You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rhone group in talks over 100mil takeover.

gingerhulk

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pistonbroke
I've got that sinking feeling again.

This ain't good.

When Hicks and Gillette took over from Moores i was one of very few ( another forum ) who said " all that glitters isn't gold and didn't trust them." How i wish i'd been proven wrong. It's now getting to the stage where i don't trust anybody in football any more, it's all about money and not the club.

I have been googling away. I found someoen on teh Echo's forum claiming that there wasa story on 'an LFC Forum' late last week naming Rhone and a comoany called Muse as potential private equity investors, and saying that they had past dealings with HIcks.

HICKS USING RHONE GROUP TO PUSH GILLETTE OUT OF LFC MAJORITY | Forums | icNorthwest

I've also found 2 judgments from New York in a fraud claim by investors against Rhone. Rhone had tried to strike out the claim before a trial on legal grounds, and lost before the judge but won on appeal last year. The basis for winning was that the plaintiffs were a big company and shoudl have done due dilligence. There was no need for a trial and so the fraud allegations were never determined one way or another. Fraud claims are pretty commonplace from failed investors so this hardly means that Rhone are a bunch of crooks, but it does mean that the club willhave to do its homework and keep a close eye on the finances before making any agreement. Having said that, research also shows that the group is very solvent and supports the idea that they will not be lending.

http://www.criminallawlibraryblog.com/NY_AppDiv1_SlipOp_03-05-09.pdf

Sky News have dismissed the story saying that a takeover is unlikely as the offer is too low.

New US bid for Reds set to fail

Sky Sports News understands that a proposed £100million investment in Liverpool, is unlikely to go ahead.

Reports suggest that private US equity firm - Rhone Group - were set to seal a deal to invest in Anfield.

It is claimed that Rhone Group wanted to take a 40 per cent stake in the club - reducing the holdings of current joint owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

But Sky Sports News has been told that the offer is unlikely to go ahead and should not be taken too seriously by Liverpool fans.

The deal has been described as a 'non-significant' offer, although it was confirmed that talks had taken place.

It is understood that Reds chief executive Christian Purslow has been working to find outside investors and previously stated he wanted to secure a deal by Easter.

However, the offer from the Rhone Group - which is the first real positive result of Purslow's wide-ranging search - and potentially could have slashed the club's debt by half, looks set to be rejected.

The Rhone Group was founded in 1995, has its headquarters in New York with other offices in London and Paris and describes itself as "one of the world's leading mid-market private equity firms".

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | New US bid for Reds set to fail

New US bid for Reds set to fail

Sky Sports News understands that a proposed £100million investment in Liverpool, is unlikely to go ahead.

Reports suggest that private US equity firm - Rhone Group - were set to seal a deal to invest in Anfield.

It is claimed that Rhone Group wanted to take a 40 per cent stake in the club - reducing the holdings of current joint owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

But Sky Sports News has been told that the offer is unlikely to go ahead and should not be taken too seriously by Liverpool fans.

The deal has been described as a 'non-significant' offer, although it was confirmed that talks had taken place.

It is understood that Reds chief executive Christian Purslow has been working to find outside investors and previously stated he wanted to secure a deal by Easter.

However, the offer from the Rhone Group - which is the first real positive result of Purslow's wide-ranging search - and potentially could have slashed the club's debt by half, looks set to be rejected.

The Rhone Group was founded in 1995, has its headquarters in New York with other offices in London and Paris and describes itself as "one of the world's leading mid-market private equity firms".

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | New US bid for Reds set to fail

Pleased with that - the longer they try to hang on the less they'll be able to demand. Essentially they are in a "Buyers market" for the moment and they don't realise it yet.

Right, I'm off work sick and I've spent the last hour researching this lot.

Conclusions -

1. They're proper money men, not half-baked amateurs like the two twats.

2. That means they will have some definite strategy.

3. They are unlikely to add any more funds after the initial investment.

4. The plan is for the value of their stake to grow.

5. The only way for the value of a stake to grow is for the club to become more valuable;

6. The only obvious ways to become more valuable over the medium term are (a) to cut the debt and (b) to build the stadium.

