at lille away a few weeks back and i think everbody wanted him gone that I spoke to, a good friend of mine who has been pro Rafa spoke to me the other day and said enough is enough, after 6 years we still dont have a positive style of play, and are fucked without Torres as the whole style of play relies on his pace.

It's human nature and perspective Paddy, hearing things that tally with your own opinion

It's no coincidence that the people who want him gone think that they are in the majority and vice versa

Short of polling everyone on the way in, it's hard to say either way

Edited by Ulysses Everett McGill

I'm a season ticket holder and in an ideal world, I think he should go, but whether we can afford to sack him is a different matter. The Reading debacle pretty much made up my mind, in the same way a 2-0 home defeat against Southampton a few years back did the same with Houllier.

I wouldn't class myself as 'pro' or 'anti' Rafa though. I don't see how people can lean to one extreme, as if everything is black and white when it's clearly not. Both sides have, at times, made themselves look like utter beauts such is how entrenched they are in their own views. I recognise when Rafa does well and praise him for it, and I also recognise when he cocks up and constructively criticise him as a consequence. As Stouffer says, I kind of see things in shades of grey but if you pushed me, yes, I would say it's time for him to go.

Saying that, I don't go shouting for his head. I support during the match like I support the players and I really want him to do well, because obviously if Rafa's doing well, then the team's doing well.

Ideally, I'd have a purge at the club. New owners, a new manager and a total clear-out with regards to the playing staff. How likely that is though, I don't know.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I'm a season ticket holder and in an ideal world, I think he should go, but whether we can afford to sack him is a different matter. The Reading debacle pretty much made up my mind, in the same way a 2-0 home defeat against Southampton a few years back did the same with Houllier.

I wouldn't class myself as 'pro' or 'anti' Rafa though. I don't see how people can lean to one extreme, as if everything is black and white when it's clearly not. Both sides have, at times, made themselves look like utter beauts such is how entrenched they are in their own views. I recognise when Rafa does well and praise him for it, and I also recognise when he cocks up and constructively criticise him as a consequence. As Stouffer says, I kind of see things in shades of grey but if you pushed me, yes, I would say it's time for him to go.

Saying that, I don't go shouting for his head. I support during the match like I support the players and I really want him to do well, because obviously if Rafa's doing well, then the team's doing well.

Ideally, I'd have a purge at the club. New owners, a new manager and a total clear-out with regards to the playing staff. How likely that is though, I don't know.

Personally, I can't stand those beauts who sit on the fence

Shades of grey cunts