Quantcast
Liverpool Res 3 Tranmere Res 0 - Liverpool Senior Cup Semi Final (Mar 10 2010) - Reserves 2009-2010 - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Sign in to follow this  
TLW

Liverpool Res 3 Tranmere Res 0 - Liverpool Senior Cup Semi Final (Mar 10 2010)

LIVERPOOL RES 3 Tranmere Res 0

Report by Alan Kayll at the Academy

tranmerereport.jpg

Scorer(s) - Lauri Dalla Valle, David Amoo, O.G.

Half Time – 1-0

Venue – The Academy

Date - Wed Mar 10 2010

Star Man – Jay Spearing

Liverpool Reserves finally got some playing time under their belt on a cold but sunny afternoon at the Academy. Ressies boss John McMahon was forced into a late change today with the news that Stephen Darby had agreed a loan move to Swindon Town until May. The deal is expected to be concluded on Friday barring no major injuries to the first team tomorrow night, a delighted Darby left this game midway through the 2nd half to travel down to Swindon to conclude the formalities.

The Liverpool squad were also buoyed by the news that Brazilian flop Vita Flora had returned to Brazil after an easily forgettable two year stint at the club.

Liverpool were up against a former player in Charlie Barnett who was back in familiar surroundings having grown up at Liverpool's Academy and won two FA Youth cups with the club. It looks as though first team action for Tranmere has boosted his physique. Rovers had intended to field a very strong side for this game, but those plans were dashed by a bug that has hit their camp the last few days.

Just before kick off the arrival of a relaxed and smiling Rafael Benitez was a boost for the young lads, who will have been eager to impress the boss.

The game was evenly matched early on with both sides looking to get the ball down and play football. The talented Jay Spearing was pulling most of the strings for the reds, and there was a significant moment in the game after 23 minutes when a weak Nikola Saric effort was easily saved by the Rovers keeper on his line. It must have been a huge relief to Rafael Benitez to finally see a Liverpool side have a shot on target after 130 minutes of football.

Liverpool were spreading some good balls from right to left with Ayala finding Mavinga on more than one occasion, Mavinga looks a promising player, he has the same build and look of Djimi Traore but thankfully he does not have the same touch as the former European Cup winner. Unlike Djimi, his second touch isn't a tackle.

Liverpool deservedly took the lead after 42 mins when good work by Kacaniklic found Amoo. His shot was saved but Della Valle squeezed it in from a very tight angle. The Finn may not be blessed with the greatest pace, but he certainly makes up for it with an eye for a goal and great intelligence. Very good prospect is Dalla Valle.

The 2nd half brought a change for Liverpool, as on came Gerardo Bruna for Saric. Bruna has been out for several months through injury, but is back to full fitness now. Within 3 minutes Tranmere were reduced to 10 men when Creswell was sent off for an over the top tackle on the hairband wearing Steven Irwin.

David Amoo was pushed into an attacking midfield role behind Dalla Valle, whilst Bruna moved to the right. Amoo was starting to cause Tranmere problems with a series of strong attacking runs into the Rovers box. He got his reward after 70 mins when he struck a side footed shot past the keeper.

It was a competitive fixture with plenty of strong challenges going in. A few tough but fair Charlie Barnett tackles left the Mohican sporting Damian Plessis rolling around the surface. As if he hasn't been standing out enough for his stinking performances, he's now drawing more attention to himself with a daft haircut.

Liverpool made their second change when Francisco Duran replaced the impressive Mavinga after 73 mins, this prompted Rafael Benitez and backroom staff to leave the Academy for the short journey to Liverpool airport to catch their flight to Lille.

The third and final change came in the 77th minute when Nikolaj Kohlert replaced David Amoo. The final goal came courtesy of a Tranmere og when a Dalla Valle snap shot was turned into his own net by the centre half. With three minutes remaining Liverpool should have made it 4-0 when Ayala headed back to Dalla Valle, but he missed from 5 yards out with an open goal in front of him.

3ulWPEZB6Y8

Team: Gulacsi; Irwin,Ayala, Palsson, Mavinga (Duran); Amoo (Kholert), Spearing, Plessis, Kacaniklic; Saric (Bruna), Dalla Valle:

Sign in to follow this  

• Available Subscriptions

• Last Match Report

• Latest Posts

• I did leave the game on last night just to see Roy Keane, he was so funny, didn’t pull any punches. Dreading reading some social media this morning but most aren’t laughing at us for us change but at the mancs. As others have said we’ve been magnificent this season, there may be a twist yet. Hell of a season if we are a close second and CL winners.
    • Pep Guardiola has seen many things in his Football career, but it is highly unlikely that he has been part of a title race such as this.

