You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tomkins latest effort.

Juan Galonso

Why don't Tomkins just pull down Rafa's tracksuit bottoms and suck his cock. The guy is even more deluded than the 22% on here who want him to have another season

Why do we keep posting Tomkins articles on here? Not like he's going to ever say anything critical

How about: Became the first Liverpool side EVER to not force the keeper into a save v Wigan for the achievements of 09-10.

Even the most awfullest of awful Liverpool performances under GH, Evans and Souness the opposition keeper had to make at least one save in a game.

you really dont remember Brondby, FC Basle, Strasbourg and PSG do you ?

That said, last night was shite though....really really bad.

you really dont remember Brondby, FC Basle, Strasbourg and PSG do you ?

That said, last night was shite though....really really bad.

Eh? Brondby, yes I remember that, Oct 31st 1995 we tested the keeper several times.

Basle, we came back from 0-3 down so we tested the keeper there. Strasbourg and PSG....Damn you got me there. I think we actually forced the keeper into at least one save though no matter how bad we were.

I can't remember a Liverpool side never forcing the opposition keeper into a save though. Maybe Barca away in 2001 UEFA Cup run but there is a hell of a difference between playing away at Barca and away at the DW Stadium.

Eh? Brondby, yes I remember that, Oct 31st 1995 we tested the keeper several times.

Basle, we came back from 0-3 down so we tested the keeper there. Strasbourg and PSG....Damn you got me there. I think we actually forced the keeper into at least one save though no matter how bad we were.

I can't remember a Liverpool side never forcing the opposition keeper into a save though. Maybe Barca away in 2001 UEFA Cup run but there is a hell of a difference between playing away at Barca and away at the DW Stadium.

Wigan was abysmal but it's not really the manager's fault if his best two players can't hit the target. Would the performance have been any better if Torres and Gerrard were on target and Kirkland made a series of class saves?

Wigan was abysmal but it's not really the manager's fault if his best two players can't hit the target. Would the performance have been any better if Torres and Gerrard were on target and Kirkland made a series of class saves?

Maybe in a one-off game, but we've had about five shots in target in our last seven Premier League away games combined, or something like that.

It isn't just the shots on target though is it Andrew? It is the lack of creativity throughout and the lack of incisive forward passing which makes us the dullest team in the league by a street which makes us easy to play against which in turn stifles our creative players from doing what they are good at.

If we had created loads of chances and lost 0-1 and Kirkland came away MOTM you could put it down as one of those games, like say when United fluked it in the last minute at Anfield in 07 but out of the 9 defeats we have suffered this season and even some of the wins we have hardly created anything of note. Nearly every game is the same.

I don't think the players are playing this negative way through choice do you?

Maybe in a one-off game, but we've had about five shots in target in our last seven Premier League away games combined, or something like that.

I agree it's fucking awful but this "didn't have a shot on target at wigan" is now being repeated over and over as if it's some new hanging offence and I just don't see the relevance.

I agree it's fucking awful but this "didn't have a shot on target at wigan" is now being repeated over and over as if it's some new hanging offence and I just don't see the relevance.

It's totally relevant, because it's just the latest in what is becoming an increasing line of games where we don't create chances, never mind score goals.

If it was a one-off, then it would be irrelevant, but it isn't.

Just look at the list of games where we've failed to score a goal away from home:

Fiorentina

Chelsea

Sunderland

Blackburn

Portsmouth

Wolves

Arsenal

Man City

Wigan

Lille

That is a fucking huge list, relatively speaking. Just look at it; sickening.

It isn't just the shots on target though is it Andrew? It is the lack of creativity throughout and the lack of incisive forward passing which makes us the dullest team in the league by a street which makes us easy to play against which in turn stifles our creative players from doing what they are good at.

If we had created loads of chances and lost 0-1 and Kirkland came away MOTM you could put it down as one of those games, like say when United fluked it in the last minute at Anfield in 07 but out of the 9 defeats we have suffered this season and even some of the wins we have hardly created anything of note. Nearly every game is the same.

I don't think the players are playing this negative way through choice do you?

There's a few reasons for this negativity in my opinion. Rafa definitely decided to shut up shop more after that period when we looked like conceding two goals every game. He's staunched the leakage of goals but at the expense of our attack. It hasn't helped that none of our creative players have been around much for the last few months and even now don't look fully match fit. Nor does it help if your captain, talisman and best player is taking a sabbatical and moaning at everybody instead of trying to lift them.

Iagree it's all unacceptable though.

It's totally relevant, because it's just the latest in what is becoming an increasing line of games where we don't create chances, never mind score goals.

Just look at the list of games where we've failed to score a goal away from home:

Fiorentina

Chelsea

Sunderland

Blackburn

Portsmouth

Wolves

Arsenal

Man City

Wigan

Lille

You've misunderstood me. It is all sickening. I was just referring to this Wigan mantra as if it's some new point.

agree with aws.

I think people are going overboard about the last two matches, even though i agree we havent been anywhere near good enough. I just think it's the straw that broke the camels back and there has been a wave of "enough's enough". We have made the chances needed to win the last 2 games, earlier on in the season the general play was just as bad but we often weren't making any chances at all. Don't misinterpret this as me saying everything's fine though because it obviously isn't.

Fiorentina

Chelsea

Sunderland

Blackburn

Portsmouth

Wolves

Arsenal

Man City

Wigan

Lille

Is that down to the players or the manager though?

Seriously, I can't imagine the manager telling them to go out there and not score, not even shoot at goal.

I think there are one or two questions that need to be asked of the players.

Is that down to the players or the manager though?

Seriously, I can't imagine the manager telling them to go out there and not score, not even shoot at goal.

I think there are one or two questions that need to be asked of the players.

He coaches them, he motivates them, he picks the team and when everything goes well he takes most of the glory; in that sense, he's the one to carry the can.

It's always been the case in football and it always will be, sad to say.

If results aren't good (i'd call our results this season a lot more than poor) then you can still be cut some slack if it's clear that your philosophy isn't flawed and you give the team the best chances of winning matches.

I don't think that's the case though and in my view those fundamental flaws have always been there, they're just more pronounced now.

At Fulham (October 2004) the Reds came from behind at half-time to win an away game for the 1st time in 13 years.

Most of them are shite but that's a belter of a stat that. Not that is means that much about Rafa but more about the failings of Houllier, Evans and Souness.

The Fulham comeback happened after he replaced Salif Diao with Xabi Alonso - some would say they wouldn't have had to come back for the first team in 13 years had he not made such an eccentric team selection in the 1st place.