You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF Restaurant Thread

Why not? People are occasionally asking for recommendations for places to eat and that so I'll get the ball rolling..

Maharaja London Road

Reccomendations

Starter: Kerala Fish Fry (Poricha Meen)- King fish marinated in spicy paste of ginger, garlic and dried red chillies and fried

Main: Duck Olathu -Kerala Christian speciality. Duck cooked in a thick sauce with onion, ginger, garlic, coriander and other exotic spices.

Price

For 4 people we had 4 starters. 3 Main dishes. 2 Rice and 1 Naan. 3 Desserts. 3 Pints of Strongbow and 2 white wines.

Just over £90

Maharaja is possibly my favourite curry house ever and is nothing like I had ever tried before when I was first taken there and I would give it a 10/10 as every time I've been there (about 10 times) it's been a success.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the past couple of months, me and the mrs have been to a couple that have been worth rating here.

60 Hope St; usually a bit pricey but the early evening 3 course menu is excellent ( It was £18.95 each including a bottle of wine between 2, and was excellent ).

Jalons Bridewell ( off Duke St. ) - similar to the above - early evening menu - 2 courses for £14

On a cheaper effort , the all-world buffet in Liverpool One is spot on.

• 1 year later...

We should have a definitive restaurant thread on the GF. Make it so people.

Prego, Italian restaurant on Ormskirk Road, Aintree. Used to be the Manhattan by the Paradox. ( there is also one in Liverpool One, but I've not been to it )

Aintree

Lovely food, service is a little slow but no major problem. Food is quite cheap, around £25 for a starter for me and the wife, and two main courses like a Pizza and Spag Bol.

Ale is a bit pricey, around £3.50 a pint, but they do have Birra Moretti on tap which is tasty. Also has a massive cocktail bar, I don't mean like jugs of sex on the beach either, about 60 cocktails on the menu, Ice cream cocktails, Refresher cocktails which taste just like the sweets, loads. These tend to be about £5-£6 per glass.

• 3 weeks later...

On saturday night the wife and I were lucky enough to visit The Pipe and Glass Inn at South Dalton, a village not too far from Beverley, East Yorkshire, as we received a gift voucher as a wedding present earlier in the year. You turn down a small side street in the village, which terminates at the front of the Inn, the building effectively blocking the road and sitting on an entrance to the Dalton Park Estate.

pub5463a.jpg

This is East Yorkshire's one and only Michelin-starred eatery, but don't be fooled into thinking that its a bit artsy-farty - this is a proper pub that just happens to serve absolutely amazing food. There's a public bar at the front of house, serving locally brewed ales, with a lounge to the side complete with an open log fire and a chalk specials board where you sit whilst looking through the menu and munching on olives and tiny tiny locally produced sausages. The Inn dates back to the 15th century, with additions made in the 17th and also more recently, but somehow they've managed to blend it all in so you dont notice the joins. The restaurant part of the Inn sits to the rear, and is all wood and neutral colours. As you'd expect all the food is locally sourced and traceable, and absolutely amazing. To start the wife had deep fried rabbit rissoles with air-dried ham, sorrel, and a caper and cockle vinaigrette, whilst i had a guinea fowl and ham hock ballontine with pease pudding, scampi fritter and pea shoots. After that it was Leven duck three ways for the wife (breast, confit leg and a duck fritter) that came with celeriac puree and braised damsons, whilst I was a bloody bloke and had fillet of English beef with pickled red onion and watercress salad, ‘Yorkshire Blue’ cheese fritter, green peppercorn sauce and hand cut chips. Finally it was a chocolate plate for the wife, consiting of five differnet chocolate thingys, and although I usually skip this course I had some inder toffee ice cream with chocolate honeycomb bites to cleanse my pallette, because by this point I was a bit pissed having drunk a whole bottle of Pinot Noir to myself as the wife is preggers.

