You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Portsmouth Match Thread

PaulMcC

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest regret about tonight is that of what might have been. Had we adopted such an approach throughout the season surely we'd be in the mix for the title!

Glad we won, but frustrated we've had so much dross all season, because even though we have our faults and are far from the finished article, we are a much better side than we've shown for most of this season.

Story of the last six years. I just wish the manager could see that.

Thinking back over the match, the thing that sticks out in my head is that the trio of Torres, Gerrard, Aquilani really seemed to enjoy playing together. The cheeky little turns and touches, the odd back-heel, one-touch stuff. What it makes you realize is how fucked Nando & Stevie's body language has been lately. Hopefully they can carry on with the positivity and keep expressing themselves, having a little fun -- because god knows, when those two are tails-up and in their stride, they're phenomenal.

Thinking back over the match, the thing that sticks out in my head is that the trio of Torres, Gerrard, Aquilani really seemed to enjoy playing together. The cheeky little turns and touches, the odd back-heel, one-touch stuff. What it makes you realize is how fucked Nando & Stevie's body language has been lately. Hopefully they can carry on with the positivity and keep expressing themselves, having a little fun -- because god knows, when those two are tails-up and in their stride, they're phenomenal.

Liverpool+v+Portsmouth+Premier+League+XFVkp8DhdxEl.jpg

I concur.

no they didn't press and mark tight, but they did have a physical presence in the midfield. I would rather go for Utd's throat, as I believe their weakness is their defence. If we dominate possession, and provide quality distribution to our advanced players, let them do the work. We should be able to give United enough to worry about. If Mascherano is fit, I'd play with the same starting 11 against United. If he isn't, we may have to play a more defensively minded player in left midfield. What we don't want to do is give away possession cheaply. Bringing back Lucas and <shudder> Kuyt will be like inviting Utd to do us up the bum repeatedly.

Hmmm, I dunno the game plan we've used the last couple of times has worked and doesn't require us to all of a sudden be able to play fluent pass and move while under pressure. Something we've failed miserably at all season. There are signs that when everyone is on the same wavelength that we have the players to do it, but I don't think now is that time.

I wouldn't read too much into yesterday's performance, portsmouth didn't want to win, most of them are clearly saving themselves for the shop window of the FA cup.

There were some really nice passing moves last night and I'll admit I really enjoyed watching that last night for the first time in a long time.

I thought everybody played well, without having to get out of second gear as a team. Thats the sort of performance I expect from us whenever a team lies down like that.

Aquilani demonstrated the vision and execution that we have been missing all season since Xabi went to Real. I think Rafa has waited too long to introduce him, however I think he wanted him fully fit and ready to his expectation, not ours or the players, and this has been one of the may irritations this season. I don't for one minute believe this lad is going to be a flop. I see something crazy in those bog eyes of his.

Maxi and Babel also stood out for me, as many others too judging by mom thread. It was nice to see other players standing up to the plate.

One thing that has took the shine of it all has to be Gerrard's rabbit punch on Brown. Yes Brown is a cunt, and deserves nothing less than what happened, but there was no need for Gerrard to do that, all he had to do was put a match winning crunch tackle on him.

Last night I was fuming with him, as he just had a look of disdain when he was sat on the bench like a bully in school who feels he was justified to batter one of the IT geeky kids for being different, but it appeared that he was looking at Rafa, not looking to much into it as it could have been the timing of when the camera panned to him on the bench. But he had that 'I was justified doing wat I did' look on his face

It could also potentially could have took the shine off a good win from a team low in confidence. Luckily, it seems the media are more focused on Mourinho's return to Stamford Bridge.

I won't be surprised if he gets reprimanded for it either, and he can't complain at all. I've been very critical of Gerrard recently and I felt he can do without doing anything stupid like that, he played well last night but it ruined his performance for me.

What did please me was the amount of encouragement being given to each other when things didn't quite come off. There seemed a real spirit out there last night, especially from Aquilani and Torres. The pair of them always offering praise, especially to Babel and Insua .

A good stepping stone for the next game, lets go out and do the same to Lille and then United.

