You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What is wrong with our team?

Boomshakalaka

Well he doesn't kick the ball of course, but I always think in terms of responsibility and decision-making (which is why I was - and remain - an advocate of his current contract) which is why I see it all as being down to him. I don't accept that the rapid decline is down to the ownership or financial situations, either. He could have balanced the books via different decisions in the transfer market.

I understand that. The way I see it he's accountable for the players not being able to pass 10 yards, but the player is responsible. No player who hasn't been able to pass the ball 10 yards for an entire season deserves a get out of jail free card. Rafa doesn't get one for the owners, the players don't get one for not being able to do what 12 years old kids can.

I've been in situations where I've had a mish-mash of accountability, responsibility and authority, so the differences are maybe feel more significant for me.

Semantics aside though, I thought Wigan would be last season's Middlesborough. But that was no wounded animal.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YouTube - Ivanovic 090408 vs Liverpool (2)

This is the moment it all started to go wrong for us defensively. Minutes after scoring from a set piece, Ivanovic was able to score an identical goal from a set piece. This and what must be 30 goals conceded from set pieces since is what every team in europe who plays against us will look at as our major weakness and they exploit it time after time. Unfortunately it doesn't look like rafa can fix it and every time we concede a free kick or a corner we look like we will concede and it's sucked the confidence right out of us.

Me and I think it was catch22 said at the time. RED ALERT. Systematic flaws in the defending and it was more than just set pieces. Those same flaws have been repeated all season and have been exacerbated by partnerships that just don't work.

I'm giving Gerrard some dispensation because lets face it, if anybody can be excused for a bad run of form - it's him. One things for certain form is temporary and class is permanent.

The machine is broken - and the fact that a vital cog in the machine (Gerrard) is under performing just highlights the lack of quality elsewhere in the team.

In my mind when you have Kuyt, Lucas and Insua on the same pitch as good of triers that they are they are severely lacking where it matters. We are missing a link between the midfield and attack. Aquilani was supposed to be this and could still be , but at the moment when we do get the ball to Gerrard hes trying to do too much due to lack of support. This causes Torres to become more isolated and he tries to play the channels instead of staying in the middle where he is most dangerous.

I'm giving Gerrard some dispensation because lets face it, if anybody can be excused for a bad run of form - it's him. One things for certain form is temporary and class is permanent.

The machine is broken - and the fact that a vital cog in the machine (Gerrard) is under performing just highlights the lack of quality elsewhere in the team.

In my mind when you have Kuyt, Lucas and Insua on the same pitch as good of triers that they are they are severely lacking where it matters. We are missing a link between the midfield and attack. Aquilani was supposed to be this and could still be , but at the moment when we do get the ball to Gerrard hes trying to do too much due to lack of support. This causes Torres to become more isolated and he tries to play the channels instead of staying in the middle where he is most dangerous.

If he was playing bad while really trying, I'd agree. He isn't trying so deserves any grief he gets.

Yep, i was looking forward to it.

I expected the captain of Liverpool to put in 100% every game. He shouldn't be sulking. What good will that do?

Gerrard is a great player and when he's on song takes us to another level. But when he's off form he drags the whole team down because he still insists everything goes through him - he takes nearly every corner, most free kicks. takes the ball off team-mates, moans if they're not passing it to him, moans when they can't collect his mis-directed passes or fancy flicks. Lately he's stopped tackling and tracking back - even when it's him who's lost the ball. If I was a young player trying to make it I'd hate playing for a captain like him when he's in this mood.

He's been like this nearly all season but he's undroppable because of what he's done in the past and because we're desperate for him to find form and he's not going to do that on the bench.

Gerrard is a great player but he's undroppable because of what he's done in the past and because we're desperate for him to find form and he's not going to do that on the bench.

Nobody is undroppable. Look he may be sulking but surely the best thing to do is take from him what he holds most dear. You may think captaincy but surely it is the actual playing. Captain is an ego thing. You could shout at him, plead with him, even try an arm round the shoulder and prompt him but all else fails the bench is the only place.