All in all 9.5/10, the only reason Im not giving it the full monty is because whilst the desserts were lovely, they weren't quite up to the standard of the other courses. The portions were generous, although exquisite and defined, and more substantial than you'd probably expect from a Michelin starred restaurant. Not poncey in the slightest, as I said earlier this is a proper pub serving absolutely amazing food.

PS - one of our mains was the most expensive (mine, omnomnom) and the wifes dessert was by far and away the most expensive, but basically we had pre-dinner drinks, three courses, and a bottle of wine for £115, which, for food of this standard, I thought was rather good (plus the fact that nearly half of it was paid for as a wedding present - awooga).

On saturday night the wife and I were lucky enough to visit The Pipe and Glass Inn at South Dalton, a village not too far from Beverley, East Yorkshire, as we received a gift voucher as a wedding present earlier in the year. You turn down a small side street in the village, which terminates at the front of the Inn, the building effectively blocking the road and sitting on an entrance to the Dalton Park Estate.

pub5463a.jpg

This is East Yorkshire's one and only Michelin-starred eatery, but don't be fooled into thinking that its a bit artsy-farty - this is a proper pub that just happens to serve absolutely amazing food. There's a public bar at the front of house, serving locally brewed ales, with a lounge to the side complete with an open log fire and a chalk specials board where you sit whilst looking through the menu and munching on olives and tiny tiny locally produced sausages. The Inn dates back to the 15th century, with additions made in the 17th and also more recently, but somehow they've managed to blend it all in so you dont notice the joins. The restaurant part of the Inn sits to the rear, and is all wood and neutral colours. As you'd expect all the food is locally sourced and traceable, and absolutely amazing. To start the wife had deep fried rabbit rissoles with air-dried ham, sorrel, and a caper and cockle vinaigrette, whilst i had a guinea fowl and ham hock ballontine with pease pudding, scampi fritter and pea shoots. After that it was Leven duck three ways for the wife (breast, confit leg and a duck fritter) that came with celeriac puree and braised damsons, whilst I was a bloody bloke and had fillet of English beef with pickled red onion and watercress salad, ‘Yorkshire Blue’ cheese fritter, green peppercorn sauce and hand cut chips. Finally it was a chocolate plate for the wife, consiting of five differnet chocolate thingys, and although I usually skip this course I had some inder toffee ice cream with chocolate honeycomb bites to cleanse my pallette, because by this point I was a bit pissed having drunk a whole bottle of Pinot Noir to myself as the wife is preggers.

All in all 9.5/10, the only reason Im not giving it the full monty is because whilst the desserts were lovely, they weren't quite up to the standard of the other courses. The portions were generous, although exquisite and defined, and more substantial than you'd probably expect from a Michelin starred restaurant. Not poncey in the slightest, as I said earlier this is a proper pub serving absolutely amazing food.

PS - one of our mains was the most expensive (mine, omnomnom) and the wifes dessert was by far and away the most expensive, but basically we had pre-dinner drinks, three courses, and a bottle of wine for £115, which, for food of this standard, I thought was rather good (plus the fact that nearly half of it was paid for as a wedding present - awooga).

Gay.

East z East on the Dock, right by the ECHO Arena and the Liverpool wheel.

By far and away the greatest Indian restaurant in Liverpool. Been there twice in the past month, and the food is absolutely sensational. It's a swanky place, but it's reasonably priced (looking at around £30 per person for poppadoms to start with, a starter, main course, naan and two drinks), the decor is lovely, the service is fantastic, and the bird who shows you to your seat is absolutely unbelievable.

Make sure you get the mix platter starter (works out £5.50 per person): you get samosas, chicken wings, chicken boti, lamb boti, shish kebab and fish tikka (which is the nicest fish dish I've ever tasted).

Cannot recommend the place enough. It's fast becoming my favourite eatery anywhere.

pub5463a.jpg

Ignore the philistines. Sounds like my kind of place

• 4 months later...

Went to the Italian club fish on bold street tonight with the missus. Top notch it was.

