You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC has this?

1910: We are still waiting on line-ups from Anfield tonight, but one player who won't be featuring for Liverpool against Lille is Albert Riera. Reports are coming in that the Spanish winger has been suspended by his club for his outburst about Rafa Benitez.

Seems over the top considering what Babel has got away with in the past.

BBC has this?

1910: We are still waiting on line-ups from Anfield tonight, but one player who won't be featuring for Liverpool against Lille is Albert Riera. Reports are coming in that the Spanish winger has been suspended by his club for his outburst about Rafa Benitez.

Rafa wants to make sure he understands he's not wanted here next year.

Guest PurpleNose
BBC has this?

Babel has always denied the stories coming from the Dutch press though hasn't he?

Where does Sammy Lee fit into all of this?

That's a bit where my problem with all this "poor man management" is. It used to be good cop, bad cop, Ayesteran and Benitez. Then the good cop left.

Who's the good cop these days? Lee? Pellegrino? If Benitez is still doing the bad cop stuff, and people are complaining about nobody doing the "arms around the shoulder" thing, the question is why is that not happening or is that not happening? Has Benitez forbidden it? Are the good cops not doing their jobs? Or could it be as simple that things go on as normal and that some underperforming players are trying to explain away their own incompetence on the pitch.

RIERA BANNED FOR RAFA REMARKS | Football Transfer News, Football News, Fixtures, Results, Match Reports, Stats

RIERA BANNED FOR RAFA REMARKS By Carl Markham, Press Association Sport

Barclays Prem To Be in Top 4 Win Outright: Liverpool 5/2

Click here to follow us on Twitter!

Click here for our special Transfer Centre!

Click here for more football headlines!

Liverpool winger Albert Riera has been suspended by the club for his outspoken attack on manager Rafael Benitez and the club.

The Spain international has been disciplined by Benitez and told not to return to the Merseysiders' Melwood training ground until Monday, it is understood.

Riera launched a critical broadside at Benitez, claiming he did not speak to him, and described Liverpool as a "sinking ship".

Benitez is believed to be fuming about the timing of the interview, which was broadcast less than 24 hours before the crucial Europa League last-16 second leg at home to Lille, and has taken swift action to discipline the player.

Same thing has happened to Babel, he's said similar things about not getting any feedback.

He also said

"I have had a good talk with the manager and I know what I have to do," the Dutchman said. "That is what I am going to concentrate on. I just have to try to be patient, keep working hard and doing my best."

Not sure how this is any different to any other club, if a player is in the clubs plans he's happy with the coaches/manager, if he's not in the plans then it's the nasty manager picking on him.

Suspended & Transfer Listed

Albert Riera was on Thursday suspended and transfer listed by Liverpool after his scathing attack on manager Rafael Benitez, in which he suggested his countryman was in charge of a “sinking ship,” as it emerged that the Spanish international had been ostracised from the club’s first team squad following an altercation with a teenage reserve player.

I see Albert, that you would like to leave the club, which is fine. However, you don't seem to want to hand in a transfer request and forgo your pay off. Bad form Albert. Personally, I'd make you train with the under 16's and leave you to rot at The Academy watching their games. Then there'll be no place in the Spanish World Cup squad for you.