You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Agger

Antynwa

Guest Numero Veinticinco
After the event no.

But right now it is.

And even if you were to give him that kind of power has he done anything yet to fill you with confidence?

The total mishandling of The Agger & Carroll situations, (and don't anyone try to insult our intelligence by claiming it hasn't been utterly piss poor.) his transfer targets:

Sigurdsson

Borini

Allen

Williams (if Agger leaves)

All suggest a very limited vision regarding transfers.

You include Williams, which has no credibility at all, but you fail to mention the likes of Şahin, Godin, Walcott, Calléjon, et al. Vision has been limited, but I'm not sure it's Rodgers', mate.

According to the times, the reason we've hardened our position and our valuation on Agger is the fee City paid for Rodwell. So, it's not Agger's value to the team that should rule out any deal, or Agger's loyalty to the club, but what City pays for other players. Tell me now how much you love being run like business.

According to the times, the reason we've hardened our position and our valuation on Agger is the fee City paid for Rodwell. So, it's not Agger's value to the team that should rule out any deal, or Agger's loyalty to the club, but what City pays for other players. Tell me now how much you love being run like business.

Won't be any worse than how we've been run for the last twenty plus years. Might prove to be a lot better.

Why?

We played essentially the same way for 50 years pass & move with periodical dalliances with other styles under Houllier & Hodgson but for the vast majority of the time it's been possession based.

You could argue he's a decent fit, but I'm fairly confident that the football won't be significantly better than it was at its best under Kenny last year.

You might be right and it might not seem that much different, I just think Rodgers tactics might prove a bit more consistent and be a better foundation to work from than we've seen over the last few years.

anything below £35 million shouldnt be countenanced. Unless its a foreign team.

Agger's one of my top 3 players but even then I'd probably consider 27mil or more seriously. But yeah I don't want to see him go at all, and telling them something like that (35mil or fuck off.) might do the trick.

Even at 27mil I'd (personally.) say fuck off, but at that price I think you have to look at what you could maybe do for the club, especially if you've got a great defender in mind for around 15-17 and can put the rest towards another player.

Edited by Red Phoenix

It's the harsh reality of not having a bottomless pit. It ain't great but Agger can be replaced. I would obviously rather he stayed, but it's not the end of the world and a good defence is better than the sum of its parts.

You might be right and it might not seem that much different, I just think Rodgers tactics might prove a bit more consistent and be a better foundation to work from than we've seen over the last few years.

Agger's one of my top 3 players but even then I'd probably consider 27mil or more seriously. But yeah I don't want to see him go at all, and telling them something like that (35mil or fuck off.) might do the trick.

£27m plus the English rival tax. £27m is fair if it were Barca or PSG or someone.

He is one of the best centre backs in the world. What did they pay for Lescott for example?

Fuck them even at 27mil anyway!

He really is one of my favourite players and City should be told to just fuck off. If they're so interested they can try again next season but keep the demands exactly the same, he's one of the best defenders around. Mancini is already pissed off with Marwood (sp?) and not getting Danny might make him flip more over the course of the season as whatever pressure they face starts to bite.

£27m plus the English rival tax. £27m is fair if it were Barca or PSG or someone.

He is one of the best centre backs in the world. What did they pay for Lescott for example?

Haha, didn't see this before posting. Yeah I think I pretty much agree with you now.

Dicko, what the hell happened to you? I seem to remember you as pretty level-headed..? Some of the shit you're giving Rodgers on here is quite embarassing TBH.

For the record, we will have a much better season performance-wise in 12/13 than we had in 11/12, and that will do me just fine. Give him time to build, and see where it takes us. The days of paying 30m in managerial pay-offs and 300 gazillion in squad rebuilding every 3-4 seasons is hopefully over. We are acting like a club intent on living off what we can generate ourselves through suceess on the pitch and, indirectly, operational profits. The billion dollar golden sugardaddy will never arrive, so just come to terms with the fact that the chances of us winning the league again are miniscule if we don't take a very long-term and patient approach.

Have you seen the first five pages of the Rodgers thread.

Were everyone to a man was made up he'd fucked us off.

And was calling him an arrogant cunt for thinking what he'd achieved somehow entitled him to be considered ahead of names like Capello, Benitez, Van Gaal & AVB and that he refused to be involved in a beauty pageant.

Well nothing's changed as far as I am concerned he was an arrogant cunt then and he's an arrogant cunt now.

I just haven't changed my tune simply because he's been given the fucking job.

I'll have to get on with it but I don't have to like it.

But it appears I'm pissing people off so I'll fuck off for a bit

Have you seen the first five pages of the Rodgers thread.