I had a saute of mussel, clam, white fish and cockle starter with a tomato and basil sauce with bread, she had calamari and king prawns to start. Both of us had half a lobster for main, hers grilled with parmasan crust and me just steamed with garlic butter and lemon. Served with cherry tomato spaghetti on the side and a salad. Cheese cake between us for afters.

Food was fantastic, establishment great and the service top notch. With a pint and a large rose came to £71 but with the application of my Hi-Life diners club card that was reduced to £49 inc service.

Would highly recommend to anyone.

Menu here

Casa Italia on Stanley Street, off Dale street I think it was. Round that area anyway.

Great little authentic Italian looking place, Italian waiters, really friendly fellas they were. The food was great, and I know nothing about prices, but apparent £80 for 5 of us was great.

And they played the Godfather music to top it off!

Went to the Italian club fish on bold street tonight with the missus. Top notch it was.

I had a saute of mussel, clam, white fish and cockle starter with a tomato and basil sauce with bread, she had calamari and king prawns to start. Both of us had half a lobster for main, hers grilled with parmasan crust and me just steamed with garlic butter and lemon. Served with cherry tomato spaghetti on the side and a salad. Cheese cake between us for afters.

Food was fantastic, establishment great and the service top notch. With a pint and a large rose came to £71 but with the application of my Hi-Life diners club card that was reduced to £49 inc service.

Menu here

That sounds amazing, I have to go there.

Menu here

OOOOOER!

Kenneth-Williams-4_1202838c.jpg&sa=X&ei=NKEYT9W_HZKV8gOupbmZCw&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEujWaNZY_8DyTNB3siyYph_X0htQ

East z East on the Dock, right by the ECHO Arena and the Liverpool wheel.

By far and away the greatest Indian restaurant in Liverpool. Been there twice in the past month, and the food is absolutely sensational. It's a swanky place, but it's reasonably priced (looking at around £30 per person for poppadoms to start with, a starter, main course, naan and two drinks), the decor is lovely, the service is fantastic, and the bird who shows you to your seat is absolutely unbelievable.

Make sure you get the mix platter starter (works out £5.50 per person): you get samosas, chicken wings, chicken boti, lamb boti, shish kebab and fish tikka (which is the nicest fish dish I've ever tasted).

Cannot recommend the place enough. It's fast becoming my favourite eatery anywhere.

Got to agree with you there mate! Was there for the xmas night out. The fish is amazing!

Well worth a visit and the prices are very good.

Had an 8oz steak in the popular Walton Vale gastro-pub (zero Michelin-stars), the 'Wetherspoons', last night.

So exclusive is t'spoons that they use the most exclusive cuts of meat.

Steaks served by some big restaurant chains have been found to come from beef cattle interbred with the zebu.

One steak bought at a JD Wetherspoon pub was 67 per cent zebu - from the hardy, humped cattle which originated in India and whose meat tends to be tougher than British beef.

Four out of six steaks sampled at Wetherspoon's contained DNA from the animal, analysis showed.

Three out of nine steaks sold by Greene King's Hungry Horse pub chain also tested positive for zebu, yet neither company identified the meat's origin on its menus

Daily Hail

This is what a Zebu looks like, not sure if it has two humps or not?

028zebu_468x344.jpg

And how was it? What sides did you get? How much did it costs?

These are the Spoons questions that life needs answers to.

After being seated and helping myself to a flagon of their quaint, presumably locally-sourced cider ('Strong Bow'), I opted for their £8.50 8oz rump steak and pint deal - a choice cut of zebu, cooked to my preference along with some peas, chips and salad.

It was very average. The zebu was quite fatty although it was rare as I had requested the chips were ok though. My dad got a black pudding as a surprise side with his steak. He asked the waitress why there was a black pudding with his steak as he had asked for a baked potato - the reply?

"The chef had ran out of baked potatoes so he gave you a black pudding instead."

Oki-doki...

So exclusive is t'spoons that they use the most exclusive cuts of meat.

This is what a Zebu looks like, not sure if it has two humps or not?

At least it is not horse, I suppose.