You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Losing My Religion?

Faustus

I've fallen out of love with Premier League football in a massive way. For so, so many reasons. I can't help but shake the same feelings I get when looking at politics in that everything you are being fed is just false and fabricated. Player X dives, Manager Y told him to, Manager X's team played shit but blames the ref, Match of the day gives it's weak, transparent and thoughtless take on it.

I like about a dozen people in football. That can't be right.

Gerrard summed this up for me a few seasons ago following the Rob Styles penalty debacle at home against Chelsea (when Malouda canoned off Finnan and got the spot-kick from it). In the aftermath afterwards he came out and said how Styles should apologise to the Liverpool players for that. I thought to myself, 'Hmm... I presume you're going to ask some of the players you captain, and the England players you team up with, and your good self, to apologise every time you dive and knowingly try and con the referee?' (At this point I'd just like to mention that Steven Gerrard's not the worst - but it was his apology demand which caught my eye).

It just shows how far and fucked up things have become when the one person who you can guarantee's not cheating - albeit sometimes decisions are so bad you think they must be - is decried, while those who do the deceiving do so cos 'it's all part of the game Gary'.

Two sentences sum up this fucked-up analogy for me:

"The referee's just not letting this game flow" (as if he's got any say in how many fouls a team chooses to make)

and

"The referee's let himself be conned there."

Brilliant.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have supported the club from the 73/74 season.Seen all the amazing sides we have had since then,seen us beat everything europe has thrown at us and outclass any side in england as well.

Nobody saw or could of predicted the sudden decline in the trophy less years that descended upon us.That sudden change from winning trophy after trophy to basically a mediocre side happend so quickly it's still hard to believe.

I guess what I trying to say is because it happend so fast there was no thought or worry about upcoming seasons.It was always we will come good this season or the next.

For the first time ever as a fan I am shitting myself at the thought not only of the next few seasons but more about the next five months.

I really do feel that from now to start of next season could be the most defining in the clubs history since Shanks came here.

So many things inside the club have got to be sorted out and quickly,because if they arn't we are going to fall behind so many sides so quickly,it will take year's to catch up.

The worst part of all this is the fact so little time and on my part,so little belief the changes can be done in time.

We have to get them cunts out of the club,they need to know how hated they are and also that unless they get the funds to start the building of the new stadium,then the cash cow they wanted with us wont happen.That there best option is sell now because the value of the club is going down daily with no sign of that changing for along time to come.

We need to get a major cash pot inplace for next season or to sell at least one of either the chief and the likes of Babel and say Agger to get on my reckoning four to six players of class that we need.

Throw into that mix a new manager,don't ask me who because I have no idea,but I do know that we will never win a title with Rafa in charge.I think he is believing in all this hype and has lost any hunger he had for taking the club back to the top.

Sorry people I stop there because If I carry on I be writting from now till christmas.

I have supported the club from the 73/74 season.Seen all the amazing sides we have had since then,seen us beat everything europe has thrown at us and outclass any side in england as well.

Nobody saw or could of predicted the sudden decline in the trophy less years that descended upon us.That sudden change from winning trophy after trophy to basically a mediocre side happend so quickly it's still hard to believe.

I guess what I trying to say is because it happend so fast there was no thought or worry about upcoming seasons.It was always we will come good this season or the next.

For the first time ever as a fan I am shitting myself at the thought not only of the next few seasons but more about the next five months.

I really do feel that from now to start of next season could be the most defining in the clubs history since Shanks came here.

So many things inside the club have got to be sorted out and quickly,because if they arn't we are going to fall behind so many sides so quickly,it will take year's to catch up.

The worst part of all this is the fact so little time and on my part,so little belief the changes can be done in time.

We have to get them cunts out of the club,they need to know how hated they are and also that unless they get the funds to start the building of the new stadium,then the cash cow they wanted with us wont happen.That there best option is sell now because the value of the club is going down daily with no sign of that changing for along time to come.

We need to get a major cash pot inplace for next season or to sell at least one of either the chief and the likes of Babel and say Agger to get on my reckoning four to six players of class that we need.

