You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mascherano -Waste Of Space

BexBissel

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is the best player in the world for breaking up play without doubt.

The problem is that's it.He is getting better with his passing and no one can question his passion.

He isn't like any other defensive midfielder as breaking up play an starting a attack.

I would not even call him a midfielder because of this.To me he is a Carra but playing a bit higher up the pitch.

To me he is perfect against ball playing teams or in European games were you defending a lead etc.

He is a luxury player for us because of how the team is set up to play.

However put him in a attack minded side ie Barca or Argentina and then he would/doe's shine.

He is a little gem who play's with a passion,I just think he wont reach his full potential with us.

If it is true Barca offered £30 mill + for him and that money would be used for transfers only,imo we would be stupid not to take it.

The other option is have to ball carrying players along side him,sadly a basic thing we dont have.

Masch deal edging closer

22nd Mar 2010 - Latest News

* 0 Comments

* Email

* Print

* Share With

o Mixx Mixx

o Digg Digg

o Facebook Facebook

o del.icio.us del.icio.us

o Reddit reddit

o Stumble Upon StumbleUpon

* News Archive

Rafa Benitez today revealed how talks over a new contract for Javier Mascherano are edging closer to a conclusion.

Video: Masch wins Player of Month>>

Related Links

Mascherano's current deal expires at the start of 2012 but Benitez is confident the midfielder will follow in the footsteps of players like Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Dirk Kuyt by committing his long-term future.

"We were talking, progressing and we're closer now. Still we need to talk a little bit but we are closer," the gaffer told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"It would be very important for the club. We have some important players with some years left on their contracts and this could be another one. It's very important that we're keeping the spine of the team.

"Every fan knows he's a very important player for us, a key player who's good for team spirit. He's an example for a lot of players.

"He shows every game his commitment, desire and passion. He has great character, but he can also play. He's a player every manager would like to have in their team."

He's a decent wrecking ball but he's fucking shit at playing the ball. Plus he seems to play at times like he has a mental handicap especially against the Mancs. I'd tell him to fuck off to Barcelona, I'd stick Lucas there who is equally adept at fouling and playing square balls and I'd sign a more dynamic box to box player.

He's a decent wrecking ball but he's fucking shit at playing the ball. Plus he seems to play at times like he has a mental handicap especially against the Mancs. I'd tell him to fuck off to Barcelona, I'd stick Lucas there who is equally adept at fouling and playing square balls and I'd sign a more dynamic box to box player.

A mental handicap? He was absolutely immense in our previous three games against them, even allowing for his red card in October.

Mascherano is an excellent player. I do not see any point in selling him. If we're ever going to play in any big games again, we need players like him. Besides, selling (in one year) the starting midfield pair of the team that finished 2nd does not seem that smart.

I agree with the original poster , but i dont think it came accross well :)

Masch is the best at what he does but for me we only need the guy in 10-15 games a year.The rest of the games he is too limited going forward.If Barca came in with a 30m bid we would be fools not to take it.There are plenty of mfs out there who can do 90% of what masch does and alot more going forward.

The real prob is our defence needs a total overhaul , they need too much protecting because of our lack of pace.

I agree with the original poster , but i dont think it came accross well :)

Masch is the best at what he does but for me we only need the guy in 10-15 games a year.The rest of the games he is too limited going forward.If Barca came in with a 30m bid we would be fools not to take it.There are plenty of mfs out there who can do 90% of what masch does and alot more going forward.

The real prob is our defence needs a total overhaul , they need too much protecting because of our lack of pace.

Makele was even more limited and teams managed to setup to incorporate him and still play well. Why couldn't the same be done with a player who is less limited?

Work it out , look at who makele had around him and who masch has around him.If we had world class players bombing forward then i would say keep him but the fact is we havent and we could do with the money to spend elsewhere.We already play way too defensive although im sure you can see that.

Work it out , look at who makele had around him and who masch has around him.If we had world class players bombing forward then i would say keep him but the fact is we havent and we could do with the money to spend elsewhere.We already play way too defensive although im sure you can see that.