7. They will cut the debt.

8. They will look for other investorsto get on board to cut the debt andput up funds for the stadium.

9. That MIGHT force H&G out.

10. Or it might force a stalemate, but at least Rhone would have a controlling interest -ASSUMING that the two twats' interest is 30% each and not a block of 60%.

11. Once the debt is down and the stadium is secured Rhone will look to sell their interest to the highest bidder(s).

All in all I am cautiously optimistic. Anyone who loves the club wants to see the back of the two twats, but that comes second to the generalinterst of the club. If we can dilute their influence in a way that means we can go forward with lower debt and a good chance of a new ground, this could be positive news. Even if there are some past links between Hicks & Rhone, I think that a private equity group has to act with profitin mind at all times and so in no way will do favours to the current owners. I Think their stategy wil be to water down the two twats' holding over the next few years with smaller investors (still £10-£50m funds) taking stakes. Hicks and Gillett might make a steady profit that way if ourvalue goes up. As they would no longer have 100% control, Hicks and Gillett could act as individuals so we might see the back of Gillett sooner rtaherthan later if, say, in 6 months his remaining 30% is worth £80m.

Think Wachovia hold a very small part of the debt - £70m or so. The rest is with RBS, so they're the more important. They weren't as keen as RBS to refinance last time, because they don't have to worry about public perception.
Thanks.

There's something very odd about this. Every time there's been news in the past of investment, Cancer and Aids have been quite happy run with it. Now we're being told "the offer is unlikely to go ahead and should not be taken too seriously by Liverpool fans". Since when have those two cunts or the club as a whole cared what we think. Are the club worried this Rhone group may be in for some unwelcome attention from unhappy fans and are trying to distract us. Something is not right here.

Rafa reveals Reds concern

Boss fears for future if cash injection cannot be secured

Rafa Benitez fears for the long-term future of Liverpool if new, responsible owners cannot be found.

American duo George Gillett and Tom Hicks currently oversee events at Anfield, but the pair are not popular on the red half of Merseyside after plunging the club into massive debt.

Trying to operate on an unstable financial footing has meant manager Benitez has seen his hands tied in the transfer market.

That could have far-reaching consequences for the club, with UEFA Champions League qualification far from certain this term.

A cash injection is required to help establish stability both on and off the field, and Benitez admits failure to secure such funding could be disastrous for the Reds.

"My concern is about the future of the club, not one bad season," the Spaniard told the Liverpool Echo.

"The people who come in have to be the right people for the club.

"We have to take things forward for the good of the club and every day we are working hard."

Priority

Benitez has also sought to curb speculation surrounding his own future at Liverpool, with reports suggesting he is being lined up by Real Madrid as a replacement for the under-fire Manuel Pellegrini.

He insists he gives little attention to rumours and claims his sole focus at present is on helping his current employers get back to winning ways - starting with Monday's clash with Portsmouth,

"The club is the most important thing, more than anyone," he said.

"The most important thing is for everyone to try and do better and to improve performances.

"I don't want people talking about me. It doesn't matter.

"The priority has to be to improve things on and off the pitch."

Link Skysports.

Rafa Benitez fears for the long-term future of Liverpool if new, responsible owners cannot be found.

American duo George Gillett and Tom Hicks currently oversee events at Anfield, but the pair are not popular on the red half of Merseyside after plunging the club into massive debt.

Trying to operate on an unstable financial footing has meant manager Benitez has seen his hands tied in the transfer market.

That could have far-reaching consequences for the club, with UEFA Champions League qualification far from certain this term.

A cash injection is required to help establish stability both on and off the field, and Benitez admits failure to secure such funding could be disastrous for the Reds.

"My concern is about the future of the club, not one bad season," the Spaniard told the Liverpool Echo.

"We have to take things forward for the good of the club and every day we are working hard."

Priority

Benitez has also sought to curb speculation surrounding his own future at Liverpool, with reports suggesting he is being lined up by Real Madrid as a replacement for the under-fire Manuel Pellegrini.

He insists he gives little attention to rumours and claims his sole focus at present is on helping his current employers get back to winning ways - starting with Monday's clash with Portsmouth,

"The most important thing is for everyone to try and do better and to improve performances.