He is walking when he should be running, watching when he should be tackling and trying long balls when he should be making space for others with little passes and moving to collect the ball so we can get numbers up with him. This then gives him more options.

As you stated his lack of moral is affecting the whole team. He needs to lift himself. Sit him on the bench until he actually wants to get back on to the pitch to be involved. We will soon witness a change.

Of course Rafa may see this is counter productive as it takes the talisman and inpsiration away from the team. I could be mistaken but the talisman is now past success and the inspiration well that is not losing. Yet we still lose.

Arrrrghhhhhhhh

Secondly, as Slaven Bilic pointed out on MOTD2 after the Man City game (very refreshing to hear a pundit talk tactics for a change), a 4-2-3-1 formation only really works if your full backs overlap and help create space for the midfielders.

QUOTE]

I was impressed at the way Bilic came across on that show.

Seemed articulate, knowledgable and intelligent.

Pity he's a former Blue.

Gerrards a fan just like us, hes hurting badly. Where you looking forward to this game after the Mancs tharshed Milan last night and here we where playing the channel 5 cup. He's only human. He's sulking more than not trying.

I don't think he is sulking, I think he's realised the season is a write off and he's not going to go full pelt and end up injured before the World Cup.

Might also be the reason one or two others appear not to be arsed.

fucking hell - everyone is so quick to turn on Gerrard at the moment

lets start with the manager first shall we

Surely by that way of thinking we should start with the owners.

If you're arguing that Gerrard would perform better with a new manager, do you not think Rafa would perform better with new owners?

do you not think Rafa would perform better with new owners?

no

this myth that Rafa has not been backed is bollocks

he has spent cash to build the team in his image: boring and uninspiring

to think he would have done things differently with different owners is bullshit

for example he wanted Xabi out so he could get in Barry - no cos he needed the cash

no

this myth that Rafa has not been backed is bollocks

he has spent cash to build the team in his image: boring and uninspiring

to think he would have done things differently with different owners is bullshit

for example he wanted Xabi out so he could get in Barry - no cos he needed the cash

Well, to the same extent, do you not feel Gerrard has been backed by his manager? Do you not feel he's been given a position which has improved his game and turned him into a consistent goalscorer?

Well, to the same extent, do you not feel Gerrard has been backed by his manager? Do you not feel he's been given a position which has improved his game and turned him into a consistent goalscorer?

i would have preferred Gerard to be moved back to midfield and get in a proper stike partner for Torres this season

Rafa settled on Gerrard supporting Torres originally cos it allowed him to field his best midfielders - without dropping Kuyt

however with Alonso gone this is no longer the case - though the Kuyt part is still true LOL!

i would have preferred Gerard to be moved back to midfield and get in a proper stike partner for Torres this season

Rafa settled on Gerrard supporting Torres originally cos it allowed him to field his best midfielders - without dropping Kuyt

however with Alonso gone this is no longer the case - though the Kuyt part is still true LOL!

I think Rafa put Gerrard there because he wanted to get the best out of him myself, but if you disagree that's fine.

I'm personally not convinced by Gerrard in midfield in this formation. I think we need someone a bit more neat and tidy. Just for the record, I don't think Lucas is that player either. I think we did need to sign someone who can pass the ball around similarly to Xabi, because I don't think gerrard is that sort of player.

If Gerrard Makes the World Cup squad it will be based on the player he used to be, as he'd struggle for playing time at any other PL team judged on his current performances....

He has been so shit lately he's been on par with Kuyt and Lucas, add the sulking and I would be prepared to give Pacheco a run in the side and bench him.....

If Gerrard Makes the World Cup squad it will be based on the player he used to be, as he'd struggle for playing time at any other PL team judged on his current performances....

He has been so shit lately he's been on par with Kuyt and Lucas, add the sulking and I would be prepared to give Pacheco a run in the side and bench him.....

words... fail..... me.....