Throw into that mix a new manager,don't ask me who because I have no idea,but I do know that we will never win a title with Rafa in charge.I think he is believing in all this hype and has lost any hunger he had for taking the club back to the top.

Sorry people I stop there because If I carry on I be writting from now till christmas.

Great post mate. I don't totally agree on the Rafa part, but everything else I agree 100%.

The bit in bold sums it up for me. There are so many issues need sorting now, but how many times have we said those words in the past 3 seasons? We think it has to come to a head, something has to give, but it never ever does. It just keeps simmering and simmering on and on. It is draining the fans of all hope, little by little, to the point where good reds who've followed us the world over all their lives no longer have the heart for the fight. Just absolutely gut wrenching.

It's been said a thousand times, but it needs saying again.

Thank you David Moores, thank you Rick Parry.

Great post mate. I don't totally agree on the Rafa part, but everything else I agree 100%.

The bit in bold sums it up for me. There are so many issues need sorting now, but how many times have we said those words in the past 3 seasons? We think it has to come to a head, something has to give, but it never ever does. It just keeps simmering and simmering on and on. It is draining the fans of all hope, little by little, to the point where good reds who've followed us the world over all their lives no longer have the heart for the fight. Just absolutely gut wrenching.

It's been said a thousand times, but it needs saying again.

Thank you David Moores, thank you Rick Parry.

My son is 7 this year and has really started to take an interest in all things Red. Unfortunately, I am having to lie to him when he asks if I am excited about the game, who I think will score, etc. Have an awful feeling come 1st September this club will never be the same again.

Speaking of the above former experts in football club sales to cancerous vermin, has ATK heard anything more since his meeting a few weeks back?

Thanks mate it's certainly soul destroying to watch what is happening.

The Rafa part by the way I do truely believe.I am neither pro or anti Rafa.I was asked two seasons.ago if I thought he could bring us the title.My answer was maybe he could.

Now no way and that is because how can a sane person have a whole season knowing that the quality of Alonso was off back to Spain.Knowing we would be sparse in midfield with only Stevie and Masch having any class in that postion.Knowing Lucas was risky to play a lead role there.Decide to spend £20 million on a player he new would play no major part in the season at all and then play Stevie in the hole behind Nando and not in centre midfield were he can influence games from.

Seriously a world class defencsive midfielder and a very risky young defenscive midfielder as the creative partnership for starting any attacking play from us.

Great post.

Had my season ticket since 1984, seen the good the bad and now what I call the ugly.

I can remember crying like a kid losing to Wimbledon at Wembley. I can remember thinking it was the end of the world after losing to the Mancs at Wembley in 96. I was upset losing in the last game in 89 but after that season and just about getting out alive at Hillsborough it meant more to me winning the FA cup that year.

Since then, we experienced the Souness years where I guess we are at a simular stage now; good players replaced with poorer replacements. Clueless football which took us backwards.

Then Roy Evans took over and I thought that he just might get us back to where we belong but in the end I guess it was just a case of a lack of discipline at the club that was the downfall under him; player power was starting to take over.

Ged came in to steady the ship. It was a strange partnership and one that was doomed from day one to fail. Roy left, Ged took full control and suddenly we were signing a lot more so called overseas stars under his command. 2001 was a very enjoyable season, not for the brand of footbal - when you look back at old DVD's of that season we were poor to watch but the journeys we went on in those cup runs were great that year. I mean that semi against the mighty Wycombe Wanderers.....

Cardiff twice, Dortmund, Goodison last minute, guaranteeing champions league football. Just a rollacoaster season and one we all enjoyed.

Then we had a couple of really poor seasons under Ged. It started the season we lost at Stamford Bridge last game of the season. I think we kept Houllier on a season too long after that and in all honesty he should have been replaced then, but hey ho.

Rafa comes in, and we have the european cup journey that ended in a final that will never ever ever be repeated. When you think back to the great performance against Juventus at home, the way we shut up shop away against them with Igor playing a blinder, and the belief us travelling fans had at the Semi final at Stamford Bridge in the first leg, showing that shower of plastic flag waving chavs how to support a team. Remember the 90 minute rendition of La bamba?