Link Skysports.

you'd be able to stretch your budget further rafa if you didn't spend 20m on players you refuse to utilise.

I'm no financial expert, but it strikes me that we're about to enter a period of manoeuvering for position by interested parties.

I've always thought that there'd be a queue of buyers around Anfield if we came up for sale again and it was down to the 2 chancers to decide how much they were happy to walk away with as a profit.

Now it looks as though they are possibly panicking that unless they get someone interested, and quick, they might end up with very little given that failure to finish in the top 4 would seriously affect future income.

Like him or not I think Purslow will have a big influence on who we next get as owners and I only hope, being a died in the wool Red (?), he's able to use any influence he has to ensure it's people who will take us forwards, unlike the present "custodians".

Have to say I was relieved to read this from Nino (if it's not Spanish Paper Bollocks of course)

said Torres in an interview with Spanish newspaper AS.

‘To be competitive, we need four or five top-class players, better than are here now. Without reinforcements we will be battling again to make fourth place. I want to be competing next year to win the League and the Champions’ League or Europa League, but that will mean bringing in signings.’

Read more: Liverpool set to keep hold of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres after £100m investment offer | Mail Online

Rhone Group bid for Liverpool FC could lead to more offers

Mar 15 2010 by Dominic King, Liverpool Echo

Anfield

Anfield 300

A FIRM bid to buy a major stake in Liverpool FC could lead to other offers from around the world arriving within weeks.

American co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are now deciding whether to dilute their controversial ownership of the Reds after the club received a formal offer of more than £100m in fresh investment.

The offer – a strategic long-term plan put forward by the Rhone Group – is being seen as a £110m plus vote of confidence in Liverpool Football Club and its future.

If Hicks and Gillett do accept it would mean Liverpool’s annual interest payments on the loan the pair placed on the club would reduce from more than £30m to around £15m per year.

The Rhone Group is a global private equity firm with bases in London, Paris and New York.

Fund executives have been in talks with the Reds for a number of weeks and have now put together an offer that would see them take a 40% stake in the club.

That offer was formally delivered in the very early hours of Saturday morning.

A period of due diligence is now underway. It is not expected to take long to complete – and if their offer is accepted it would dramatically improve Liverpool’s financial position.

But the ECHO understands hopes are now high at Anfield that this new bid - for what could actually turn out to be a controlling interest in Liverpool – may see other potential investors also coming forward and putting their cards on the table.

Rhone’s move marks a significant turn of events in the saga. It is the first firm offer Liverpool have received to end the impasse between Hicks and Gillett.

It is also a sign the ongoing efforts of managing director Christian Purslow to bring in new investors may be coming to fruition.

Purslow took over from outgoing chief executive officer Rick Parry last year.

The Harvard and Cambridge graduate, who has a history in the banking and finance industry, has been surveying potential bidders and weighing up their credentials since then.

Should they be successful the Rhone Group would pay off almost half the club’s current £237m debt with its own capital.

It is stressed they would not be borrowing to do the deal – nor would any of the money go to Hicks or Gillett.

It would simply go straight to the club and the halving of the debt would in turn mean the interest payments they are having to pay annually would be dramatically cut – which would create a better working transfer budget for manager Rafa Benitez in the summer.

Liverpool’s board – which includes Purslow, commercial director Ian Ayre and finance director Philip Nash – will now meet to discuss the proposal.

But Hicks and Gillett, as the major shareholders, will have the ultimate say on whether the proposal is accepted.

The early indications from sources close to the Hicks family is that it will be rejected as the Rhone Group’s offer is below what they are looking for. But, should they pursue that, it could prove to be very risky.

The Royal Bank of Scotland wants a solution and resolution to Liverpool’s debt before July when the terms of the current re-financing deal expire. And pressure is now mounting on them.

As there are only four months left before the RBS call time Hicks and Gillett must decide whether to plough their own furrow for fresh investment – a tactic that has so far been unsuccessful – or wait to see if Purslow can deliver an alternative to the Rhone Group.

Purslow said in an interview with the ECHO in January he was “confident and optimistic that in the next couple of months one of them will be brought to fruition”. And the Rhone Group are prepared to wait for an answer.

