You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton and Liverpool FC meet for stadium talks

LIVERPOOL FC and Everton FC were today sitting down for a top-level stadium summit with city council leaders.

Representatives from Liverpool university and the North West Development Agency (NWDA) were also expected to attend.

LFC chief executive Christian Purslow and his Everton counterpart Robert Elstone are trying to find a solution to their outdated grounds. Both were due at the meeting.

It is understood the clubs will be urged to let the university carry out a feasibility study into options.

NWDA chief executive Steve Broomhead said: "We welcome the meeting. People are beginning to look at the opportunities again. Both clubs need solutions, either singly or jointly."

Both Everton and Liverpool declined to comment on the meeting.

One option that may be examined during the meeting is the "football quarter" put forward by fans' group Keep Everton in Our City (KEIOC).

The KEIOC idea would see Goodison Park rebuilt – with a hotel and other developments around Stanley Park helping pay for it.

In a separate development Liverpool Labour leader Joe Anderson is writing to EFC and LFC to suggest they enter into a feasibility study with the council about the possibility of a shared stadium. He said the option needed ruling in or out once and for all, and that above all clarity was needed.

City council leader Warren Bradley has said he thinks the idea of a football quarter based around Stanley Park is a "cracking idea".

In the past any talk of a shared stadium has always been ruled out by Liverpool FC.

The club maintains it remains committed to building a new £400m, 60,000 seater ground in Stanley Park. It is understood the club is looking for £100m to get work started – but has so far struggled to raise the cash.

Building a new stadium is Purslow's number one priority. The lack of progress is a prime source of discontent among fans fed up with US owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Everton fans are equally desperate for a new home.

The club was forced back to the drawing board after the government rejected the £400m Tesco/Kirkby project.

It is understood the club is now studying the possibility of re-developing Goodison – although this has always been ruled out as unaffordable.

The club is also understood to be carrying out a new search for sites with the city council. But in the past none of the sites identified by the council proved affordable because of the need for "enabling" development to help off-set the cost of the stadium.

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - Liverpool FC - News - Everton and Liverpool FC meet for stadium talks

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss
Is this where I go absolutely mental? Maybe I should be prudent and wait?

Standard internet protocol is to go ballistic now, abuse whoever you want and then go missing when the facts are revealed to be different.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Standard internet protocol is to go ballistic now, abuse whoever you want and then go missing when the facts are revealed to be different.

I'm on it!

Seriously, though... we need to wait. If he has gone there out of politeness and profesionalism and then told them to piss off, then fine. If this is remotely a serious suggestion then I'm kitting up like the Taliban.

Guest ShoePiss
I'm on it!

Seriously, though... we need to wait. If he has gone there out of politeness and profesionalism and then told them to piss off, then fine. If this is remotely a serious suggestion then I'm kitting up like the Taliban.

I hope they are seriously considering it, it will be one of the few things that will make the large ambivalent and apathetic sections of our support take notice and completely boycott the club until the owners sell up.

I think the groundshare will happen unless twat and twatter sell us soon.

It's good for them as it means very little money from there pockets to help build it.

It also means more money in there pockets from increase in capacity.

I also think RBS will be pushing for it as well,as it will be easier to get a potential buyer for us.

The only positive I can see is this might be what pushes most of the fans together on getting the owners out.

I think the groundshare will happen unless twat and twatter sell us soon.

It's good for them as it means very little money from there pockets to help build it.

It also means more money in there pockets from increase in capacity.

I also think RBS will be pushing for it as well,as it will be easier to get a potential buyer for us.

The only positive I can see is this might be what pushes most of the fans together on getting the owners out.

All of this is worryingly what I think.

. He said the option needed ruling in or out once and for all, and that above all clarity was needed.

Which bit of our response up until now - no, never, and no again - requires CLARITY, Mr Joe Anderson? Which bit of 'no' needs clearing up, i wonder? Can anyone help me there? Where have we done anything BUT rule it out?

Of course, we should no longer be surprised that a senior Labour politician and a Labour-run, taxpayer-funded quango have absolutely no respect for democracy because this government,and the whole New Labour project, firmly believes in telling us what to do. But is still sickens me. And the groundshare scheme won't go away because too many politicians and public 'servants' have a vested interest in making it happen.

What's the definitive word on developing Anfield? It would cheaper to buy off the houses surrounding Anfield, demolish them and expand the main stand than building a whole new stadium. And remaining at a limited Anfield is preferable to ever sharing with the BS on a permanent basis.

What's the definitive word on developing Anfield? It would cheaper to buy off the houses surrounding Anfield, demolish them and expand the main stand than building a whole new stadium. And remaining at a limited Anfield is preferable to ever sharing with the BS on a permanent basis.

Its been done to death mate.

Most preferable choice I'd say but not financially viable . Which makes you laugh because nothing is at our club.