You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If Torres was forced to leave.......

KOP1975

....he wont join City according to him

Striker Fernando Torres says he would rather move to Spanish side Barcelona, than stay in English football if he is forced to leave Liverpool. The Reds may have to sell Torres, 25, to help repay the club's financial debt with Chelsea and Manchester City interested.[/quoteIT]

You reckon we will have to sell?

I cant see it myself - espcially as we are tying everyone down to new long contracts.

I'm not too worried about the likes of Torres being "sold off" and I'll tell you why: In a perverse way, Torres staying actually helps the Yanks stay at Liverpool.

They're only still here as they're able to borrow against the assets of the club - ie the players and the stadium.

If torres leaves then that's a huge chunk of asset equity walking out the door.

Yes, selling him would be a short term cash injection and could pay of a considerable chunk of credit, but leveraged finance doesn't operate on paying off your debts in large chunks, it operates on simply managing them in small doses.

For that reason alone he's going nowhere.

So we can all breath easy....

Reality check tho

D'ont like him talking that way.Feel betrayed just thinking about it.

It just looks like a lot of bollocks to me. Who knows what question he was asked, in what context it was asked, whether he actually offered that answer or whehter it was suggested. That's not even a quote, it's just an excerpt from the BBC gossip column, which itself has a link to this story:

"According to Spanish newspaper Sport, Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is keen on a move to Catalan giants Barcelona, if he is forced to leave Anfield.

Sport suggests that Liverpool may have to sell their prized assets, including Torres in order to help repay the club's large financial debt. Although both Chelsea and Manchester City have been linked with the 25 year-old, Torres reportedly would prefer a move to Barcelona.

Sport discounts the possibility of a transfer to Real Madrid, given Torres' loyalty to his former club Atletico Madrid. But the Liverpool striker apparently feels "a great sympathy" for Barcelona and "wouldn't hesitate a single moment" to move to the Nou Camp.

During his time at Atletico Madrid, Barcelona president Joan Laporta "was flirting" with the signing of Torres, according to Sport.

"El Nino" has been outstanding since moving to Anfield in 2007 and has scored 13 goals in 21 matches for Lvierpool so far this season."

I'm not too worried about the likes of Torres being "sold off" and I'll tell you why: In a perverse way, Torres staying actually helps the Yanks stay at Liverpool.

They're only still here as they're able to borrow against the assets of the club - ie the players and the stadium.

If torres leaves then that's a huge chunk of asset equity walking out the door.

Yes, selling him would be a short term cash injection and could pay of a considerable chunk of credit, but leveraged finance doesn't operate on paying off your debts in large chunks, it operates on simply managing them in small doses.

For that reason alone he's going nowhere.

So we can all breath easy....

Errr, your description of how leveraged finance works is wrong. FACT.

By its very nature, LBO finance makes its returns by paying back its debt in large chunks, as the investment horizon for leveraged finance deals is generally relatively short, say about 5 years. The most common way the that an LBO makes its profit is to buy something, increase its value over the 5 years, and then selling it at a higher value, paying off all the debt and whats left being profit. There may be debt in the company afterwards, but that is 'different' debt, and the acquisition debt has been paid in full, in one large chunk.

A more relevant example of how leveraged financiers can get their returns would be asset stripping/divestment/spin-off, where they believe that the individual assets are worth more seperately than what they have had to pay for the whole. In this case, they would sell the asset, and use the proceeds to reduce debt, in a large chunk, so that they can make a return quicker, and also because without the sold asset, they business will generate less profit/cash to service their debts, so they need to be reduced.

Just thought I'd let you know like

You are right about Torres staying keeping the yanks in longer though

"According to Spanish newspaper Sport, Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is keen on a move to Catalan giants Barcelona, if he is forced to leave Anfield.

Sport suggests that Liverpool may have to sell their prized assets, including Torres in order to help repay the club's large financial debt. Although both Chelsea and Manchester City have been linked with the 25 year-old, Torres reportedly would prefer a move to Barcelona.

