You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A German manager, the way forward?

Code

Whatever the ownership situation, we should explore every possible option. Even those that seem wildly unrealistic, we have nothing to lose.

I don't know who the answer is, but I think any change of manager and a fresh face with some fresh ideas will give the players a boost. I've said it before on here, but we don't necessarily need someone better than Benitez, we just need somebody different.

I do agree with that, although it will also have to be somebody who the senior players have respect for and who they think is worth listening to.

Of the domestic names mentioned, only Hodgson I think fits that bill, and that's by virtue of his time at Inter and as an international manager, rather than for what he's done with Fulham.

I have always thought that Van Gaal would be perfect for us, but I think that ship may have sailed some time ago.

Like the Big jan suggestion, yeah he would be turd but-its Jan innit?

Would go for Ottmar meself, there's been some poor suggestions, Hodgson is OK if you want an OK manager but we're not Hull, he's a floater, Billic? HE'S A BLUE?

We need a top experienced manager who is not tainted by association, no Hughes, no Grant or these fakes, can't see what's wrong with Kenny meself but really worried we'll end up with some bad choice, let's get Carra and Kenny!

Guest TK-421

I doubt Hodgson is on much dosh at Fulham (relatively speaking) so it will probably be him. Cheap, cheerful Woy.

That's if he doesn't rule himself out.

I can't possibly see us going foreign for this appointment.

I doubt Hodgson is on much dosh at Fulham (relatively speaking) so it will probably be him. Cheap, cheerful Woy.

That's if he doesn't rule himself out.

I can't possibly see us going foreign for this appointment.

And he's probably lost his Harrod's 10% discount card now (Al) Fayed has sold up.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke
He'll be free on Monday.

The DFB ( German F:A ) love him and are desperate for him to sign a new contract. I doubt after this World Cup he'll be available no matter how far they go. He loves the attention and they wank over him as if he's a legend without actually having done that much. Of course things can change, but i'd be surprised to see him asked to go or leave on his own accord. He's also managed several teams at club level and lasted no longer than a season at each one without any great success.

The DFB ( German F:A ) love him and are desperate for him to sign a new contract. I doubt after this World Cup he'll be available no matter how far they go. He loves the attention and they wank over him as if he's a legend without actually having done that much. Of course things can change, but i'd be surprised to see him asked to go or leave on his own accord. He's also managed several teams at club level and lasted no longer than a season at each one without any great success.

He was the brains behind the team that finished 3rd in the last WC and he took them to the final in the Euros two years ago, they won their qualification group for the WC with 8 wins and 2 draws with 26 goals scored and 5 conceded and they won their group in the WC as well.

I think thats more than enough for the Germans to be more than pleased with him.

Guest Pistonbroke
He was the brains behind the team that finished 3rd in the last WC and he took them to the final in the Euros two years ago, they won their qualification group for the WC with 8 wins and 2 draws with 26 goals scored and 5 conceded and they won their group in the WC as well.

I think thats more than enough for the Germans to be more than pleased with him.

How do you know he was the brains behind the World cup in 2006 ? Did the DFB or Klinsmann tell you ? Or do you just read what fans print on forums and take it for granted ? That World cup was also on home soil and imo the Germans underachieved with the players they had and were indeed lucky to even get to the semi finals.

Euro 2008 was more or less the same and being held in two countries which border Germany and speak their language was as near to a home tournament as you will get. They finished second behind Croatia in the group stages in a piss easy group, struggled past Portugal and Turkey and were beaten in the final by Spain.

Most of the top teams qualified easily for this World cup as they mostly do due to the fact the groups are pretty much shite when you take the top two teams out of the equation.

He's not a bad manager but he's overrated imo and his club record speaks volumes. One thing having the cream of the crop to manage than a 34-38 game season against teams who have better squads etc.

Guest Pistonbroke
Pistonbroke, hasnt all this got to do with Bierhoff? Low gave them an ultimatum to give him a contract aswell and they told him to fuck off, wasnt it?

Not really sure about that Robbie tbh. he was given the job as the national teams Manager as part of the deal Klinnsmann wanted before he took over as coach.

How do you know he was the brains behind the World cup in 2006 ? Did the DFB or Klinsmann tell you ? Or do you just read what fans print on forums and take it for granted ? That World cup was also on home soil and imo the Germans underachieved with the players they had and were indeed lucky to even get to the semi finals.

Euro 2008 was more or less the same and being held in two countries which border Germany and speak their language was as near to a home tournament as you will get. They finished second behind Croatia in the group stages in a piss easy group, struggled past Portugal and Turkey and were beaten in the final by Spain.

Most of the top teams qualified easily for this World cup as they mostly do due to the fact the groups are pretty much shite when you take the top two teams out of the equation.

He's not a bad manager but he's overrated imo and his club record speaks volumes. One thing having the cream of the crop to manage than a 34-38 game season against teams who have better squads etc.

In fairness to Code, I've got a mate in Germany and he told me that Low's got a big reputation there for being very tactically competant. He took Stuttgart to a European final while he was there and that was his first managerial job. The general consensus is that Kilnsmann was more of a figurehead and Low was the man with the plan for the German team, which is how come he was promoted to manager of the national team on the back of relatively little club management experience. His results since then seem to back that up as well.

Yes I do, as a neutral it would be good for the WC as well because Germany play much better football.

Apart from the other night. I could score against Australia.

£5 bet to HJC then? Whoever wins in 120 mins. If its a draw at 120 min we both pay £5. We won't include penalties as you don't think they exist.

Apart from the other night. I could score against Australia.

£5 bet to HJC then? Whoever wins in 120 mins. If its a draw at 120 min we both pay £5. We won't include penalties as you don't think they exist.

Hehe no problem I`m up for that.