You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

funkster

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Gone very deux ex machina and many of the eps are singularly weak. RTD had subtle running themes like Bad Wolf but Moffs 'crack in the wall' and River/Amy/Rory bollix is boring me. It's more like Enid Blyton... Four Go Mad in...

Rather watch All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace

Stand alones? Certainly not this season as much as many previous seasons.

Yep, the 'Pirate' story was especially weak and looked cheap. Think Tennant got stronger stories til it went sillier. Blink, Girl in the Fireplace, Family of Blood, Silence in the Library, Midnight etc I find more memorable than any served by Smith.

Is it only me who's tired of the perpetual wankfest over this utterly underwhelming (kids') show? It's like an endless fucking Star Trek convention in the media whenever there's a series on.

Yes, it's only you. Now fuck off.

Yep, the 'Pirate' story was especially weak and looked cheap. Think Tennant got stronger stories til it went sillier. Blink, Girl in the Fireplace, Family of Blood, Silence in the Library, Midnight etc I find more memorable than any served by Smith.

I prefer Smith to Tennant. That's not to say Tennant was bad, not at all. But Smith's Doctor has more to him. The pirate story was weak, but the rest of the series has been strong. Don't forget, last series was a new Doctor, and new production team finding their feet. And it's interesting to see that of the five episodes you've quoted above, three were written by Moffat.

Got mixed feelings about both this series and the last one. Moffatt's brilliant for me with his own writing, and his aesthetic influence is a good thing for the show... His version is darker, better grounded for the most part, more richly textured. I'm not sold on the balance and chemistry of the cast though, and the series arcs haven't convinced me at all. The "cracks in time" thing just seems dull and contrived as a way of tying threads of story together, and they'd be better off letting certain stories stand alone rather than trying to make everything relevant to whatever epic through-line they're trying to sell.

That said though, there have been some superb stories when Moffatt does what he does best. He wrote almost all the best stories of the Tennant years, and he's done some absolute corkers so far. Maybe the new cast will grow on me the way Tennant did (he annoyed me at first the way Smith does now), and if the episodic writing stays strong while that happens I'll carry on watching. There's fuck all on telly over here otherwise.

Most of them was pretty stand alone though, so am not sure what angle you are coming from on this one.

On the current storyline, the whole River/Doctor your first/my last arc has been just mindboggling. If you actually start to think about it you'll confuse yourself, something I've done since last weeks at least twice.

On the current storyline, the whole River/Doctor your first/my last arc has been just mindboggling. If you actually start to think about it you'll confuse yourself, something I've done since last weeks at least twice.

The lack of a resolution annoys me. I don't even know who in a spacesuit 'killed' Smith in ep1. I suppose it comes down to taste but I'm getting fatigued by the ambiguous endings. Tbh I also find Rory's transition from average Joe to Russell Crowe sword-wielding gladiator a bit fanciful.

The lack of a resolution annoys me. I don't even know who in a spacesuit 'killed' Smith in ep1. I suppose it comes down to taste but I'm getting fatigued by the ambiguous endings. Tbh I also find Rory's transition from average Joe to Russell Crowe sword-wielding gladiator a bit fanciful.

The person that killed him was:

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

River song. It was briefly touched upon in a flashback in the last episode.

• 3 months later...

Hadn't realized this started again back in August. Been catching up over the weekend. A bit mixed so far.

Hitler episode: quite good

Scared little boy ep: a bit shit

Aging ginger ep: good start, then average

Minotaur Hotel: meh, all too familiar

After watching the finale I'm a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

The last couple of seasons have been really hard work to keep up with with the back and forth timey wimey story arcs and I think it needs to ditch the whole River Song stuff and even Amy & Rory are pissing me off as well (Gillan is still fit though).

Hopefully as I say its time for a change in direction before Moffatt disappears up his own arse in cleverness.

• 5 months later...

Matt Smith has grown on me a lot. He still gabbles too much of his dialogue, but he's good, very good.

Amy Pond is also a great companion, but I can take or leave Rory and I fucking HATE River Song.

I suppose my major problem with Moffat's tenure has been this: I don't watch the programme every week, and never have. But I've found with the last two series that I very often have NO fucking clue what's going on.

The story arcs that moffat has written for Smith and co are just way too complicated. Fucking Rory's died about three times, he's been cloned, Amy Pomd has been pregnant, or not, and also been cloned, Dr Who himself has been cloned, and also miniaturised, and River Song is Amy's kid, and the Doctor's husband. Or something.

It's all over the fucking place.

I still love it, though, but I worry that the mainstream Saturday evening audience will continue to drift away, and the budget will shrink and it'll die again

Matt Smith has grown on me a lot. He still gabbles too much of his dialogue, but he's good, very good.

Amy Pond is also a great companion, but I can take or leave Rory and I fucking HATE River Song.

I suppose my major problem with Moffat's tenure has been this: I don't watch the programme every week, and never have. But I've found with the last two series that I very often have NO fucking clue what's going on.

The story arcs that moffat has written for Smith and co are just way too complicated. Fucking Rory's died about three times, he's been cloned, Amy Pomd has been pregnant, or not, and also been cloned, Dr Who himself has been cloned, and also miniaturised, and River Song is Amy's kid, and the Doctor's husband. Or something.

It's all over the fucking place.

I still love it, though, but I worry that the mainstream Saturday evening audience will continue to drift away, and the budget will shrink and it'll die again

Matt Smith is good (not Tennant good but good) until he shares airtime with Alex Kingston.

Then I'm really sorry he was ever broken out of that Pandorica.

She is a cunt who has utterly ruined the show, and the flirting has been one of the biggest most cringeworthy low points in the history of the show.

Karen Gillan was superb mind, even if they did totally ruin her backstory,