Some supporters will be understandably sceptical about the Rhone Group’s motives. It was claimed yesterday Roberto Agostinelli – who founded the company with Steven Langman in 1997 – numbers George Bush among his friends.

Given Hicks’ links to Bush it could, a first glance, appear to be a “carve up” between friends.

But the perception that Agostinelli moves in the same circles as Hicks – and is a billionaire – are both wrong. He spends the majority of his time in Europe.

Agostinelli is a friend of French leader Nicolas Sarkozy and in August 2007 he and wife, Marthe, who is in charge of communications for Prada-France, invited the French prime minister and his wife Carla Bruni to share a holiday villa in the United States.

The Rhone Group are described as being “conservative investors” and they do not load prospective projects up with debt. Nor, for that matter, do they make short-term investments. The intention is to help get the club back on a stable footing.

It would be their first investment in sport but the chance to become involved with “an iconic football club” is something that appeals; their intentions are serious to help Liverpool and representatives are understood to have met with Benitez already.

Liverpool have been linked with a number of would-be investors in recent months, most recently the Indian billionaire Subrata Roy, who was said to be pursuing a majority 51% stake in the club.

It must be stressed, though, that there is no guarantee the Rhone Group’s bid to invest in Liverpool will be successful and everything remains in the hands of Hicks and Gillett.

Liverpool officials remained tight-lipped today on the developments but are understood to be encouraged that this is the first serious proposal they have received.

The club have set a Easter deadline for would-be investors to show their hands – but it could be that this triggers a few more to step forward.

Conclusions -

5. The only way for the value of a stake to grow is for the club to become more valuable;

6. The only obvious ways to become more valuable over the medium term are (a) to cut the debt and (b) to build the stadium.

8. They will look for other investorsto get on board to cut the debt andput up funds for the stadium.

10. Or it might force a stalemate, but at least Rhone would have a controlling interest -ASSUMING that the two twats' interest is 30% each and not a block of 60%.

11. Once the debt is down and the stadium is secured Rhone will look to sell their interest to the highest bidder(s).

All in all I am cautiously optimistic. Anyone who loves the club wants to see the back of the two twats, but that comes second to the generalinterst of the club. If we can dilute their influence in a way that means we can go forward with lower debt and a good chance of a new ground, this could be positive news. Even if there are some past links between Hicks & Rhone, I think that a private equity group has to act with profitin mind at all times and so in no way will do favours to the current owners. I Think their stategy wil be to water down the two twats' holding over the next few years with smaller investors (still £10-£50m funds) taking stakes. Hicks and Gillett might make a steady profit that way if ourvalue goes up. As they would no longer have 100% control, Hicks and Gillett could act as individuals so we might see the back of Gillett sooner rtaherthan later if, say, in 6 months his remaining 30% is worth £80m.

Hicks and the Rhone group are bessie mates. cf Corinthians.

Priority

Link Skysports.

This is good. Fair play to Rafa for saying this. I hope people don't try and spin it into a negative thing as half arsed fans who don't know about the major issue we are in will now see the manager talking with concern about teh long term future of the club and they may educate themselves some more.

Conclusions -

The bit in bold is the problem - they will sell to the highest bidder and guess how the new owner would pay for us? With borrowings secured on the club

This is good. Fair play to Rafa for saying this. I hope people don't try and spin it into a negative thing as half arsed fans who don't know about the major issue we are in will now see the manager talking with concern about teh long term future of the club and they may educate themselves some more.

Hopefully we can get some funds in so that Benitez can buy a top-class central midfielder (again), a top-class striker (again) and a top-class LB (again).

I think we probably need at least one wide attacking player too (again).

Guest Ronin47

from John Thompson on the Echo answering the fans questions

he may have made more posts since these.

Hi guys,

John Thompson, Echo Sports Editor here.

Lots of very good questions and I won't pretend that at this very early stage I or we at the Echo know the answers to all of them. But we're trying very hard to find out and will take all these observations, points and issues on board going forward.

But our understanding is that the Rhone Group offer - if it is eventually accepted - would dramatically change the ownership structure at Liverpool Football Club.

