You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fifa to scrap the offside rule?

Mendoza

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any rule change has to ratified by the International Football Association Board (IFAB), in charge of governing the laws of the game. The board seems to consist almost entirely of fuddy-duddies with little to no interest in the game. They also only seem to meet once or twice a year to discuss issues.

Blatter is such a fucking tool.

There really is nothing wrong with the offside rule as it stands. Decisions are nearly always clear-cut and correct. (Half of the "controversial" ones only serve to show how ignorant and inadequate the pundits are.) True, a handful of dodgy calls are made, as they are on every refereeing decision. Should we chuck out all the rules? Or should Blatter just shut the fuck up?

Decisions, decisions.....

In the mid-70's the Amreicans drew a line across the pitch in each half so that you could only be offside within 35 yds of the goal.

If it was good enough for Pele, Best, Cruyff, Beckenbauer and Carlos Alberto it must be good enough for the overpaid primadonna's of today.

May as well get rid of goalkeepers and defenders too. The game has been bastardised beyond recognition in pursuit of more goals. Without offside the game will follow the scoring pattern of fucking basketball. Blatter is a twat who deserves fast acting, maximum strength AIDS. Can't these people just leave the game alone? Football is about attack and defence, the one constantly struggling for ascendency over the other. Since I have been watching the game, every 'new' rule has favoured the forward's - even this fucking stupid offside rule, as it stands, is weighted in the attackers' favour - and I don't get excited watching 4-4 draws.

Fucking Blatter twat.

That's why most goalies look shite these days because at every tournament the balls are made lighter so they travel faster.

Look knobheads, I'm not a yank, I can enjoy a sport without seeing biggest/baddest/bestest goals ever.

People from shit footballing countries should have no say in the future of the game IMO.

That's why most goalies look shite these days because at every tournament the balls are made lighter so they travel faster.

Look knobheads, I'm not a yank, I can enjoy a sport without seeing

That is a myth perpetuated by the media, the ball has to be within the weights specified by FIFA. About 16oz or the metric equivalent I think.

the only problem would be free kicks really

imagine every player in front of the keeper on the line blocking goalies view?

actually,howard and neville couldnt even cope with one of our players.....so lets bring it on and twat them 12 - 0 every derby!

That would be the only problem?? Football would be a mess. No more defence splitting passes. No more perfect timed runs to get on the end of them. It will be Sam Allardyce football every single game. It would be a disaster.I cant believe it will ever happen, cant believe its even being considered.

It don't matter to Blatter

He's mad as a Hatter

Comes up with mad patter

Female footballer? He'd twat'er

That JT bloke - give him a silver platter, inscribed with the legend 'Every other country would have given you the keys to the place/made you President/put you in control of the financial system - BLATTER

I don't think it will at the top level. What it would do is de-congest the midfield ensuring that teams that can pass the ball will destroy those that can't.

I suppose when you look at it that way it could lead to the fitter teams with the better footballing ability in their sides that would benefit.

Still think it's stupid idea though!

I suppose when you look at it that way it could lead to the fitter teams with the better footballing ability in their sides that would benefit.

Still think it's stupid idea though!

If poor teams hoof the ball forward they will lose possession more often than not, the de-congested midfield would allow the technically better teams to create more chances because they won't be stifled in midfield.

I think the poorer teams would pack their defence even more though, but the best team would win more than they do under the current rules.

What is needed is to revert to the old offside law and do away with all the interfering with play nonsense.

A simple offside law that is easily understood is the way forward, rather than the dubious law we now have, which is far too prone to wide ranging interpretation and abuse.

As for doing away with the law altogether: bad idea. Whoever said the game is about attack and defence was spot on. There is something great about a well organised defence doing its stuff. That is just as much a part of the beautiful game as Nando doing his stuff.