You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alan Wiley is a joke

kopite1989

Sorry if this thread already exists bt I couldn't find it. I don't understand how he is still allowed to ref games!! Not just Liverpool games bt ANY game, ever game he refs there is always some stupid decision that annoys at least one of the teams playing, mostly both, fans don't like him, managers don like him, players don't like him, even other refs don't like him.....see dermoy gallagher on sky sports talking about wiley? Even he has ran out of excuses to protect that stupid prat.... Gggrrr, I think that's our my system now.

Wiley probably worries his superiors most by the way he implicates all of his team of assistants in his worst decisions. Plenty of refs miss glaring fouls and other incidents, but Wiley makes a point of consulting all of his assistants before demonstrating that they've ALL, apparently, missed them, too. It makes the whole system look incompetant.

I hate the way linsmen(?) never make their own decisions on things like throw ins.

They wait for refs to make the decision, then point their flag whatever way he gave it. Even when they are in a far better position than the ref.

Agreed, what's the point of having them, n don't forget there have been times linesmen have given it the right way n refs over rule them to get it wro go, n like u said, linesmen r often better placed to see it, the fa really need to sort out the refs or thing like the challange on lucas n maxi will just continue, a red card would have ended all that I think. Shame wiley has no balls.

Yesterday, with the Lucas and Maxi incidents, he made everyone think he was going to make the right decision by making a point of consulting his assistants...and then got it wrong. That's even worse than when some idiot like Lee Mason just shakes his head and carries on. The crowd just think Mason's an arrogant idiot. What Wiley does is make the crowd think EVERYONE'S an idiot. An air of hopelessness descends after that.

In fairness to Wiley, that game never exploded. It simmered throughout but he managed to keep a lid on most things and it never got to open warfare.

I think he deserves a little bit of credit for that.

There's infinitely worse in my opinion, Bennett for a kick off closely followed by Mason, Atkinson & Webb.

They are all crap refs in the league.

Some are cunts. Some are wankers. But they are all crap.

The FA will never get it sorted either. They have no interest in doing so.

Yesterday was a disgrace, in our game and the Carling cup game. Vidic should have gone for that. Fucking dreadful refereeing.

They are all crap refs in the league.

Some are cunts. Some are wankers. But they are all crap.

The FA will never get it sorted either. They have no interest in doing so.

Yesterday was a disgrace, in our game and the Carling cup game. Vidic should have gone for that. Fucking dreadful refereeing.

The most bizarre thing is that he didn't even get a yellow, which you'd expect for a shirt pull/wrestle like that, even if the ref (somehow) didn't deem being clear in the box a 'goalscoring opportunity'.

As for Wiley, he was clearly determined to be lenient yesterday, which is usually fine until one team (or both) try to take advantage of it - Blackburn being high on the list of teams you'd expect to do so.

The most bizarre thing is that he didn't even get a yellow, which you'd expect for a shirt pull/wrestle like that, even if the ref (somehow) didn't deem being clear in the box a 'goalscoring opportunity'.

As for Wiley, he was clearly determined to be lenient yesterday, which is usually fine until one team (or both) try to take advantage of it - Blackburn being high on the list of teams you'd expect to do so.

Spot on mate.... Give Blackburn n inch n they will start booting the crap out of people. Still the refs in this lg r a joke! Does my head in

I hate the way linsmen(?) never make their own decisions on things like throw ins.

They wait for refs to make the decision, then point their flag whatever way he gave it. Even when they are in a far better position than the ref.

Just a word or two in response to this.

I line matches and when the ref gives us our instructions before the match usually about throw ins they will say something like 'In your third I'll go with you, near half way look at each other and go the same way and in my third go with me'. If the liner flags one way and the ref points the other it looks bad and so we are told to use eye contact to try to ensure that that does not happen. Re fouls (even penalties) if it is on the blind side of the ref then the liner is told to flag with an indication of what for (hand ball, trip, tug ...whatever) but if the ref has a clear view largely leave it to him rather than flag and possibly undermine him.

I have no reason to assume that instructions (which i think make sense) are any different at PL level, although in the PL they all have 'buzzer' flags and so can alert refs straight away if they want to flag for something. I have used such flags twice this season - they are cool!! - no yelling across the pitch to the ref if theres an offside on the far side or if a team wants to make a sub!! In fact some of the refs I line for do Welsh Prem and minor international matches and so they are at quite a highish level in reffing. At times pundits on radio and TV do not seem to understand the relationship between liner and ref, but in many ways I can accept that it is the fault of match officials as they do not come out and explain it in the media enough.

I know I occasionally make cock ups at the level I am at but when I see some of the crap lining on TV I have to say that it makes me feel a lot better - the CL one in the Fiorentina V Bayern game last week for instance was a joke as was the Wigan V Spurs one a week or so ago.

I know it can never be proven and sounds ridiculous but I'm convinced that if I didn't know better this season - refs' are systematically acting against or targetting us to be made an example of; I think they're doing this by Deliberately denying us clear decisions since I can remember at least 3 Red Cards for our opponents and 4 penalties to us that have been denied with at least one ref' (that disgrace Dowd) saying something like ''Not on my watch'' with a smile as well!!! There's been just FAR to many CLEAR decisions that SHOULD have been our favour either NOT given or worse given the opposite way for it to be a coincidence this time - FAR to many.

After all this, I think again, Then? Well, then I look at the composition of the Premier League's Professional Game Match Officials Board (or whatever it's called) who runs the refereees, I see who runs THEM (One Mr Michael Riley who retired from active reffing last season) and everything becomes rather more clear......................................

NB With all that adversity in mind - isn't it remarkable that we've won TEN home league games by 1st March? This means we COULD have the chance by the seasons end of taking full points from all bar FOUR home games (Villa, Arsenal, Brum' and City) IF we win the rest which is rather remarkable When in recent seasons (particuarly Houllier's last one) we've struggled to win ten Home League Matches all SEASON, never mind more. But then it's like the little Dutch boy with the dykes isn't it? Because no sooner do we solve our problem of Home Draws than we're presented with several more - namely Home Defeats (had almost forgotten them), Away Form down the toilet (that to after last season) and worst of all - pattern of play utterly destroyed (no idea what we'll do about THAT one).

Edited by Redshadow

Just a word or two in response to this.

I have no reason to assume that instructions (which i think make sense) are any different at PL level,

Just FYI. I managed to get hold of a FIFA training manual for referees and assistants and the guidance was exactly along the lines you've described.