And then on to the 2nd leg at Anfield - never in all my years have I experienced an atmosphere like it. What a night, in a way for all the right reasons it was as good as winning the cup that night.

Istanbul, and it looked like we had finally be found out. 3 down at half time and we were dead and burried. I had a great week in Istanbul, but at half time I didnt give us a hope of turning it around. Damage limitation was what I was hoping for. Hoping we wouldnt get dicked 5 or 6 nil in a final. I remember at half time some Irish lad in the bogs screaming at everyone not to give up hope. We can do these he said. He had the belief that the majority including myself just didnt have.

He was right. We did it, and it was the proudest moment of my life seeing Stevie raise big ears above his head. I cried with pride. Couldnt stop. What a come back. What a game. An arl fella who I stood next too was in tears too. He said, Lad, you will never have to go to another game again. This will never ever be bettered. I think he was right.

Look at us now. The game has changed, a new brand of supporter goes to the game. They dont sing, they dont value traditions and I dont think they really care if we lose on a Saturday afternoon. Well at least not as much as the support we had in the 80's and 90's.

It was starting in the late 90's. The atmosphere before we scored at Cardiff against Arsenal in 2001 will alway stick with me. Our end were so quiet, so poor and embarrasing. When we scored we came to life. Was the same against West Ham in 2006, but I think Istanbul played a part in that one. Even though it was a really good match, it was never going to mean as much as what we won the year before. West Ham's fans deserved that win that day. So did their players.

After Ged last two season of woe, Rafa gave us some pride back, but lets face it, it was the players who won it, not him. Now it seems he has lost the plot, a bit like Houllier in his last season.

Athens was awful. It seemed all those that missed the Istanbul bandwagon had to get out to Athens. Like someone mentioned before, the way the club played the numbers game and the way some of our so called fans behaved out there was disgraceful.

I am frightened that we are about to become the next Leeds United. All this debt, no sugar daddy to make it all better. Its all doom and gloom at the moment. However if it happens it happens. Like so many have said, I just dont care anymore. The game has given me so many ups and downs over the years, I guess Istanbul was the ultimate high which will never ever again be eclipsed.

I dont enjoy going anymore. The cost is riduclous and the product we are buying and watching is shite. But its not just us is it though? Its the whole premier league. Look at the support at Old Trafford when the camera pans around to the crowd. Daytrippers United they should be renamed. Souless. But we are going the same way,

I reckon that in 5 years time, stadiums will be half empty and we will all be watching our games on Sky on a HD or 3D season ticket. Thats if I can still be arsed.

By then I wonder if I'll be interested to watch it? Whilst the managers concentrate more and more on not losing rather than winning it all just seems boring and dull. Its not what attracted me to the sport or wont keep me and others motivated to go much longer.

I dont mind supporting my team and travelling all over to do so, but I want to see attractive attacking football. I dont mind losing as long as we have thrown the kitchen sink at the opposition to try and equalise. Passion and Pride are all that I want to see on the pitch. Without it, then they may not get it back from us in the stands for much longer. Not for the price we pay to go anymore thats for sure.

I have had some of the best nights and weekends of my life following LFC. I have met some great people who I meet for a bevvy and have a laugh with. Now the social side of it has taken over the attraction of the match to the point where I am thinking every match I would rather stay in the pub and watch it on the screen than go to the game.

This football club is different though to any other. Its the spiritual bond us supporters have to the club, Manager and players. Its like no other.

But is it? Are we any better than Man City fans? More loyal than Leeds fans or the Geordies? I guess we have to appreciate now we have no divine right to being the best football team or to sign the best players.

Its time now for the players to make us feel proud again and make everyone look forward to goin the match. Without us, I fear for our future.

I can't let that go without saying that if he'd been allowed to buy Simao, Silva Alves and Villa when he wanted things could have been a lot different. OK, forget Alves because that was silly money they paid (or it looked like it at the time) but the other three should have been well within the budgets.

Shallow men believe in luck, believe in circumstances -- it was somebody's name, or he happened to be there at the time, or it was so then, and another day would have been otherwise. Strong men believe in cause and effect.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson.