You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Maxi and Torres.

Kopite Pete

Guest Numero Veinticinco

For years I've been keen on signing Maxi. I'm glad we've finally got him, it's just a shame that it wasn't 5 years ago. I think he'll prove to be a very astute signing.

It is no surprise to see our attacking play improve when the likes of Torres, Gerrard, Maxi and Yossi are all either back from injury or settling in. We'll be even more attacking when Johnson comes back.

It was hardly spectacular but if it starts to happen more regularly then it could be interesting. I'd prefer him out on the right to Kuyt, who happens to be the best defender in the league by breaking down all OUR attacks. Great if it works.

More importantly though, Gerrard and Torres were on the same wavelength yesterday so let's hope it's business as usual with those 2.

Teh thing that impressed me most about maxi yesterday is that he doesn't appear to concede possession very often, which for us is quite novel these days!

On the downside though, he appears to be the next winger in line with next to no pace whatsoever.

Hopefully he will have the tricks in his locker to get past people instead though.

We'll see.

He wasn't playing at all for Atletico, so he's probably really only getting a decent level of match fitness now. Hopefully he will prove a good foil for Torres given their history. I reckon we'll see a lot more from him in the coming weeks.

Guest the boy

We'll be completely transformed with regards to keeping and moving the ball with Torres, Benayoun, Maxi and Johnson assuming positions out wide and up front.

Maxi will hopefully emerge as a Riera with a little more bite and goals in his locker.

definately the most promising display from maxi so far, and i agree with Tom about keeping possession, that was somethign that he did very well yesterday.

Also, in general, the two goals we scored show what can happen when you pass the ball quickly, and with forward intent. The first in particular is the sort of move (let alone goal) that we simply havent seen enough of for too long. Quick, incisive, good movement, passess to feet etc)

Teh thing that impressed me most about maxi yesterday is that he doesn't appear to concede possession very often, which for us is quite novel these days!

On the downside though, he appears to be the next winger in line with next to no pace whatsoever. Hopefully he will have the tricks in his locker to get past people instead though.

We'll see.

That's the truth.

Babel has pace but is thick as pigshit.

Thing is they'd all be good if they wee surrounded by players with pace.

We need a quick winger who isn't thick and has good skill and technique.

That's the truth.

Babel has pace but is thick as pigshit.

Thing is they'd all be good if they wee surrounded by players with pace.

We need a quick winger who isn't thick and has good skill and technique.

Aye. Don't get me wrong, it's not necessarily a bad thing to not be the quickest in the world.

I'd much rather have someone who's intelligent with the ball, than a mindless sprinter like Babel/Cisse and players of that ilk.

there's too much emphasis on pace these days for my liking.

It's important, of course, but technical ability is far too often sacrificed at the table to pace for my liking.

I think maxi could go on to be decent, because of his technical ability. But I was hopeful that Riera could do that as well, and he's hardly shaped in to the new Barnes.

IMO he`ll be fuckin shit, as i said about Reira after a few games and got slagged off for having an opinion so early. You can just see he`s not gonna be up to it. I await the negs!

Riera played really, really well in his early games for us. That's probably why you got "slagged off", if you did at all.

I'm on the fence so far with Maxi, but as i say, just keeping possession is half the battle when out wide, and he can at least do that.

I'm hopeful but cautious. Nothing more.

He will serve a purpose for sure. I think he may be past his best but his technical ability will be an asset. Reminds me of Kewell in 05/06 when he played a lot of games from November onwards and although nowhere near his best he was good enough to ensure we kept possesion really well and did his job. We went on two very good runs during that time and although Kewell wasn't a star he played an important part in the balance of the team.

I dont rate him, But what do I know. He may be good but I dont think the pace of the premiership will suit him. He needs time on the ball and he simply wont get it here. You could see in the derby and other high profile games he was a passanger.

He looks to slow for me.

This will not be very popular here, but Maxi is like a mixture of Kuyt and Lucas. Kuyt in that he tries hard, sees the right pass (Kuyt sees them but cannot execute them), has a good eye also for goals. Lucas in that he keeps it simple, is patient, and carries out the instructions of the manager. On top of that he also has good technical skills, and enough flair to do the unexpected.

I like the way he plays, but then again, I also like the way Lucas plays. Simple modern football, no hoofs, trusting your team mates, knowing your role.

On the downside though, he appears to be the next winger in line with next to no pace whatsoever.

Hopefully he will have the tricks in his locker to get past people instead though.

We'll see.

This.

He doesn't give the ball away cheaply that's the main thng for me. The amount of possession we squandered on Sunday was terrible, we cant seem to move the ball quickly enough with Masch and Lucas in there. With Gerrard back in the middle he does try to switch the play quicker and Maxi will get on the ball more with Gerrard in the middle and to be fair he did get to the byline a few times, however if Rafa leaves Gerrard in the middle he then loses the best attacking formation we have with Gerrard and Torres, it's a tough decision for Rafa but I think he will go with Gerrard behind Torres everytime !

IMO he`ll be fuckin shit, as i said about Reira after a few games and got slagged off for having an opinion so early. You can just see he`s not gonna be up to it. I await the negs!

That would make far more sense if everyone actually agreed that Reira was fuckin shit. You're talking like it's universally agreed.