You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Career Change

Guest LFD

They'll deffo give you an exit interview and want to know why you are leaving. 

Unless you're shit, and then they won't be arsed.

4K more redundancies this yr all from attrition. They aren’t arsed.

And I’m shit.

• Upvote 1

4K more redundancies this yr all from attrition. They aren’t arsed.

And I’m shit.

Thats tough to hear.

For your next employer. 

Just messin, hope it goes well for you fella. And don't forget to snot the cunt on the way out. 

Because he’s dick. I’m going over his head tomorrow, he’s still not started the formal leave process (hols, pension etc).

Fucking hell. You’re going to a competitor. They should have marched you out.

Schoolboy error. And it’s denying you some time off. Start making some waves.

Fucking hell. You’re going to a competitor. They should have marched you out.

Schoolboy error. And it’s denying you some time off. Start making some waves.

Get agitating, you mean?

What did you do about it in the end? I'm a Business Analyst, which is a clever way of saying I make suggestions but take no responsibility for any decisions. I like my job, but it very easily gets confused by people thinking it's simply providing stats and reports. It's made twice as difficult by having a snowflake manager who doesn't refuse requests from other departments so I spend much of my time building dashboards and trend charts than actually analysing data.

The pay scale is massively wider than it should be, so it depends on how seriously your company takes the role. Some offer pretty derisory salaries but then I've also seen roles that hit between £50k-£60k. I pretty much earn what I expect the job is worth but if I could find a BA role at the upper end of the scale I'd be sorely tempted even though the flexitime and perks my current place offers is the best I've experienced in my career.

I didn't end up in for it, I'm pretty much stuck in the south east until Autumn because of my flat.  Even though my company is loudly and vocally pro flexible working (hours and location) and I offered to travel most weeks to spend time with the main project team (in the south west, where I'm from - so I would've commuted from my parent's) there apparently aren't any projects in all of the south east and so it would've been impossible...

At which point I guessed the manager may not have been the best lateral thinker/problem solver in the world.  Although also fairly sure he was just waiting for it to get through the internal phase so he could go external and get someone entry-level for cheap.

That or he knew me by name (doubtful) and was swerving me.

Student loan has been confirmed.  There's nothing between me and jacking it all in and going back to Uni now.

SHHHHIIIIIITTTTTTT

I had mine in really early. That letter which essentially says "congratulations you are now in £75,000 of debt" is a bit of mixed bag to receive.

Ha! Good luck Paulie; teaching is a difficult but rewarding career that I could never do in a million years.

12 years in and I'm starting to doubt my choice of architecture as a career. I'm burning out at 33 and it's not worth it. Trouble is, I don't see any better options out there!

The key thing for me when I essentially made the decision of "fuck it I'm doing what I want to do" was largely the same, about 31 or 32 years old and just generally being depressed and disinterested in pretty much everything (I have had longstanding issues with depression anyway for reasons I don't really wish to go into) and needing to change.

The problem is that you make decisions at 16 that are expected to shape the rest of your life without really knowing enough to be certain. Or in my case, you know exactly what you want to do but people tell you what you should do and unless you're massively confident you end up down a path you didn't want.

I had my parents saying I was too clever to do what I wanted to do, my "careers advisor" telling me that I was too clever to do what I wanted to do and that it's not a "proper job".

So on top of being depressive anyway I got thrown into studying stuff that while I am interested in it and actually good at it (mixture of programming and electronics engineering essentially) I didn't want to do and then a good 5 years of self medicating to try and force myself through the day. If it hadn't been for the motorsport side of things I'd have been off a bridge years ago. 

Slowly worked my way to being full time working for myself over the course of the next 3 or 4 years, then went full time for myself over four years ago (it will be 5 years in September).

Then as you may or may not have seen from this thread, having had the time to think clearly and be able to decide what I want I've since started studying again, but this time doing something I actually want to do and which will help the business along as well.

Doing the business part time first was a big jump, then taking that plunge and taking redundancy over a pay rise and promotion and then studying again have all felt like massive steps into the unknown. But each time it's been a case of at least knowing it's my decision and a move towards being what I want to be rather than what other people think.

Ultimately for me it was a case of looking at what I want versus what I need and the respective values of it all. I have to play the game to an extent as you have no option but to interact with the world at large. But to an extent I at least vaguely play it on my terms.