Man City reclaimed the upper hand on Wednesday night with a 2-0 victory in the Manchester derby.

While the Spaniard and his squad would have breathed an almighty sigh of relief to get the much discussed fixture out of the way with the three points, he knows there is plenty of hard work to be done.

The Liverpool Echo reported Guardiola as saying:

"Normally with this kind of derby victory you can it enjoy it the most but we have to be calm.

" We have to prepare well for all three games left.

"It's important to be calm. We are still not champions with three games left - it's incredible with the points we and Liverpool have.

"I told the players don't read tomorrow, don't watch the television, just rest and sleep a lot and go in there against Burnley."

Despite being the manager of their closest rival this season, it is clearly evident the respect that Guardiola has for the job that Jurgen Klopp has done with the Reds and the squad as a whole.

Guardiola says both Liverpool and City deserve equal recognition for producing a title race for the ages.

And unlike previous seasons where the runner-up may look back and say 'what if' both teams should be ultimately proud of their efforts.  

" Liverpool and ourselves deserve the title as one.

"The team that is going to lose can't have regrets because they have given everything."

We have come close in our last couple of title challenges, but all we experienced at the end of it was a feeling of emptiness and frustration.

Somehow this feels a bit different and while the race is far but over, whatever transpires in the remaining weeks, you can only feel pride of the efforts by the Redmen on a week to week basis.

View full article
    • The form of Joel Matip has undoubtedly been one of the most pleasing developments in the second half of this campaign. However, there would have been times when the Cameroon international would have wondered if things were ever going to go his way at Liverpool.

Just when it seemed he was ready to stamp his authority on the centre back position, an innocuous injury appeared completely out of the blue such as the collarbone injury sustained in the last minute of the final Champions League group game against Napoli in early December.

Seemingly blessed with the physical attributes to be a impressive central defender, his inability to impose himself in a game sense due to his causal demeanour has consistently frustrated many fans over his time at the club.

However a real opportunity emerged in the early part of 2019. 

After making a quicker than expected recovery from his injury, a spot in the back four opened up with Dejan Lovren who had been deputising for both Joe Gomez and Matip, suffering an hamstring strain in the FA Cup tie against Wolves.

They say good fortune comes in many ways and to the great credit of the 27 year-old, he has taken it with both hands.

Developing a strong bond with your fellow central defender is crucial, and something that Matip lacked in previous stints in the side.

However, after linking up with Virgil Van Dijk, he has progressed to the next level.

There is something a bit special seeing a central defender go on mazy runs up the pitch.

Matip has always had this aspect to his game, but as his confidence has grown, his roaming trips have become all the more frequent to the great delight of the Anfield crowd.

The defender explained to the Official site about his love to have the ball at his feet.

"I'm a defender but I really enjoy to have the ball in all situations.

"We have the ball quite often and I try to help my teammates and try to do something for the team to create something. 

"I really enjoy it. I think it's not bad if you enjoy the way you play.

"When I was young I tried to play from the back. I think that's just the way I am, the way I play. Sometimes it helps and I hope that it will help our team.

"Maybe I should not do it every few minutes but I think he [Klopp] trusts me.   "If I step in and the risk is not too high and I can help the team then it's helpful."  

Despite having an adventurous nature, Matip knows putting the ball in the back of the net himself is not one of his strengths and he sticks to the basics in this regard.

"I know what I can do and shooting is not my favourite part, so I think it's better to leave the shooting for some others.

"But maybe one day I will be in a better position and also can score with a shot."

Currently enjoying his most consistent run of games as a Liverpool player, Matip knows every team Liverpool comes up against at this time of the season is a considerable test which continues against Huddersfield on Friday night.

"No game in the Premier League is easy, it doesn't matter who you play against.

"They will fight, they will try to earn their respect and they will not come here to give us some points. It will be a tough challenge."

View full article
    • If we lift the European Cup - what would have been the jewel in their potential quadruple crown - I'd imagine that would absolutely boil their, and especially Guardiola's piss.   Even should they pip us to the League.   We have to stay positive, twat Huddersfield.   And I have to keep reminding myself we can win the European Cup.   (And maybe the League)        
    • I'm hoping Saruman the White conjures up the 1974 Leighton James to score a last-gasp Burnley winner/equaliser.
  • Latest Round Up

• Popular Contributors