You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A German manager, the way forward?

Code

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ottmar Hitzfeld (born 12 January 1949 in Lörrach, then Baden) is a German former football player (striker) and manager,[1] nicknamed der General ("the general").[2]

With a total of 18 major titles, mostly accumulated in his tenures with Grasshopper Club Zürich, Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich, the trained mathematics and sports teacher is not only the most successful German coach, but also one of the most outstanding in the history of the game. Twice he was elected "World Coach of the Year". Also, besides the legendary Ernst Happel, he is the only manager to win the European Cup/UEFA Champions League with two different clubs.

He currently holds the position as coach of the Swiss national football team.[1]

International appearances - 1972 West Germany Olympic team

What a great idea! Can anyone think of any other nationalities that haven't managed in the Premiership before? It would seem to be an obvious criterion when considering our next manager.

Perhaps we could extend it to other Anfield staff?

Have we ever had a Mexican full-back?

A striker from the Congo?

A kitman from Lithuania?

A tea-lady from Switzerland?

Or a Brazilian central midfielder?

This is a great idea!

Did`nt Titi Camara play for Congo?

All Germans speak English. I've never met one who doesn't.

*I've only met about a dozen Germans in my life and I think that's a conclusive enough sample size.

Me & the wife made friends with a German girl on holiday in Tunisia ( Both had daughters the same age)

She was the most gorgeous girl I have ever seen to this day , but I'm sorry Manny she never spoke a word of English.

Having said that, as my relationship with her was basically imagining it was her when I was tupping the missus, it made very little difference.I would be happy to have her as manager however.

German manager? We already have a cold, emotionless, robotic manager so I don't think nationality matters much.

Neither do I, but a lot of the managers I think could do a good job are Germans so why not discuss them all in the same place.

Germany is a great football nation as well, so maybe its time one of their top managers tried his luck in England.

• 2 months later...
Guest TK-421

Yeah, he'd be my choice too. I'm sure he'd love to come here. Once he's at his desk he can go about selling players he doesn't want and buying new ones without hindrance from his employers. Anyone is up for grabs in that respect. I'd start with Messi, Robben, Ribery and Milito. It's a sound plan.

What the hell are we doing here, we should be looking at NORWEGIAN managers

Why do I feel like this is Code's dream, sitting around in his diapers cobbling together fantasy teams with fantasy coaches.

Didn't Hitzfeld lose to Costa Rica the other night?

Whats that supposed to mean?

Im a costarican Liverpool fan. We have a 'not so bad' national team that isnt well known and unfortunately we didnt qualify for the world cup but on terms of quality I dont believe the swiss are that high up the ladder.

So Hitzfeld loosing to Costa Rica with the swiss really doesnt relate to his coaching ability.

Edited by Joso

Hitzfeld has won the European Cup with two different team, Mourinho is the other one still alive who has achieved this.

Hitzfeld is a winner and since he is a World Cup coach he will most likely be availible after the World Cup.

We are still Liverpool FC, not fucking Hull so why should he not want to come here.

I think a lot of people have a lot of direspect for this clubs name and history when they think we will get a second rate manager.

Felix Magath is still the answer in my opinion. He came second this season with Schalke whom are also struggling financially. He's also known for getting much out of small resources.

Magath would definately be an interesting choice and with the state we're in maybe the right choice. However, we are only looking for short term appointee's by all accounts and this would seriously limit the list of possibilities. Personally can not see anyone who has a decent contract at any club giving it up to manage us. Getting someone like Magath would be a major coup of sorts imo.

We are still Liverpool FC, not fucking Hull so why should he not want to come here.

Why not indeed, nothing dramatic has happened with LFC lately...

I think a lot of people have a lot of direspect for this clubs name and history when they think we will get a second rate manager.

You are talking about the owners?

Hitzfeld has won the European Cup with two different team, Mourinho is the other one still alive who has achieved this.

Hitzfeld is a winner and since he is a World Cup coach he will most likely be availible after the World Cup.

Well according to many, we've had one of those for the past 6 seasons so if it's disrespect you're looking for...

Guest TK-421

I love the city and the club, that's why I come on here every day. I also recognize the complete clusterfuck of a situation we're in and suspect it's unlikely we'll attract a good manager until the club is sold. Is that ok?

Whatever the ownership situation, we should explore every possible option. Even those that seem wildly unrealistic, we have nothing to lose.

I don't know who the answer is, but I think any change of manager and a fresh face with some fresh ideas will give the players a boost. I've said it before on here, but we don't necessarily need someone better than Benitez, we just need somebody different.