Yeah, if only we had players like Tiago and Geremi to pair him with:whistle:

Yeah, ripping up trees since he went to Chelsea.

I'm still waiting for him to even match Makelele in his last season when he was about 33/34 and he's coming into his prime years.

Good, could be very good but not great for me.

Not on Masch's level.

He's had a couple of serious problems with injury recently, but he's a brilliant footballer. Possibly Chelsea's best player.

Makele was even more limited and teams managed to setup to incorporate him and still play well. Why couldn't the same be done with a player who is less limited?

Don't disagree at all. Look at Brazil with Gilberto Silva and before that Mauro Silva. Problem is we don't have enough money to buy the other players.

For me it's about value. If somone offers 30 million for Masch, you take that deal. We can use Lucas and buy a top class attacking player. You won't lose that much defensively and have more help going forward. Our biggest problem this year has been set pieces anyway and Masch can't help us there.

Don't disagree at all. Look at Brazil with Gilberto Silva and before that Mauro Silva. Problem is we don't have enough money to buy the other players.

For me it's about value. If somone offers 30 million for Masch, you take that deal. We can use Lucas and buy a top class attacking player. You won't lose that much defensively and have more help going forward. Our biggest problem this year has been set pieces anyway and Masch can't help us there.

The problem for me is your chances of winning again in BIG games recedes with Mascherano leaving. Remember that Chelsea game in the CL when we played Xabi and Lucas. We just weren't competitive. Benitez needs to find a way to use him in enough games to keep him around but few enough that were not sacrificing a creative option in games where that is more important. You would have thought with his penchant for rotation that would be a simple enough job. But inexplicably we've got nowhere close to a proper balance.

The problem for me is your chances of winning again in BIG games recedes with Mascherano leaving. Remember that Chelsea game in the CL when we played Xabi and Lucas. We just weren't competitive. Benitez needs to find a way to use him in enough games to keep him around but few enough that were not sacrificing a creative option in games where that is more important. You would have thought with his penchant for rotation that would be a simple enough job. But inexplicably we've got nowhere close to a proper balance.

The one thing Benitez cannot be accused of is having balanced teams. I'll give you that. Do remember that Chelsea game. Part of the problem was our defenders hoofing the ball over our midfielders heads. But I do take your point, against some teams we need a physical presence. The issue is, is a one dimensional player worth 30 million? If it were a young Viera or Keane (Roy) or Souness then definitely. I'd be happier getting 30 for Mascherano and spending 15 mill on Rodwell (though they'd never sell to us) and 15 on a forward.

The one thing Benitez cannot be accused of is having balanced teams. I'll give you that. Do remember that Chelsea game. Part of the problem was our defenders hoofing the ball over our midfielders heads. But I do take your point, against some teams we need a physical presence. The issue is, is a one dimensional player worth 30 million? If it were a young Viera or Keane (Roy) or Souness then definitely. I'd be happier getting 30 for Mascherano and spending 15 mill on Rodwell (though they'd never sell to us) and 15 on a forward.

It really depends what direction this team is going to go doesn't it. If Aquilani has a future here for example, his penchant for following space is going to leave his partner with so much space to cover that I can't see anyone other than Mascherano having a snowballs chance in hell of pulling it off.

If we stick with this deep, compact thing we've been doing then the trade-off you mention makes sense.

It would be a massive failing on Rafa's part if he can't put together a system that can accommodate Mascherano though.

When you say 'limited' do you mean, he doesn't wiggle his leg before he passes it or doesn't score from all angles?

I take it you do. Yes, good point,, why did we even sign that limited cretin Carragher. We surely should have signed Messi abnd put him anywhere in the back 4 as he would be better as is less limited.

And Essien is half the player Didi was, at best.

Guest Pistonbroke
He really isnt any good.

Everyone is allowed an opinion. But writing such utter nonsense just makes people suspect you are a manc twat on the wind up.