Guest Pistonbroke
Not even fucking close bout Gerrars - he shouøld give up his armband NOW.

The sulking lad yea - cant see his contributi0n to the teAM - gIVE ME pepe or masch - maybe carra in a bad day!

Do you type in the dark ?

Was great seeing more players looking to get in the box and support Torres and Gerrard.

Aquilani was constantly getting into the box, it caused the opposition problems and the movement between Torres, Gerrard and Aquilani was superb which gave Maxi / Babel plenty of options when they were in possession.

Really enjoyed last night.

It's amazing when you play with pace, ambition and attacking minded football isn't it?

It's also amazing to have your best players back and play the worst team in the league.

I saw no more or less attacking intent in this game than in any other game we've played so far, just a bit more confidence. Much of that was probably caused by the return of key players, the early goal and the comical lack of ability of the away side both in attack and defence. Wigan are much better going forward than Pompey.

Just look at how much more space our attacking players were allowed. Can anyone remember Gerrard receiving so many balls from our midfield this season? Their pressing was much more lazier than any other team we've played this season, and it paid dividends. I don't expect this trend to continue though.

It's cringeworthy the way this game is being lauded as evidence that all that's needed is for Rafa to send the team out to attack. I agree with the general observation that Benitez is too cautious, but this game didn't prove anything in isolation.

It's also amazing to have your best players back and play the worst team in the league.

I saw no more or less attacking intent in this game than in any other game we've played so far, just a bit more confidence. Much of that was probably caused by the return of key players, the early goal and the comical lack of ability of the away side both in attack and defence. Wigan are much better going forward than Pompey.

Just look at how much more space our attacking players were allowed. Can anyone remember Gerrard receiving so many balls from our midfield this season? Their pressing was much more lazier than any other team we've played this season, and it paid dividends. I don't expect this trend to continue though.

It's cringeworthy the way this game is being lauded as evidence that all that's needed is for Rafa to send the team out to attack. I agree with the general observation that Benitez is too cautious, but this game didn't prove anything in isolation.

You dont think we attacked more last night? We had 3/4 players in the box almost everytime we attacked and that hasn't happend all season. We were also a constant threat on their goal and that hasn't happened either since the the Hull game no matter who has been fit or who we've been playing against.

One game can never prove anything but it was amazing how many people were saying before the match that, whereas the couldn't be arsed beforehand, they now were actually looking forward to it cos he's put out and attacking line up. That's because we've all become used to his defensive mindset even though the option to be more attacking is definately there.

We've had Aquilani fit for months but he has constantly chosen Lucas alongside Mascherano - a combination which doesn't offer enough in possession and last night highlighted why.

Kuyt plays every game usually under Rafa, whether in form or not, but last night again showed against the weaker teams in this league we don't need his graft, we need the craft that others can provide.

Our best players played against Wigan and we were crap, but then again Rafa chose the wrong players and team - something he has done the majority of this season.

Gerrard looked really happy when Aquilani scored. He must be a good lad or they really rate him.

Should've been about 8 if we didn't start over passing it. We were trying to walk it in at times.

I was walking to the Salisbury, or 12th Man as they've started calling it, and some wankers behind me were saying ''Once them dickheads started protesting, we concede a goal, it happened last time they protested too.'' I couldn't believe it, they were Scouse and about 45-50 and they think we shouldn't be singing against the owners? There must be loads like that.

I want Kuyt and Lucas back in the team for Old Trafford. Until Aquilani learns to put his foot in he won't play at places like Old Trafford.

Well Lucas at least. maybe Gerrard wide right and leave Aquilani in, but behind Torres. Wouldn't play Babel either.

If you look at Aquilani's goal he is the furthest forward Liverpool player which is something is evident from watching the lad play is something he likes to do.

We played football at times last night that seems to have been a lifetime since we witnessed it.

You can say its only Portsmouth but ime sure i wasn't alone in fearing the worst with our run of form.

The result could have been a lot more but i think at 3-0 the game was over so its understandable with the matches coming up that we took our foot off the gas a little.

We have showed we can pass the ball and attack so there is no excuse for not doing the same against Lille who in all fairness whilst leading us 1-0 i don't think are anything special.