Sport discounts the possibility of a transfer to Real Madrid, given Torres' loyalty to his former club Atletico Madrid. But the Liverpool striker apparently feels "a great sympathy" for Barcelona and "wouldn't hesitate a single moment" to move to the Nou Camp.

During his time at Atletico Madrid, Barcelona president Joan Laporta "was flirting" with the signing of Torres, according to Sport.

"El Nino" has been outstanding since moving to Anfield in 2007 and has scored 13 goals in 21 matches for Lvierpool so far this season."

What an absolute pile of tripe!

So Torres "wouldn't hesitate a single moment" to move to the Nou Camp? Load of cock and balls.

For the sake of the children, will someone please lock this thread.

Doe's anyone know or have any idea if the owners could sell players to help pay off the loan.

Would the bank have made this a condition in there last refinancing of the loan.

I know the bank have said over transfers,that only money put in by owners or from selling of players can be used for transfers.

It just seems if the owners can sell players to pay off the loan would devalue the.club.I suppose the bank wouldn't be arsed as it would be off there loan I guess.

Thing is that's bit worrying as wouldnt that mean in theory they could sell off say the best players in one go and pocket the cash,leaving the club in the hands of the bank.

Guest ShoePiss
Doe's anyone know or have any idea if the owners could sell players to help pay off the loan.

Would the bank have made this a condition in there last refinancing of the loan.

I know the bank have said over transfers,that only money put in by owners or from selling of players can be used for transfers.

It just seems if the owners can sell players to pay off the loan would devalue the.club.I suppose the bank wouldn't be arsed as it would be off there loan I guess.

Thing is that's bit worrying as wouldnt that mean in theory they could sell off say the best players in one go and pocket the cash,leaving the club in the hands of the bank.

Asset stripping?

Asset stripping?

If you sell an asset above its reasonable market price, it is not really asset stripping, but smart business, provided that you replace the original asset with a similar asset priced at reasonable market price.

That is assuming a lot as far as LFC goes, however anything posted here is assuming all kinds of possible things, as no one really has any facts available.

What part of him saying the only team he would play for other then this current struggling Liverpool side is the greatest team in world football, is a betrayal?

Chill brother.Was referring to the wooden planks when i mentioned betrayal.

Them cunts would sell their own mothers to make a quick buck IMO

Guest ShoePiss
If you sell an asset above its reasonable market price, it is not really asset stripping, but smart business, provided that you replace the original asset with a similar asset priced at reasonable market price.

That is assuming a lot as far as LFC goes, however anything posted here is assuming all kinds of possible things, as no one really has any facts available.

Yeah that's right, I don't see any indication so far that selling Torres wouldn't be anything other than asset stripping though. I can only go off what has happened in the past, not what they may do in the future.

Also what do you consider reasonable market price for Torres?

Also what do you consider reasonable market price for Torres?

I'd guess about 35-40 million pounds, but I do not have any data from the clubs, so what do I know. I simply assume that the price paid by RM for Figo or Zidane was exaggerated then, possibly closer to reality now. The prices paid last summer by ManC and RM are not based on a normal business model and clubs, even these two, cannot continue this stupidity. If someone offers 100 million, the owners would have to be idiots not to sell (from a pure business point of view).

Guest ShoePiss
I'd guess about 35-40 million pounds, but I do not have any data from the clubs, so what do I know. I simply assume that the price paid by RM for Figo or Zidane was exaggerated then, possibly closer to reality now. The prices paid last summer by ManC and RM are not based on a normal business model and clubs, even these two, cannot continue this stupidity. If someone offers 100 million, the owners would have to be idiots not to sell (from a pure business point of view).

Yeah they're operating on a different level but they still influence the market for everyone else.

I think anyone we bought as a replacement for Torres would be inferior not even taking into account that all money received for him wouldn't go towards a replacement in the first place.