You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest LFD

I mean on paper, I am amazed how United are creating numerous chances in games, challenging for the title, still in the Champs League and already winning a Cup this season.

I really don't think they are any better than us on paper.

They are highly reliant on Rooney and if anything we have more top class attacking threats as we have two world beaters (on form) in Torres and Gerrard.

Not only that they should have been really hindered this summer by losing Ronaldo and Tevez this season - more than we should have been hurt by losing Alonso and Arbeloa (the later who has been upgraded by Johnson).

They have even had numerous injuries in defense, losing eight defenders at one point and having to play Carrick and Fletcher in central defense.

Reina, Johnson, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres would all walk into the United first team - with some others probably being close such as Benayoun for example.

I guess that's what a world class manager in Ferguson offers, getting the best out of players, unlike Benitez this season. He tells his players to go out and play, create chances and it pays off.

If we got a manager like Mourinho in the summer, I think he could get the best out of our players, who on paper should be challenging for the title. There is not too much wrong with our team (on paper), we just need a change to give the players a lift, some optimism and get them performing... as at present everything is flat and I believe our manager has gone stale.

A good change in the summer and there is no reason why we can't be challenging for the title, as we did last season... but that's what has to happen, a change and the right one.

Edited by LFD

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A league like last year and they'd be a distant 3rd at best. They are lucky that as they are waining, the people who could have challenged them for the title have wained even more. If they are given a tough draw in the CL they will go out easily. BIG if though.

What I don't get his how people claim Rafa is at best average (some claim he's shite) in the transfer market and has been worse in it over the past few seasons yet the general thought is that the side isn't that far off the side that is currently holding the title and top spot.

Nearly everyone at our club has under-performed this season, to differing degrees obviously, and certain players for them have moved forward. We need to regroup in the summer, forget about this twat of a season and move forward. As fuckin' one.

They have a manager who lets opposition worry about them knowing they have better players than most and he lets them play with a certain freedom. Torres would score 50 a season for them or Arsenal.

Yet Arse & the Mancs both have higher footballing budgets than us so can always outbid us but didn't think he was worth what we paid......

Whilst the man who you think is poor in the transfer market acted, they turned down a "50 goal a season" striker for a relatively cheap price.

You can't have it both ways.

It's a pity we don't play on paper.

united have an attitude of mind when they play other teams that we used to have back in the day.

They believe they will win games and play accordingly, it scares the crap out of 80% of the teams they play and as such they have an advantage before a ball is kicked.

Not counting the psychological advantage they have over officials who don't seem to like upsetting them too much.

they know how to win and have one of the best managers in history who has over 20 years of success stamped on the team.

He has had some poor seasons too though but he attacks and that is what the prem is about.

I am more fucked off about our injuries but maybe that is a managerial issue too and not just luck.

I think our first 11 is excellent but have our best 11 acually played together this season?

Yet Arse & the Mancs both have higher footballing budgets than us so can always outbid us but didn't think he was worth what we paid......

Whilst the man who you think is poor in the transfer market acted, they turned down a "50 goal a season" striker for a relatively cheap price.

You can't have it both ways.

If you are referring to torres, then he turned fergie down many times. There are quotes to prove it I think

What I don't get his how people claim Rafa is at best average (some claim he's shite) in the transfer market and has been worse in it over the past few seasons yet the general thought is that the side isn't that far off the side that is currently holding the title and top spot.

Nearly everyone at our club has under-performed this season, to differing degrees obviously, and certain players for them have moved forward. We need to regroup in the summer, forget about this twat of a season and move forward. As fuckin' one.

I have little problem with Rafa in the transfer market when he's spent big (over £10 million), he has had far more hits and misses, some being vast hits.

When he has spent under £10 million his success rate has been not half as good... which is what you'd expect.

But the problem is we don't have lots of funds, therefore we need a manager to get the most out of players, picks the right team, makes the right subs and gets them to perform and feel confident to express themselves - all of which Benitez has failed at, certainly this season.

Edited by LFD

If you are referring to torres, then he turned fergie down many times. There are quotes to prove it I think

That is almost certainly nonsense but if this "50 goal a season" striker turned down "Fergie", as you call him, but wanted to play for Rafa, how is that possibly anything other than a massive positive for Benitez?

Lfd you make a good point

if rafa can't work under the constraints that the owners have created, isn't it right to find a manager who can do well given our circumstances. Managers all over the world work on a budget

not saying him but look at hodgson. Never been a big spender but does alright with what he has. Gets the best out of his players

That is almost certainly nonsense but if this "50 goal a season" striker turned down Fergie but wanted to play for Rafa, how is that possibly anything other than a massive positive for Benitez?

It isn't nonsense. There are quotes from fergie where he said he tried to get torres 3 or 4 times but torres kept saying no

it is a plus for rafa. Not denying he has done good things for theclub. Just don't think his tactics fit in with the prem requirements

and I think the fact it was Liverpool also attracted torres

Ferguson isn't a shithouse with his tactics, he is a better manager and tends to learn from his mistakes and accept when he has made them. If he was our manager and had the same resources as Rafa we would not be the laughing stock we are this season. Hopefully Mourinho will come here so we can challenge united.

I have little problem with Rafa in the transfer market when he's spent big (over £10 million), he has had far more hits and misses, some being vast hits.

When he has spent under £10 million his success rate has been not half as good... which is what you'd expect.

But the problem is we don't have lots of funds, therefore we need a manager to get the most out of players, pick the right team, make the right subs and get them to perform and feel confident to express themselves - all of which Benitez has failed at, certainly this season.

It was more of a general comment than being a everyone who wants him out says this.

He has failed at it this season but I think over the cause of his tenure he's done a decent enough job at it. I don't get how a manager can get the side he got to win the European Cup can be classed as a not a good motivator.

This again is why I think he should be allowed another season. Nearly every critic of him this season he has proved he can do in previous seasons. It's this season that everything has gone west. If that was to carry on next season then fair do's but I think after his achievements for us he deserves the chance to see.

Lfd you make a good point

if rafa can't work under the constraints that the owners have created, isn't it right to find a manager who can do well given our circumstances. Managers all over the world work on a budget

not saying him but look at hodgson. Never been a big spender but does alright with what he has. Gets the best out of his players

Thing is with managers like Hodgson is that he's at a club where nothing is really expected of him. He doesn't have to go out and beat teams. Totally different side of the game.

We proved last season that you can make only a few mistakes if you wanna win the league but without that pressure it's easier to operate.

He has failed at it this season but I think over the cause of his tenure he's done a decent enough job at it. I don't get how a manager can get the side he got to win the European Cup can be classed as a not a good motivator.

I will tell you why I think he is.

He has managed to get the players to perform in big games. Well I'm sorry, but how hard is it to motivate Gerrard and co. against Real, Barca, Chelsea, Milan etc?

Not taking anything away from those victories, but all players get motivated for big games.

The best managers get the players up against the small teams and get them to perform. Benitez hasn't been able to do this consistantly in the six season's he has had in the job - hence only one title chalenge in that time and numerous slip ups against Stoke etc.