Rhone are seeking a 40 per cent share in the club, via a promise to pay £110m for what would be newly issued shares in the club.

Although on the face of it that would still leave Tom Hicks and George Gillett collectively in the ascendancy, it is might not necessarily going to turn out that way.

Indeed, although Rhone would only hold what is technically still a minority stake, it is very possible that they could end up having much more influence in the decision making processes at Anfield than the maths suggest here.

I'm afraid I can't tell you how that would work -even though it's an obvious and critical question. But it is the Echo's understanding that they may ultimately end up in control.

-------- his second post ------------------

I guess you're wondering - like all Liverpool fans given what the club has gone through these last three years - whether it would be simply be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire with Rhone involved.

People will also wonder why anyone would put £100m worth of cash into a football club with no immediate prospect of a quick return. In other words, What's the catch here?

Well we've been trying to find out if there is one - and at this early stage it is being stressed by experts in the field that Rhone is a conservative, managed investment fund, one which is in essence putting a big amount of its clients' money into Liverpool FC to now help it get back on a much more stable financial footing. Their ambitions seem to lie over the long - even very long - term.

The Echo's understanding is that neither Robert Agonstinelli nor Steven Langman - who are professional fund managers rather than rich individual personal benefactors - have any ambitions to sit on a new Liverpool board.

Managing Director Christian Purslow, Commercial Director Ian Ayre and Financial chief Philip Nash would remain among the senor execs in day to day control of afairs at Anfield

Rhone apparently remain convinced that, despite all the troubles, LFC is still a club with enormous potential and - properly run and managed - a bright future ahead ultimately.

That's what Liverpool fans feel too I'm sure.

How can a world famous club with as many fans devoted around the planet as Liverpool have - and a club remember which has just attracted an £80m shirt sponsorship deal - not still be an attractive investment propostion, in essence?

---- third post -----------

No one is saying anything at all about this proposal. Not Liverpool FC, Not Rhone or their representatives. And not Tom Hicks or George Gillett. It's common for these business proposals to be shrouded in confidentiality at this stage, so I guess it's not that surprising there's been no comment despite a battery of questions coming at people from the media.

But, micky89, this is a significant development. I know fans often find it difficult to know who's for real and who's not - so many people have been 'linked' with buying into Liverpool before that it's hard for supporters to be sure.

And you are right to suggest the views of Tom Hicks and George Gillett are very important as to whether this firm investment proposal goes any further or not.

Hicks and Gillett are the owners still. But the Royal Bank of Scotland, who they have borrowed money from and which is due to be repaid in July, also have a significant interest in making sure their money is safe and that the club gets out of the desperate malaise it has found itself in.

That's the strategy here, to get a world famous and hugely successful football club back on the road to recovery. It's a long and tricky road, but this could yet turn out to be a very important step in that journey if Rhone's intentions are as hoped.

Edited by Ronin47
more info

Hopefully we can get some funds in so that Benitez can buy a top-class central midfielder (again), a top-class striker (again) and a top-class LB (again).

I think we probably need at least one wide attacking player too (again).

If we were going to get proper investment for the squad, I'd rather someone else spend it than Benitez. I wouldn't trust him with it.

from John Thompson on the Echo

Hi guys,

John Thompson, Echo Sports Editor here.

Lots of very good questions and I won't pretend that at this very early stage I or we at the Echo know the answers to all of them. But we're trying very hard to find out and will take all these observations, points and issues on board going forward.

But our understanding is that the Rhone Group offer - if it is eventually accepted - would dramatically change the ownership structure at Liverpool Football Club.

Rhone are seeking a 40 per cent share in the club, via a promise to pay £110m for what would be newly issued shares in the club.

Although on the face of it that would still leave Tom Hicks and George Gillett collectively in the ascendancy, it is might not necessarily going to turn out that way.

Indeed, although Rhone would only hold what is technically still a minority stake, it is very possible that they could end up having much more influence in the decision making processes at Anfield than the maths suggest here.

I'm afraid I can't tell you how that would work -even though it's an obvious and critical question. But it is the Echo's understanding that they may ultimately end up in control.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I feel better now.