You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manuel Pellegrini

Faustus

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't a manager/coach in the world who's good enough to come to Anfield unless they can win us the League in 2 to 3 seasons. That's the kind of pressure anyone would be under if they accepted the job. It's the worst job in the world for having your every move dissected and criticised apart from, possibly, Real Madrid.

But there's something in the way the players are at the moment that appears to be terminal, and when that happens it's only a matter of time until change happens.

I already feel sorry for the one who signs on the dotted line after Rafa goes.

There isn't a manager/coach in the world who's good enough to come to Anfield unless they can win us the League in 2 to 3 seasons. That's the kind of pressure anyone would be under if they accepted the job. It's the worst job in the world for having your every move dissected and criticised apart from, possibly, Real Madrid.

But there's something in the way the players are at the moment that appears to be terminal, and when that happens it's only a matter of time until change happens.

I already feel sorry for the one who signs on the dotted line after Rafa goes.

Agree with that. Anyone who comes in will be pre-programmed for failure unless it is accepted that without new investment we're not going to be challenging at the top again for a number of years and that the new manager will need 3-5 years to have any sort of chance to build a good side without big money. For that reason I'd prefer a British manager because he'll be given a bit more time rather than being labelled the "Italian/German/ Duthch Benitez" within the first year or so.

I think we need a manager who is going to instill confidence in the players and give the team a certain swagger, judging by the comments on this thread, what Liverpool fans want above anything else is an aesthetic quality, a team that is nice on the eye.

To be perfectly honest there is only one candidate guaranteed to instill both confidence and style and that is Gok Wan!

Apparently he could do no worse than Rafa!

So Gok Wan is the transgender for me!

Guest PurpleNose
WWWWWHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH

Can hardly blame me. You read some of the threads that have popped up over the last few days?

Valencia played two CL foinals in a row before Rafa took over and they lost their second final against Bayern M on penalties.

We won our CL final on penalties.

I guess it was all down to Rafa`s tatctical brilliance compared to Cuper at Valencia, dont you?

No, I'm going to bring this up again. This has been bugging me the last couple of days. Kaká had a sensational first half, one of the best I've seen since I've been watching football. Rafa brough Didi on to nullify him, and not only did that stop the Kaká threat dead, it also let Gerrard go forward (to get the 1st and play for the third), and it also let our centre backs turn into a back 3 as their wingers were non-existent, so our CBs could look after the best striker in the world, and one of the top 10.

No, I'm going to bring this up again. This has been bugging me the last couple of days. Kaká had a sensational first half, one of the best I've seen since I've been watching football. Rafa brough Didi on to nullify him, and not only did that stop the Kaká threat dead, it also let Gerrard go forward (to get the 1st and play for the third), and it also let our centre backs turn into a back 3 as their wingers were non-existent, so our CBs could look after the best striker in the world, and one of the top 10.

Like I`ve said before, for me if a manager wins a final or lose a final on penalties then I would never use it as any kind of evidence for the one manager being better than tyhe other.

Others do though and for me thats just wrong.

Getting to the final, thats great, but if you win it or lose it on penalties, then frankly it does not tell much about your credentials as a manager compared to the one on the losing side does it?

Like I`ve said before, for me if a manager wins a final or lose a final on penalties then I would never use it as any kind of evidence for the one manager being better than tyhe other.

Others do though and for me thats just wrong.

Getting to the final, thats great, but if you win it or lose it on penalties, then frankly it does not tell much about your credentials as a manager compared to the one on the losing side does it?

No. It's an opinion. Surely he showed world class tactical nouse that game by having the balls to change it at half time (I know we need it now) and come back from 3-0 to the best defensive side in the world.

There are many thing you can use against Rafa, but sure a European Cup win cannot be one of them?

No. It's an opinion. Surely he showed world class tactical nouse that game by having the balls to change it at half time (I know we need it now) and come back from 3-0 to the best defensive side in the world.

There are many thing you can use against Rafa, but sure a European Cup win cannot be one of them?

I`m not using it against him.

I`m just not rating a win on penalties in a final any higher than to lose on penalties in a final as a mangerial achievment.

Code wasn't bothered on 25th may 2005 cos it was only on pens. He's the Kryton on fans, absolutely bereft of emotion.

Smeeeeeeeeeeggggggggg.

Off course I was bothered.

But the difference between the teams was not Rafa compared to Ancelotti, it was Dudek compared to Dida.

Now 5 years later though I`m able to discuss it without emotions taking control over my brain.

Again, what negative spin have I put on it?

I just dont see winning any kind of finals on penalties as some kind of work of miracles compared to the job the manager who lost on penalties did.

I would have thougt that would be pretty easy to understand for most.

C'mon Code, there's loads of things you could have a go at Rafa for but picking holes in winning the European Cup on penalties is stretching it. We haven't done easy finals since the early '90s, since then they've either been crushing disappointments or topsy turvy, mad affairs. No matter who the manager was.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Again, what negative spin have I put on it?

I just dont see winning any kind of finals on penalties as some kind of work of miracles compared to the job the manager who lost on penalties did.

You're so simplistic. You mislead by omission. What you say isn't wrong, it is what you leave out that skews your perspective so badly.