Were everyone to a man was made up he'd fucked us off.

And was calling him an arrogant cunt for thinking what he'd achieved somehow entitled him to be considered ahead of names like Capello, Benitez, Van Gaal & AVB and that he refused to be involved in a beauty pageant.

Well nothing's changed as far as I am concerned he was an arrogant cunt then and he's an arrogant cunt now.

I just haven't changed my tune simply because he's been given the fucking job.

I'll have to get on with it but I don't have to like it.

But it appears I'm pissing people off so I'll fuck off for a bit

You seem to be willing him to fail though, Dicko.

I didn't want Rodgers. My gut feeling is that he's not the right man for the job. I am, however, willing to give him a chance. That's the difference.

According to Danish media today, that's exactly what he's done once already! Whether that is true or not I don't know, but he does not want to leave LFC - legend!

if thats true what a guy! I think pretty much anyone else in our squad would jump at the chance aside from Stevie and Carra, even the seemingly loyal ones like Lucas and Suarez, so makes him a bit of a mad bastard but carry on by all means Mr Agger

It's definitely going to leave a sour taste if Agger goes now. I'm convinced now that, seeing as he wants to stay, it's suicide to let him go. It means that a) we're under pressure to sign an adequate replacement b) that Carragher is going to play more than he should or c) that Coates is getting thrown in at the deep end but most importantly d) we're shipping out our best even when they DON'T fucking want to leave.

I don't like it. If he wanted to go, then fine, but seeing as he doesn't, it's making me feel very uneasy.

It's the first thing this summer that I've had a major issue with.

I was quite convinced a few days ago, Agger was gone, now I'm NOT to sure.... With Agger coming out making clear statements he want to stay regardless. Then we have Gerrard interview, placing it in the owner court.... if Agger leaves there going to a MASSIVE backlash against the owners. For that reason a lone, i'm thinking the owners will bottle it, leaving Agger to stay.

It's definitely going to leave a sour taste if Agger goes now. I'm convinced now that, seeing as he wants to stay, it's suicide to let him go. It means that a) we're under pressure to sign an adequate replacement b) that Carragher is going to play more than he should or c) that Coates is getting thrown in at the deep end but most importantly d) we're shipping out our best even when they DON'T fucking want to leave.

I don't like it. If he wanted to go, then fine, but seeing as he doesn't, it's making me feel very uneasy.

This.

Who the fuck could we get to replace him? Not exactly seeing many quality centre backs on the transfer market right now, and anyone we did go in for, you can bet anything that the club of the player we went after would demand a ridiculous fee, in the knowledge that we had a bit of money going spare.

The alternative to that is an inexperienced Coates, or an over the hill Carragher alongside Skrtel. Fuck that right off. Agger must stay.

Someone should precis all this and pass it to Brendan Rodgers and ensure he has these facts - I'm sure he has no idea of what he needs in his team or what sort of player Agger is.

It should be pointed out, in the strongest terms that he's 'commiting suicide'.

I'd have absolutely no qualms about selling him for £20m, as I would have done a week ago if he wanted to go, and I believed he wanted to go (I didn't believe he wanted to stay at first). But if a player who plays the right way doesn't want to leave then the club should not sell him, Rogers doesn't want him to go either, so this is purely the management. And befor anyone argues, Caroll is not ideal to fit in to the way we play so he would be nothing more than a squad player and therefore selling him is the best thing all around.

I do think Agger is injury prone, even in his best season he still missed a good chunk of the season. Accepting a player wants to go and getting the best price, or seeing a player as surplus to requirements is one thing but pushing out a player who is seen as an important player who doesn't want to go himself is wrong.

For this reason alone I don't think he will leave.

I'd have absolutely no qualms about selling him for £20m, as I would have done a week ago if he wanted to go, and I believed he wanted to go (I didn't believe he wanted to stay at first). But if a player who plays the right way doesn't want to leave then the club should not sell him, Rogers doesn't want him to go either, so this is purely the management. And befor anyone argues, Caroll is not ideal to fit in to the way we play so he would be nothing more than a squad player and therefore selling him is the best thing all around.

I do think Agger is injury prone, even in his best season he still missed a good chunk of the season. Accepting a player wants to go and getting the best price, or seeing a player as surplus to requirements is one thing but pushing out a player who is seen as an important player who doesn't want to go himself is wrong.

For this reason alone I don't think he will leave.

I agree with most of this but the bottom line is that we cannot rely on getting more than 50% availability from Agger - he has never managed more than 45% since he's been here and he's 28 now. There's no reason to expect his fitness to get any better.

This thread is getting very close to a declaration that Agger (and his wants and needs) is actually "bigger than the club".