I may be skint but I'm way more positive and happy than I've been in years.

Don't get me wrong I would obviously like more stuff and more money would be beneficial but it's hitting that balance between that and not spending all of my time chasing that and being unhappy as a result. I drive around in a borderline fucked A6 which is a write off every time it has do diesel in it and it's the kind of shit I know there are people who judge me on it, but I'm not the one in huge amounts of debt to pretend my life is awesome because I have a brand new car. I drive a 50 grand car, I just didn't pay that for it.

It's always quite amusing that I know people who have a this tendency towards me like I should be pitied because I'm constantly driving around in old shaggers and covered in oil or have my hands ripped to bits constantly. But they're totally oblivious to the fact I have a rally car worth more than their houses which I've retired because it's too valuable to compete in anymore.

Not really sure where I was going at the end there, trying to make a point I'm not intelligent enough to articulate about what constitutes being "rich". Essentially, that on the surface of it I have no money and I'm massively skint, but I have no debt and an absolute shit ton of money that just hasn't been turned into money yet but which I value more as it is rather than the cash I guess.

TLDR: You could potentially have another 34 years of working unless you have a mega pension scheme or you have a windfall. If you think it's not right for you, find what is and DO IT. 

What matters is your priorities, what you value and what you think will make you fulfilled. You'll spend way more time dead than you did alive, 8 hours a day doing something you don't want to is something you should be avoiding at all costs if you can. 

If you do make a change and people don't get it, then they are people you probably should have fuck all to do with anyway. Anyone who actually cares about you or values you will be all for it and support it.

• Upvote 5

Know where you’re coming from with all that, chev.

Good on you mate.

Cheers old chap. I can get a bit fucking preachy on it.

However, I really think that in general if more people did shit that they either enjoyed or at the very least they went home and felt like they'd accomplished something then the world would be a better place. My grandad was a joiner and there were points he absolutely hated it, but on the other hand you should have seen him talking about stuff he'd built and that pride in looking at buildings in Newcastle or ships and going "I built that". I can't imaging people sitting in 40 years time going "you see that, I typed it up and put it in a filing cabinet". 

I've had tons of jobs where you never feel like you actually finish something, whereas now even when I'm doing some consultancy shit which I'm not as into as other things, it's a case of you get to the end and you've finished it. It's not the same as getting an engine to fire up for the first time after you've built it up from scratch or anything, but it's still at least got an element of accomplishment to it. 

Seems to me like half the shit going on is people essentially just being trapped and angry at everything. Once you're in that cycle it's really hard to see a way to change things, even more so if you've got debt hanging around you as well. The point I started trying to get the business going initially just seemed like it was a massive big step, when really it was quite simple and easy.  But when you're locked into that hamster wheel and just trying to get by on top of a 40 hour week and travel to work etc. it really can seem like it's insurmountable.

Get me, turning all philosophical and shit in my old age. 

• Upvote 1

Ha! Good luck Paulie; teaching is a difficult but rewarding career that I could never do in a million years.

12 years in and I'm starting to doubt my choice of architecture as a career. I'm burning out at 33 and it's not worth it. Trouble is, I don't see any better options out there!

Would you not consider what RJ does? Planning department/consultancy type jazz?

lots of work in film/TV (in Canada anyways).

architects make excellent set designers and art directors....just saying.

• Upvote 1

Finally got an email today from the boss saying he’s sure I’ll understand why I have been excluded from meetings lately. I say I don’t as there’s either a conflict or there isn’t, it’s like not being able to be half-pregnant. Told him I want HR confirmation and I’m not happy with the way I’m being treated after a 22 yr career*

*using this word in the loosest possible terms.

I’ve just excepted a job and been told I have to do a working at heights course on wind turbines. I am shit at heights but thought it will be ok access is via an internal staircase and I’ll just about cope with that.

Turns out it is on the outside in a fucking harness. In the middle of the sea.

• Upvote 6

I’ve just excepted a job and been told I have to do a working at heights course on wind turbines. I am shit at heights but thought it will be ok access is via an internal staircase and I’ll just about cope with that.

I’m pretty sure the turbines will bend over to you when you arrive.

• Upvote 1

How do you get a job like that? Sounds fun